Apple Snail Update - lots of photos

BronwynH

So I got my new 'baby' apple snails about a month ago. At the time the largest was about the size of a nickel. They sailed through their qt and spent a little bit of time together in the 20g while I waited for them to grow a bit. I didn't have to wait long! Four of them have been moved into my 55g and are doing really well.

Without further ado here are some photos.

Here's Jacques (as in Cousteau).

IMG_26161_zps58533ebe.jpg

I got him back in January and he reignited my love of snails. He's still in the 20g as he became obsessed with Tethys and she is in the 55g. From day one out of qt Jacques would spend hours attached to Tethys' shell, all but completely enveloping her in what I can only assume was mating behaviour as bits of him tried to probe their way under her shell.

Next is Tethys. I had a hard time getting a good shot of her as she kept insisting on hanging out at the back of the tank, these were the best I could do:

IMG_25781_zps75f5fbc0.jpg

IMG_25731_zps47ffe1f5.jpg

IMG_26281_zps3a0c9836.jpg

In this last shot you can see the sponges I added to the intakes of my AC filters so as to prevent inadvertent snail death. You may also be able to make out her growth line to the left of her shell.

Now for Heimdallr - thank you motherredcap for his name! Although I suspect he may be a she and I may need to change his/her name:

IMG_25711_zpsf54421d3.jpg

IMG_25681_zpsdcba1dbb.jpg

Hathor, the smallest (and the one to have grown the least), is still in the 20g with Jacques. You can see the crack in her shell that marks the beginning of her recent growth spurt.

IMG_26151_zps16666e5d.jpg

And Isis:

IMG_25651_zps6cf07587.jpg

IMG_26051_zps667e50c0.jpg

Here, again, you can see the growth line. This shot is from her back and I would estimate almost 100* of new shell growth (definitely more than 90*).

One more shot of Isis, blurry but you can see the growth from the front:

IMG_25841_zpsf8f81e1d.jpg

And lastly Percival (as in Sir Edmund Percival Hillary - from the beginning he was notable for climbing things and other snails):

IMG_25671_zps313bf7db.jpg

Again you can see the greater than 90* of shell growth (Hathor is the only snail with less than 90* of growth. Except maybe Jacques, whom I think may be more in the 45* range, but I find it hard to tell with him).

So all in all they're doing well and I'm quite enjoying watching them in the tank.

That was fun to read. :)

Your snails are beautiful colors. I love the purple the most. You have some beautiful photo's also.

That's funny about the snail riding the back of another one. I Always see my polka dot nerite on the back of my striped nerite. All the time it seems. hahahaha

:thud your pics are fabulous! I can't get my snails to cooperate with me like that! :clapping:

They are all gorgeous :heart

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves her snails :nana

That was fun to read. :)

Your snails are beautiful colors. I love the purple the most. You have some beautiful photo's also.

That's funny about the snail riding the back of another one. I Always see my polka dot nerite on the back of my striped nerite. All the time it seems. hahahaha

Thank you! I enjoy taking photos of the snail. It's much easier than with the fish because they're that much slower! I only have to take three or four photos for every good one.

:thud your pics are fabulous! I can't get my snails to cooperate with me like that! :clapping:

They are all gorgeous :heart

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves her snails :nana

Thanks! I do love my snails and I also enjoy reading your various snail threads. It's fun to have other snail-lovers on the forums. I just about have my husband convinced that we have the space for a snail only tank. I'm thinking something columnar with driftwood and live plants. Maybe a shrimp or two just for fun!

Great pics and snails!

Thank you!

I fully support and encourage a snail only tank! :nana

What. A. Good. Idea. !!!!!!!! I might need one too :happydance

:rofl2

Excellent idea :)

Question: how do you keep your zucchini anchored to the bottom so it doesn't float? :idont

Excellent idea :)

Question: how do you keep your zucchini anchored to the bottom so it doesn't float? :idont

I blanch and then freeze my zucchini in bulk once a month. I drop them in frozen and find that they sink to the bottom as they defrost. The only moving they do then is as the goldfish move them around. It's like watching mini sharks: they grab a bite, swim up a bit and shake. The zucchini goes flying off and they're left with a mouthful. They usually leave the very outside of the medallion (I peel mine) for the snails.

I use a rubber band and a rock for my veggies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yay - another of our snail loving cohorts!

• Supporter

Love how yours are doing btw :) I have some thats getting close to dime size now. Ill have to rase the price on my snail thread soon lol. I dont have many magenta left though after the shipment tomorrow I may just have enough for me. They are my favorites. :)

Neat filter covers! I just cut up an AC filter sponge as I had one lying around. The stainless steel ones seem like a great option though, and who can argue with that price! Free shipping too! Do you know which size I'd need for AC50s?

I was so tempted to get some of yours! If I manage to get my snail tank while you still have some you may get a message from me ;)

• Supporter

I still got to measure. But since tomorrow is a cleaning day figured I would then. I just get tired of cleaning the prefilters every few days. I think this would be a great solution :)

I have some bb size babies so ill have them for a while.

Aubrey, I skewer the zuke with the handle of a teaspoon.

Now that you're here I'd like to thank you directly for Heimdallr's name. So thank you! :D

The snails are so cool! :D

Thank you! I think so too!