Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Kay

API GENERAL CURE (PARASITIC)

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what your opinion is of API GENERAL CURE which is available readily in Petsmart & Petco. It is a powdered treatment for parasitic fish disease, gill & skin flukes, swollen abdomen, wasting disease, hole-in-the-head.

I took notes:

Active Ingredients: 250mg Metronidazole and 75mg Praziquantel per packet.

Has anyone used it? How effective was it?

A friend of mine is treating his 40g tank (with 4 common goldfish) with this product.

I don't remember ever reading this product mentioned on this site.

He has salted the water, 1 Tblsp. per 5 gallons and added one packet of the General Cure per 10g of water to his tank per the instructions.

Unfortunately, I don't live closeby so I can't really follow exactly what's going on but just wondering if I could pass along any advice? Thank you in advance :)

This sounds like a dnalex question. Ill pm him a link. I know im no help here lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would suggest to him to upgrade to a 75 (at least) 4 commons in a 40 isn't the best at about 10-11 gallons per fish. It is recommended that each fish gets 15-20 gallons of water (preferably 20) and the tank if using hang on back filters has 10x filtration per hour. I've never used general cure, so I'm not quite sure. But the metro, if your friend is just treating for flukes, is likely not needed. Also ask him if he can get Morton's canning and pickling salt. It is much more inexpensive than aquarium salt. I think it's maybe 1-2 doses for a 4 pound box of it.

What are his tank parameters and how offten does he do water changes?

Edited by Mikey

Hi everyone, I was just wondering what your opinion is of API GENERAL CURE which is available readily in Petsmart & Petco. It is a powdered treatment for parasitic fish disease, gill & skin flukes, swollen abdomen, wasting disease, hole-in-the-head.

I took notes:

A friend of mine is treating his 40g tank (with 4 common goldfish) with this product.

He has salted the water, 1 Tblsp. per 5 gallons and added one packet of the General Cure per 10g of water to his tank per the instructions.

Unfortunately, I don't live closeby so I can't really follow exactly what's going on but just wondering if I could pass along any advice? Thank you in advance :)

Hello, General Cure has its place in the medicine chest, but it's not my first choice. Moreover, the directions given on the box makes it that the metro is largely ineffective, since it's not being given to the fish in anywhere near the appropriate amount of time.

If you have to pick up something and treat right away, Tetra Parasite Guard is a much better option, although even then, it's still excessive.

I took notes:

What is he treating them for?

Sorry for the short response of 'thanks' above, I had to run!

I really appreciate all of your concern and help. I have been unable to reach him to re-lay information. I texted him and referred him to KoKo's so he can take care of it, although it's probably too late. I've decided not to get involved with this person in this matter, I don't think he takes his fish seriously like some of us :)

Thank you Daniel for your help in contacting dnalex the GREATONE.

Thank you Mikey.

Thank you dnalex.

Thank you ahardeay.

I appreciate it.