Tank Painting! (pic heavy)

thatfancygoldfish

Hi everyone!

This is sort of a semi update on my tank set up progress, but I believe it belongs to the DIY part of the forum!
This has been my second time tank painting, I really enjoy it compared to taping, gluing, using oils to attach backgrounds.

Here goes!

So I tend to start my set up by putting some nice garbage bags down on the ground. I work in the garage to avoid mess, even if it's a bit cold out. Tape the edges of your tank so that you're not accidentally spreading paint on the sides of your tank, if you accidentally do this, no worries! The paint will wipe if it's wet, but it will also scrape right off if you let it dry (this latter method is much easier!)

gWMYKCP.jpg

I've cleaned my tank inside and out once already but please keep in mind that depending on where you are painting (in my case a messy garage) be prepared to wipe the inside of your tank again to rid it of dust and small debris.

So for paint I really like to use non-toxic acrylic! It's worked for me in the past, and if you decide you want another colour? It's extremely easy to remove with no damage to the tank. Definitely a nicer alternative than spray painting it.

gHFz3P5.jpg

I like to give the tank surface (or surfaces in my case- since I have a bare-bottom tank I paint the bottom as well) a good wipe down right before painting with water mixed with vinegar. Make sure you wipe it dry, this makes sure you're not painting over any dust on the tank that might look bad a little later.

yLgMy9O.jpg

When you're ready you're going to need a paint roller, a paint tray and a flat sponge brush. The first time you are going to roll over this, you'll notice that the paint wont cover completely, you'll be able to see through it. This is totally okay! My first tank took me 4 layers before it was perfect. Keep this in mind! Just make sure when you are painting, you roll very slowly so that you're not smudging the paint around the glass. For the top and bottom edges, take your edging sponge and blot over the crevas that you aren't able to reach with the roller.

Your first layer should look like this!

yGrnYKb.jpg

5gKCxdV.jpg

Repeat 3-4 times allowing for your first layer to dry for 6-8 hours, your second to fourth layers to dry for 3-4 hours.

Looks great AG.

You are so well thought out and organized.

Aww! Thank you so much :D

An excellent tutorial! I also really liked that you posted your drying times, for those who want to have an idea of how long the project takes. :)

Thank you so much!

Ah yes! I wish I had known about this too when I first attempted it! This type of project needs a lot of patience and time!

Thanks for the tutorial :)

I've been thinking of doing this with alternating layers of dark green and black to look like algae :idont I may sponge it on.

The dry times are definitely helpful ;)

Thanks for the tutorial :)

I've been thinking of doing this with alternating layers of dark green and black to look like algae :idont I may sponge it on.

The dry times are definitely helpful ;)

:-) I'm glad I was able to help out a bit! I think it's going to look so good! Post pictures if you can! I'd love to see how it turns out!

Looks good, Laura. :)

I see that you recycle too. :P:rofl

Thanks Dan! LOL Yes, I do! Nothing goes to waste if it can be reused in this house! :-)

Ooo very informative! Thanks :)

No problem :) Glad I can help!

wow I typo'd!

* hard work

Awesome, Laura. I can't wait to see two bright fish bustling across it!

Aww thank you Chelsea! I have some work to do still, buying gravel (omg, I'm actually going to use it!) and some air supplies... and then I'm good to start cycling! Long process!

That was really nice and informative. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Your tank looks great and will be looking forward to seeing everything in it along with your fish.

That was really nice and informative. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Your tank looks great and will be looking forward to seeing everything in it along with your fish.

Thank you so much! Glad I was able to share with everyone :)

I'm excited to update everyone as things move along!!

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Bronwyn! :)

Did I hear you say "gravel"???

I did, and then chelsea talked me out of it. I called my local LFS, and was able to get my hands on tahitian moon sand instead. Going to give it a go! :) And this is why I am at Koko's because I know you guys look out for me and those little goldies!

I did, and then chelsea talked me out of it. I called my local LFS, and was able to get my hands on tahitian moon sand instead. Going to give it a go! :) And this is why I am at Koko's because I know you guys look out for me and those little goldies!

I just put "Moonlight" sand in (TMS' whitish cousin), and I really like it. I do suggest that you pick up some prefilters for your tank though. When sand gets into the impeller, it's a real pain.

The tahitian moon sand is beautiful! Although I have to say I'm a little sad not to have a gravel-buddy on the forum. I have one gravel one bare bottom and am perfectly happy with both. Enjoy whatever you do choose!

I just put "Moonlight" sand in (TMS' whitish cousin), and I really like it. I do suggest that you pick up some prefilters for your tank though. When sand gets into the impeller, it's a real pain.

Yeah, for the first 3 days, no filters are even touching this tank. I've set it half way up with water and will let it settle, drain, refill half way... repeat. The water isn't completely clear and even though I rinsed well, I know it's going to take a while. Even so! Will be tying panty hose to the intakes when I get those canisters running!

The tahitian moon sand is beautiful! Although I have to say I'm a little sad not to have a gravel-buddy on the forum. I have one gravel one bare bottom and am perfectly happy with both. Enjoy whatever you do choose!

Darn! I'm sorry! I have had a gravel tank before, way back when I had a betta in a 10 gallon tank. I quite liked it at the time!

Your tank looks great!thanks for taking us through the steps the way you did :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much :) I'm totally glad I was able to help out!

And here's my tank half way filled... water is black! Yuk! Will let it settle over night. Drain. Refill. Settle. Repeat. No filter or equip set up yet!

10013348_10154025050385397_1576365154_n.