Bye Bye Black Sand and reasons why.

4prettyfish

Hi Everyone,

I had gradually added 25 pounds of black sand to my goldfish tank about 7 weeks ago. I really loved it a lot. But I had thoughts of taking it out about a week ago. The reason why is because my Red Cap Oranda (Valentino) has been having some tail issues for about 1 1/2 weeks now. He's been in qt. while I've been trying to heal it up. I've had Valentino for 20 months and I've never had any health issues with him before. Could this be a coincident with the sand and him getting sick shortly after I added the sand to his home? Personally, I think it could all be related. Then I started thinking about the sand getting lodged in my Oranda's wen crevices and even perhaps my Pearlscale's Crown. I don't want to take any kind of chances with any of my fish and their wens and crown. I also started wondering if they were putting sand into their stomachs while eating their pellets. I didn't want to take any chances of them having any kind of stomach problems either. I thought it was best for me to take the sand out.

Taylor and I had some free time today so we tackled the 60 gallon tank. As the tank was being drained I put the other two fish in a 5 gallon bucket. The sand was removed, filters cleaned, and the glass all wiped down. I was a little sad in the beginning for I did love the sand but once I started adding back the plants and stones as the water started filling up the tank I knew I made the right decision for myself and most importantly for my fish.

I think their environment is much cleaner without the sand trapping any kind of nasties that I might not necessarily see. I always do a huge 85% water change every 5 days with 3 good size fish residing in it. So I'm back to barebottom and loving it once again. :)

Here are some photo's of my tank now with all my live plants. I think with the black sand removed my tank looks brighter. I will feel much better now when Valentino returns back into the tank without the sand and potential problems.

[/url]">http://3-30-14sandoutbettaalso002_zps1c0b13ca.j

[/url]">http://3-30-14sandoutbettaalso001_zps7f0ec585.j

[/url]">http://3-30-14sandoutbettaalso004_zpse0fa9a20.j

[/url]">http://3-30-14sandoutbettaalso003_zpsfaf7ba98.j

Thank you for reading this.

Usually eating some sand is beneficial much like fiber, but the barebottom looks nice too. I switched back to barebottom because I was having issues with sand and my HOB filters, but I used the sand in my snail only planted tank and it looks great, that tank is powered by sponge filters.

Your tank looks AWESOME barebottom.

I have sand in my betta tank and I'm happy with it there but I think it'd be incredibly annoying to deal with in a goldfish tank. It looks beautiful but it's frustrating to work with.

I'm sorry the sand didn't work out for you, especially since you liked it so much. That being said I really love the look of your tank bb and your fish look happy!

Thank you Bronwyn. :) While doing all this I decided to cut the baby swords from the mother sword. I put the two babies :) in my betta tank until they get a little bit bigger. I'll probably post photo's in my betta thread tomorrow about this.

Usually eating some sand is beneficial much like fiber, but the barebottom looks nice too. I switched back to barebottom because I was having issues with sand and my HOB filters, but I used the sand in my snail only planted tank and it looks great, that tank is powered by sponge filters.

I've heard about the sand being like fiber but I've also thought, What if the sand has any kind of sharpness and scratches inside the stomach in any way? I'm just being cautious. I'm sorry you were having problems with your sand and hob filters. I didn't have any problems with that. When I did clean the filters though I did find a little bit of sand in it. So I was even happier that my filters didn't stop on me. :) I'm glad you found other use for your sand. I just threw all mine out the dumpster. I even had a lot of gravel and fluorite that I threw away that was in the tank prior to the sand. I was worried about even a more build up of fish poo and all. Not to mention a choking hazard. Your snail only planted tank looks awesome. You have a lot of gorgeous snails in it.

Your tank looks AWESOME barebottom.

I have sand in my betta tank and I'm happy with it there but I think it'd be incredibly annoying to deal with in a goldfish tank. It looks beautiful but it's frustrating to work with.

Awe. :) Thank you so much. I appreciate it. I bet your betta tank looks beautiful. My experience with sand in my goldfish tank was great. I had no problems with it at all and I really liked it a lot. I took it out for precautionary reasons.

I'm sorry the sand didn't work out for you, especially since you liked it so much. That being said I really love the look of your tank bb and your fish look happy!

Thank you Bronwyn. :) While doing all this I decided to cut the baby swords from the mother sword. I put the two babies :) in my betta tank until they get a little bit bigger. I'll probably post photo's in my betta thread tomorrow about this.

I've heard about the sand being like fiber but I've also thought, What if the sand has any kind of sharpness and scratches inside the stomach in any way? I'm just being cautious. I'm sorry you were having problems with your sand and hob filters. I didn't have any problems with that. When I did clean the filters though I did find a little bit of sand in it. So I was even happier that my filters didn't stop on me. :) I'm glad you found other use for your sand. I just threw all mine out the dumpster. I even had a lot of gravel and fluorite that I threw away that was in the tank prior to the sand. I was worried about even a more build up of fish poo and all. Not to mention a choking hazard. Your snail only planted tank looks awesome. You have a lot of gorgeous snails in it.

Looking forward to the pictures! Thinking I'm going to clip mine tomorrow :)

Looking forward to the pictures! Thinking I'm going to clip mine tomorrow :)

It wasn't painful for me. haha Or the plants. hahaha :)

No matter what you choose Cheryl, your tank and fish look absolutely amazing! :hug

Thank you Mikey. I appreciate it and I'm not regretting it. :)

I love your new look :)

my plants def loved the sand but after Rusty developing a cyst and max's problems I had removed my sand a few months ago and I don't think I'll ever go there again...its bare bottom all the way for me from now on :)

It looks amazing, Cheryl. We tried sand last summer - the ordinary sand-colored sand. I don't think eating it was problematic but it did make the tank harder to clean and for lazy folk like me (not you!) I thought it might get me into trouble eventually.

Bummer that the sand didn't work for you, Cheryl :( I'm sorry it was potentially effecting your fish too! But your tank look amazing now too :thumb:

There seems to be a lot of members who are having trouble with sand lately, it's so odd. :hmm

Your tank looks lovely anyway! :D

I think this is mostly just members having problems and blaming it on something (in this case sand). Tanks look fine with or without it but I think it's essential to evaluate issues correctly rather than just using whatever scapegoat seems most convenient. You could end up glazing over a real issue that has come to fruition yet. Sorry the sand didn't work out! It's a shame because goldies love it so much.

I agree with the following post 100% and was going to post nearly the same thing last night but decided against it. Yes I have seen a few posts lately where people who had sand were having problems but it seems people will all sorts if substrate, or lack of it, have problems.

There seems to be a lot of members who are having trouble with sand lately, it's so odd. :hmm

I think this is mostly just members having problems and blaming it on something (in this case sand). Tanks look fine with or without it but I think it's essential to evaluate issues correctly rather than just using whatever scapegoat seems most convenient. You could end up glazing over a real issue that has come to fruition yet. Sorry the sand didn't work out! It's a shame because goldies love it so much.

I love your new look :)

my plants def loved the sand but after Rusty developing a cyst and max's problems I had removed my sand a few months ago and I don't think I'll ever go there again...its bare bottom all the way for me from now on :)

Thank you Shelly. :) I'm sorry you were having a medical problem with Rusty. I think removing the sand will keep his environment cleaner which will give him a better chance of staying healthier.

It looks amazing, Cheryl. We tried sand last summer - the ordinary sand-colored sand. I don't think eating it was problematic but it did make the tank harder to clean and for lazy folk like me (not you!) I thought it might get me into trouble eventually.

Thank you Susanne for the compliment. :) I'm sorry you thought having sand was harder to keep clean. I think down the road if a fish were to continue to eat sand it could be problematic. I didn't want to take the chance that's one reason why I removed it even though I loved it and didn't have any problems with it while doing water changes.

Hi. Sorry to read about your troubles. If you wanted to try to keep some sand to plant in, you could try what I did below...

IMAG1750.jpg

Thanks Jason for the suggestion. I do like how you decorated your tank but if I were to do something like that I would still have sand in my tank for my fish to get to. I don't want any sand available for my fish. I might go the route of purchasing some of those small enclosed containers for plants. No sand/substrate will fall out. Eatfood has them and look great.

I'm sorry that the sand didn't work out for you! :( Either way, your tank is lovely! :heart

Thank you Tammy. I appreciate it a lot.

Thank you for the compliment Georgia. I appreciate it. I would like to make this clear, please: I was not having trouble with my sand. I loved it. I took it out to have a cleaner environment for my fish especially after Valentino had and still does have tail problems. I want to keep my water and tank as clean as I possibly can. And for also the other reasons stated in my topic that I wanted to share with everyone here.

Bummer that the sand didn't work for you, Cheryl :( I'm sorry it was potentially effecting your fish too! But your tank look amazing now too :thumb:

Thank you Aubrey. I appreciate it.

sorry the sand didn't work out for you. I'm still a big fan of bare bottom tanks, even if I don't keep one anymore ;) the tank looks great :)

Thank you Jess. I've too have been a fan of barebottom tanks and even the sanded tanks. I just don't think it's best for my fish anymore for reasons stated in my topic.

It looks lovely, Cheryl. :) Sorry the sand didn't work out.

Thank you Dan. :) Much appreciated.

MK, I hope you see my comment back to Georgia in regards to what she wrote to me.

MK and Jason. (seeing you agreed with pearlscaleperfect's comment 100%) Please fill free to say whatever you think. It's okay. :)

I'd like to address your comment, please. I think your first couple of sentences were on the harsh side. And to use the word "scapegoat" for any member here. :( From what I can remember some members took out the sand for having filter/motor problems. They took it out because they found it easier to maintain their tank. Then you can read some members here saying their reasons. And I'm sure there are many other members that took out their sand for other reasons. I took it out for a few different reasons for myself as stated above in my initial topic. I'm not using sand as my scapegoat for having a fish with tail issues and just to make this clear, I'm not glazing over Valentino's issues. I'm trying to help him.

I agree with you that tanks look fine with our without the sand. To each their own. I love seeing all different kinds of setups here. :)

Prior to taking out my sand I was doing some research and found a site with someone asking the question of; barebottom or sand/substrate. There were breeders that have answered this question. Breeders have answered to both. I think barebottom was coming out ahead though. If breeders are raising their fry/young and older fish barebottom I'd like to think that the fish don't miss what they don't have. They are choosing barebottom for a reason. I guess my fish might have liked the sand. I don't really know. My daughter liked it better barebottom because her thinking was that the fish were constantly picking up sand and having a harder time eating the food. With my sand gone now I don't see a difference of my fish missing it either.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I definitely wasn't trying to imply you were using it as a scapegoat! I don't type as much or as well as I should when I mobile post. If you felt you're fish was having issues than taking it out was a good move. I just think with any community you (collective you) have to be careful with wording and not spooking other members. Sand can be safe substrate and is more or less. However there is nothing wrong with barebottom. It looks nice and is low maintenance. But I guess what I was trying to say is members shouldn't jump to any conclusions regarding substrate vs no substrate until all the sides are evaluated. I'm sorry if I offended you as that really wasn't my intent! I just think it's important to see both sides of every topic and not let fear or hesitancy skew things.

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect