Cotton Patch Under Eye

This morning I noticed a white patch of 'cotton' underneath my fish's eye, I am thinking this is a bacterial infection due to a previous unnoticed scrape from foraging for food. I treated 'Buttons' with a salt bath for 3 minutes this morning, then added 6 TBSP of salt to the 40 gallon tank as a prevantitive for the other 2 fish. 'Buttons' is eating and otherwise acts fine. After the salt bath, I noticed the white patch was gone, I do not see any redness or inflamation where it was (But he is gold so I may not have been able to see it). Do I need to take further action? Or just observe to see if it comes back? I had a much smaller instance of this on another fish's wen 6 months ago, which went away on its own (it looked more like a pimple). I had read online that as oranda fish grow, surface bacterial infections can occur in the folds of their wen.

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) <10
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) >40
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Aq Nitrate test
  • * Water temperature? 73F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 Gal long, 1 year
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval cannister for 50gal tank, 2 HOB filters
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1x per week 50-80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 80% 3 days
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, 4-5”
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? PRIME
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2X per day Veg based gel food, spirlunia flakes, brine shrimp occas. soaked oranda pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt bath this AM, added 1 TBSP to per 5 gal to tank as preventative.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes see picture, large cotton growth under eye
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No fish is eating and is perky as ever

Here is the picture, yes our tap water registers ammonia in AQ testing (actually a form of it, I believe Ammonium) is used to clean our water. It shows up as being sky high in the tap water testing. Hopefully this picture goes through- I used the image button but do not see another button for downloading pics. thanks for your help

Here is the picture, yes our tap water registers ammonia in AQ testing (actually a form of it, I believe Ammonium) is used to clean our water. It shows up as being sky high in the tap water testing. Hopefully this picture goes through- I used the image button but do not see another button for downloading pics. thanks for your help

Hello,

You actually need to upload the pic to a hosting site such as Photobucket and then paste the link over here.

I'm not quite understanding about the ammonia issue, and I will see if I can look it up.

How long does it take for it to disappear from your tank?

I use Prime to neutralize the Chloramine, Chrlorine and Ammonium in the water during changes, the Prime locks it up for 24 hours, and typically within 12 hours the tank has fully 'digested' any ammonia and nitrite from the water change. As I recall, I think I had a bit of a temp change with this last water change which may have aggravated this situation.