Mystery snail question...

Elisa

Hi guys !
I am happy to report that I too have jumped on the snail bandwagon :teehee
I received my purple mystery snail in the mail yesterday from Daniel E.... and the little dude has been doing great so far !
I have dubbed him/her 'Lucky' as shortly after receiving him/her in the mail I received notification that I was accepted for transfer into my top choice college :happydance
(pretty awesome, eh? )

anywho, I have a few questions as I am new to snail care:

1. are snails as sensitive to water quality as goldfish are? I am temporarily keeping Lucky in a bowl for observation so that any potential yuckies on his shell aren't transferred to mochi's tank.

2. as far as feeding goes...how long should i leave food in his bowl and how often should he be fed ?

3. how often do i need to change is water? i am going away for three days this week- will Lucky be okay? or should i have my boyfriend do daily water changes for him?

thanks guys, will post pictures soon ! :heart

• Supporter

I cant remember what the sensitivities are right off the top of my head in regards to ammonia nitrate and nitrite. But I treat them like goldfish in that regard and never have a problem. They are effected by ph changing too fast (simular to goldfish) and prefer a range of 7.6-8.4 they can like is water as low as 6.0 but they start having shell erosion problems. Temps can range I find they do well in the mid 60s all the way through into the 80s. They are most active in the mid 70s to 80 range and can live as low as 50° BUT this will cause them to become verry inactive and cause thick shell growth among other things.

If no other food is present id feed every other day. But they can go much longer without food. With a good supply of algae and other scavenged foods id feed separately about ones a week or so.

Depending on the size of the container water changes may or may not be needed. If he is in a betta cup for QT yes id recommend changing it. If you have him in something bigger it may not need to be. So my question is how big is the thing you have him in?

Glad ge is doing well :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I cant remember what the sensitivities are right off the top of my head in regards to ammonia nitrate and nitrite. But I treat them like goldfish in that regard and never have a problem. They are effected by ph changing too fast (simular to goldfish) and prefer a range of 7.6-8.4 they can like is water as low as 6.0 but they start having shell erosion problems. Temps can range I find they do well in the mid 60s all the way through into the 80s. They are most active in the mid 70s to 80 range and can live as low as 50° BUT this will cause them to become verry inactive and cause thick shell growth among other things.

If no other food is present id feed every other day. But they can go much longer without food. With a good supply of algae and other scavenged foods id feed separately about ones a week or so.

Depending on the size of the container water changes may or may not be needed. If he is in a betta cup for QT yes id recommend changing it. If you have him in something bigger it may not need to be. So my question is how big is the thing you have him in?

Glad ge is doing well :)

thanks for the speedy reply daniel :D

he's in a one gallon bowl at the moment with the plants you sent me :nana

• Supporter

Id say he should be fine for the 3 days as far as water parameters are concerned. :) (as lind as you dont over feed and pollute the water that way)

Id say he should be fine for the 3 days as far as water parameters are concerned. :) (as lind as you dont over feed and pollute the water that way)

:D

awesome !

he has been quite active since i got him, i've really grown quite attached to the little guy :heart

Congratulations, Elisa. They are adjustable creatures and I find more tolerant of poor water than goldfish. Try dandelion leaves! Just go outside, pick a leaf, wash it in warm water and weigh it down in his tank.

Three days without food is nothing for these guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I feed my little guys once or twice a week seperately now that they're in my Goldie tank :) they scavenge on leftover food, bioslime, plants, and algae the rest of the time. I just put them in a 5 gallon bucket filled halfway and leave them there overnight.

Mine are from Daniel as well and they've at least tripled in size! I love em! The frogbit that he sent didn't last long in their QT though, they devoured it in a few days lol.