Bye Bye Black Sand and reasons why.

4prettyfish

I definitely wasn't trying to imply you were using it as a scapegoat! I don't type as much or as well as I should when I mobile post. If you felt you're fish was having issues than taking it out was a good move. I just think with any community you (collective you) have to be careful with wording and not spooking other members. Sand can be safe substrate and is more or less. However there is nothing wrong with barebottom. It looks nice and is low maintenance. But I guess what I was trying to say is members shouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding substrate vs no substrate until all the sides are evaluated. I'm sorry if I offended you as that really wasn't my intent! I just think it's important to see both sides of every topic and not let fear or hesitancy skew things.

I appreciate your first sentence but you are implying it to someone on that above prior comment from the 31st. :( I have been very careful choosing my words while I type. With all this said MK, I am very sincere with my email to you. I want you to know this, okay?

My Valentino is having issues and like what I shared with my post I'm not sure if it could have been due to the sand or not. It could have been a coincident or not. I think it could be related though. I personally didn't want to take any chances because my fish has always been healthy for the 20 months I've had him. Then boom, I put the sand in and he's in qt now. I'm not trying to spook anyone or jump to any conclusions. It's a fact of what happened to my fish. I'm telling what I experienced and learned. Just like others have shared on my topic here. I too think it's important to see both sides of every topic. You said, "Sand can be safe substrate and is more or less." (to me that leaves a thought/question) I've said other breeders use both the barebottom and sand/substrate. I've read it from both sides of some breeders. Anyway, I'm kind of repeating post # 19 but just wording it differently.

I wanted to share my experience with my sand I had in my tank and what I decided to do.

I believe in my previous post the person said "some members" and I agreed. I did not single you out nor did I intend to. I was actually referring to other instances mostly since the issue you had is not related to the issue many people are worried about (which is impaction or gill damage).

When I said sand could be safe more or less I meant that relatively speaking. If you have four inches of sand than that is not safe. Substrate that deep is never safe. But if it's done right it is a safe option. Any element of a closed system can be dangerous if not properly maintained. Was it the cause of valentinos problems? Maybe. I really couldn't tell you. All that matters is that he is healthy. I kept my tanks barebottom for quite a few years before I began planting them so I know how nice they can be. Again I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just wish we knew for certain because as a scientist I don't really like to speculate if I can help it!

I believe in my previous post the person said "some members" and I agreed. I did not single you out nor did I intend to. I was actually referring to other instances mostly since the issue you had is not related to the issue many people are worried about (which is impaction or gill damage).

When I said sand could be safe more or less I meant that relatively speaking. If you have four inches of sand than that is not safe. Substrate that deep is never safe. But if it's done right it is a safe option. Any element of a closed system can be dangerous if not properly maintained. Was it the cause of valentinos problems? Maybe. I really couldn't tell you. All that matters is that he is healthy. I kept my tanks barebottom for quite a few years before I began planting them so I know how nice they can be. Again I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I just wish we knew for certain because as a scientist I don't really like to speculate if I can help it!

Thank you for the clarification above in your first paragraph and for your response in your second. I did know this information in your second paragraph and I didn't have a lot of sand in my tank and I have no lid on it either. I could go on but won't at this time. No more apologies needed MK. My feelings aren't hurt. Your explaining, as am I. I'm good if your good. :)

It's all a matter of taste! I tried BB and HATED it -- couldn't stand seeing poop on the bottom and didn't have time to be fishing it out all the time. It WILL eventually get sucked into the filters, but it drove me nuts. Black sand is a great solution for me--cleaner than gravel and I can look at the tank and not freak out LOL.

Your tank looks gorgeous! And the main thing is that YOU love it! :)

It's all a matter of taste! I tried BB and HATED it -- couldn't stand seeing poop on the bottom and didn't have time to be fishing it out all the time. It WILL eventually get sucked into the filters, but it drove me nuts. Black sand is a great solution for me--cleaner than gravel and I can look at the tank and not freak out LOL.

Your tank looks gorgeous! And the main thing is that YOU love it! :)

Thank you for the compliment. I totally agree with you that having a tank barebottom or with sand is all a matter of taste for the individual. I've always liked both. When I first came onto koko's (going on two years ago) my daughter had her small tank with the colorful gravel. She was about 13 and decorated her tank the way she wanted to. I thought it was okay and cute. When we upgraded the tank and brought it into the living room I also found Koko's site. I was advised that the gravel wasn't good for the small fish. Choking hazard. We took it out along with ornaments that had holes. We went barebottom and didn't look back for probably 1 1/2 years or so until recently when I added the sand. Having a barebottom tank I rarely see any poop. My huge filters are pretty good at picking that up. I loved having the sand also. I think it's gorgeous.

My post is why I changed back to barebottom from having sand. It's what I think is best for my fish even though I loved the sand and look of it. For me, it's about my fish staying healthy and I believe that a barebottom tank will give them a better chance of that.

Hi Cheryl. I think your tank looks FANTASTIC!!!!! It's your tank and you should keep it the way you want to!!!!

Hi Dawn. :D

Thank you for the compliment and comment. I agree with you, and I think we should all keep our tanks the way we want to.

But I believe sand isn't the way to go anymore.