Telechu's Quarantine

So... I guess I'm just not sure what to do. :idont

Just be in the tank and observe, pretty much?

So far we're looking fine... there was tons of slime coat she was shedding, which actually now looks to be almost over with, and a few red spots on her belly. I plan to do another water change tonight just to get the yucky stuff out but we'll see.

One thing that I would like to do is feel her belly. It just looks like it could be soft, but it's probably just fat ranchu tumtums. :teehee

There is also a yellow blotch on her belly, which I think is also just her coloring, but I want to be sure so I'll also get some pictures of that later on.

I guess right now I'd like to know if there is some sort of "inspection," visual or otherwise, that I can go through to make sure everything is covered. If you can throw any things to look over that would be awesome, and I'll go through it all later tonight so I can do it at once.

Thanks! :D

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't try too handle her too much, she's going to be very much in 'de-stressing mode' and a safe, quiet place with pristine water will be the very best you can do for her now.

As far as what to look out for, just as you've been doing monitor her slime coat, condition of her fins, any strange discoloration you wouldn't suspect as natural coloration, gill movement, placement of fins, and appetite.

The most common thing you'll see is her sulking (bottom sitting with all her fins clamped) with food being the only motivation to move. They're practically couch potatoes, for a short time. lol.

Slime coat shedding, and a hazyness in the eyes, as well as redness in the fins are the other common side affects of shipping.

When I had my DO fish shipped to me, I kept a copy of all the photos that Ken puts up in auction of the fish and just did a comparison check for colored spots, and fin shapes. Comes in handy for the red and white fish!

Other than that sit tight and follow traditional Qt procedures.

Great, thanks so much for all that info!

I was so glad to speak with ken and hear the "be prepared for" stuff. Even though some of it I had expected already, it was just good to hear from him for some reason.

Fins aren't usually clamped and she's active, but not completely. She'll hang at the bottom but it's not bottom sitting.. not sure if that makes any sense haha.

Anyway like I said, so far everything seems okay. Probably just trying to find something to worry about :rofl

Okie, thanks Lisa!

Anything I should do for the red spots? Or just clean water? I can try to get pics, it's not bad but it's there. :idont

Okay. Good! It sounds like that's a common thing, even MK's new girl had some.

This is where we are this morning :(

Edited by jenzaar

I was having technical difficulties, there's a video now. She's swimming a little now but is also into some full on bottom sitting. Probably just stress, but :idont

Thanks hun. Ken told me to expect some bottom sitting. I did, but I expected it yesterday! Haha it should be okay, see if some food and a water change help any. :idont

Thanks Aubrey :heart

She does look sad. But, I catch her moving a little more so I'm glad to see that.

That's good news :nana

:)

aww poor baby I'm sure its just shipping stress, give her a little time to adjust to the different water :) she sure is a cutie!!

Aww thankyou. I think it's just shipping stress catching up on her but it's never any fun to watch!

Just keep an eye on her, Jenna. If she doesn't perk up by the end of the day, let us know. Sometimes the fish go into "excitement mode" right when they get to their new homes and then a little later they realize "Oh... that was actually really stressful!" and do the sitting. Valentino did that and so did Momo.

Just keep an eye on her, Jenna. If she doesn't perk up by the end of the day, let us know. Sometimes the fish go into "excitement mode" right when they get to their new homes and then a little later they realize "Oh... that was actually really stressful!" and do the sitting. Valentino did that and so did Momo.

Boo! My comment back to you never posted.

That's really reassuring. And it does make a lot of sense. I will post an update on the bottom sitting later on, whichever way it goes. Hopefully she just needs a little more R&R.

I'm doing 100% daily, and nighttime 50% water changes, cause it seems a little cramped in there. Don't think there's an option to get her a 20 gallon QT tank, unless I can find someone to lend it to me. I weighed her just now and got 45g! I thought she'd be way more. :rofl

Goodness she's cute. :heart I transferred her to a big bowl while I did the WC and watched her swim from top view. I could see her eyes moving around and :wub:

Enough of my :blahblah