Sign in to follow this  
YukonDaisy

Gill Curl

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .25 (seriously?!)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
  • Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Mast Test Kit
  • * Water temperature? 73-75
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, set up 8 months ago.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 110
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 95%. I also try to vacuum it mid week to get rid of the poop, but I only end up sucking out 10-15%.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago (Saturday) 95%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 goldfish, 2-3 inches. 3 otocinclus catfish & ramshorn snails.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead, Saki-Hikari, Soilent Green, frozen bloodworms. I feed them twice a day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Moved a fish over to this tank one week ago today.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I've done 4 rounds of prazi on this tank, no salt.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? My black moor, Kyoto, has gill curl. Just need to know if it's a concern or not.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope.

IMG_1708.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

http://youtu.be/cvKbxlcpAEg

Has he had this all along or is it something that changed recently?

Has he had this all along or is it something that changed recently?

No, it started about 2 weeks ago.

How old is this fish? What I have read about a gill cover, that had been flat, starting to curl usually applied to very young fish. Yours looks considerably older than that. I've asked the whole mod team for help on this question.

She's not too old, I got her as a tiny fish in mid October last year. So I've had her for 5 months, I don't know if that still counts as young or not, lol.

Hello,

See if you very gently pry the gill plate open a little more and check out the gills to see what they look like, please.

Her gills look to be a nice deep red, I got a nice look while she was chewing on some repashy, lol.
Not sure what too look for, but they didn't appear to have any damage like I've seen in pictures. Also, the ammonia has gone down again.

http://youtu.be/a_GBdq6eTbM

Edited by YukonDaisy

As long as she appears healthy, my best bet is that she has a late expression of out-turned opercula. This is a harmless trait which is considered attractive/interesting in the far east. Alex may find something else, but unless he does, don't worry unless other symptoms appear.

Such a cute black moor!

As long as she appears healthy, my best bet is that she has a late expression of out-turned opercula. This is a harmless trait which is considered attractive/interesting in the far east. Alex may find something else, but unless he does, don't worry unless other symptoms appear.

I just wanted to check that the gills are normal to ease any possible worries. Other than that, I don't think that this is something pathological.

Both of my black chus have curled gills, although I can't quite remember when this started.