Using plastic bottles as baffle for filters in goldie tanks

Hzleys87

Hi guys,

I wanted to get a general opinion on this.

I'm looking into making a baffle for my filters to lessen the current flow in my aquarium and I like the system that this aquarist uses:

My concern however in using a plastic bottle is the possibility of the plastic deteriorating and releasing toxins into the water over time. I've been reading articles that touch upon this- and some sources say that the levels are negligible, but they speak in terms for human consumption- but what I wonder is can the same be said for goldfish or any fish, really?

I'm okay with perhaps having to routinely replace them, but I wonder how often I should be if that's the case?

What do you guys think? Or what have you heard in regards?

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you try attaching a piece of filter floss to the output? I personally either use a rubberband or stuff some floss in the front of the filter basket and let some hang out.

Would you like me to get a pic of my filter setup for you?

Edited by Georgia

• Admin

Why don't you try attaching a piece of filter floss to the output? I personally either use a rubberband or hang or stuff in the front of the filter and let some hang out.

thats what I did with my emperor filter... darn thing was noisy :o

If you are changing water regularly, there is virtually no chance of accumulating toxins in the tank. Even if something does leach out of the plastic, the leaching would be very slow.

Assuming that something is leaching out of the bottle, the longer the bottle is in the water, the less is left in the plastic to leach. So the last thing you would want to do is replace the bottle regularly.

I have used old coke bottles, in the past, and they worked very nicely.

What's your filtration/tank size?

I have 65 gallon, running with two aquaclear 70s. Typically I've never had a problem with currents before, but this time around I have little 2" fish that are struggling so I just wanted to improvise something as they get bigger.

Why don't you try attaching a piece of filter floss to the output? I personally either use a rubberband or stuff some floss in the front of the filter basket and let some hang out.

That would be awesome! I would love to see this set-up so I can get an idea on what might work out for me and my crew.

If you are changing water regularly, there is virtually no chance of accumulating toxins in the tank. Even if something does leach out of the plastic, the leaching would be very slow.

Assuming that something is leaching out of the bottle, the longer the bottle is in the water, the less is left in the plastic to leach. So the last thing you would want to do is replace the bottle regularly.

That makes sense, I'm currently doing once a week PWC at 50%. Do you think that would suffice?

I have an AC 70 on my 29 gallon and my goldfish (both are under 2 inches) handle it just fine. I have it on the lowest setting and also have an airstone on the opposite side.... Anyway, the choice is yours, if you want to baffle your filters just make sure you have additional aeration in the form of airstones\air wand. Adequate water movement and surface agitation is very crucial.

Here's the filter setup for my 5.5 gallon betta tank. The filter is a Top Fin 10.

DSC_1297_zpseda58344.jpg

If the floss was a bit longer it probably would be baffled a bit better, but you get the idea. You can buy large sheets of filter floss at the petstore and cut it to a custom length and shape that fits your filter. :D

I have an AC 70 on my 29 gallon and my goldfish (both are under 2 inches) handle it just fine. I have it on the lowest setting and also have an airstone on the opposite side.... Anyway, the choice is yours, if you want to baffle your filters just make sure you have additional aeration in the form of airstones\air wand. Adequate water movement and surface agitation is very crucial.

Here's the filter setup for my 5.5 gallon betta tank. The filter is a Top Fin 10.

DSC_1297_zpseda58344.jpg

If the floss was a bit longer it probably would be baffled a bit better, but you get the idea. You can buy large sheets of filter floss at the petstore and cut it to a custom length and shape that fits your filter. :D

Thank you for the image, I like this set up too. The baffle would be more for my butterfly Tele who seems to be growing out her tail first, and her torso second... dunno maybe an awkward growth spurt? I just feel sad for her because she eventually needs to bottom sit in order to rest up.

My Filters are on opposite ends of the tanks, and I have an airstone in the middle- so I do have a little more noticeable current- and I really don't want to cut back on the filtration. The air stone is in because I feel my tank is pretty tall, and like to be doubly sure that oxygen is reaching the bottom. My tank is 29.5" tall.

Skip the baffle. The fish will grow stronger.

I considered this, and I would totally do it if my girl wasn't bottom sitting. I've just seen in the past that bottom sitting is a precursor for deeper trouble.

That makes sense, I'm currently doing once a week PWC at 50%. Do you think that would suffice?

Yes.