Just Lost All Of My Corys!

I just got home from work and I was sitting on the couch when I looked up and saw 2 of my albino corys floating! I had one other kind of cory (Juli, I think) and he's dieing too. I just lost 2 other corys with in the last 2 weeks. I have a 75gal with 7 goldfish and (until lately) 6 corys. I orginally had 3 albinos and recently got three of those Julies (I know I'm spelling that wrong.) Two of the Julies died kinda right away and now 2 of my albinos are gone. I've had these albinos for a year. The dead ones looked a little bloated, like their stomachs where bloated or something. And the Juli cory that's about to die physically looks fine. I checked the water params right away and everything is right on. My pH had dropped a tiny bit because I put a new piece of driftwood in, but it only dropped a few 10ths. Could this small drop in pH could have killed them? Actually, the drop in pH didn't happen until the other day, and after a quick water change, was right on...so those first 2 corys died before the change in pH. Maybe the new corys brought something into the tank? Oh gosh. All my goldfish look fine, but I don't know what to do! I need to know what killed the corys so I can treat the tank if needed. Are corys more sensitive than goldfish to disease and or water params?

Any ideas? Any advice? Should I take that remaining cory out even though he looks fine? The others looked fine this afternoon.

Thanks guys,

Heather

hi

i'm so sorry to hear about your cory's. i have four in with my goldfish and i love them - great fish.

i cant imagine what could have affected them so suddenly. its true that they are more sensitive to sudden water param's changing - but albino's are generally much hardier than the juilius - so strange that they would have died first - with the exception of the two juilius that died straight away. juillius are much more fragile than albino's normally. did the two that died almost straight away show any signs of illness before hand? maybe they did bring something in...

i know that they cant tolerate salt - so any salt in there could have a detrimental affect - but i cant think what else.

how is your other corys doing now?

how often do you vacuum the gravel, are there any hollow ornaments that can also hold stagnant water, with the high waste produce of the goldies, the bad bacteria builds up in stagant water, ie your gravel, and anything else that holds it, twice as fast, maybe this was too much for the ocrys,

Also, corys are tropical fish, and ideally should be kept with other, tropical fish.

Kev

My corys have always thrived with my goldies. I keep the tank at about 75 degrees, so it's a happy medium temp. wise. My gravel is vacuumed weekly when I do water changes. I'm down to only 1 albino. I'm gonna quarentine him for awhile and give him to my mom who is actually breeding corys. It's still really sad though. I've never lost so many fish at once.

Archived