Contemplating a saltwater tank.

Daniel E.

• Supporter

From what I read if you have a mature tank they are one of the easiest to keep. Its sad they are all wild caught though :(

Its just probably my top favorite sw fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

I can hold off though :) the lady I talked to at the pet store said its best not to add them until the tank has been up and running for at least a year.

If I do it im going to do the slow method.

Do this wait....... do this wait....... do this wait.... lol

• Admin

That is the best way to go with marine. A little at a time.

:bingo:

you cant rush a SW tank... if you do you will be hating life.... I love those fish too but to me they where atlittle to hard for me...even I lost and anemone too :cry

• Supporter

Ill start easy and work my way up to a point im happy with the tank and the work lol. Im thinking the bigger is easier/better rule may not be the right fit for me starting out. For whar im reading in the past smaller tanks was much harder than today with the advancements in technology. So I may look at a 36-72 to start with. Ill leave the 125 for goldfish lol.

Well, with a fish only with live rock tank, I think a smaller tank is manageable. With a reef tank, I think the bigger, the better. Reef tanks can go bad at the smallest change in the wrong direction which can happen very quickly in a small tank.

• Supporter

Would you concider 40 gallon small for a reeftank? Ummm.

Well at least I got time to think about it and weigh out the pros and cons. Ive been reading how some people started with a FO and slowly changed to a reef tank.

Yes, I would consider a 40 small for a reef. But I suppose it is doable. I would start with fish only with live rock to see if you enjoy the upkeep and salt mixing thing before you make a big investment in reef lighting, wave makers, and live stock.

• Admin

Well, with a fish only with live rock tank, I think a smaller tank is manageable. With a reef tank, I think the bigger, the better. Reef tanks can go bad at the smallest change in the wrong direction which can happen very quickly in a small tank.

Depends on the coral and fish in there really. My first every tank was a 12 gallon NANO Cube tank. :) The key here is research and time, take your time. Do your research.... Like what I did was got some books and looked up online the kinds of fish I wanted and if they work with coral and plants.... Since I knew I wanted a reef tank... then one by one make my list.. But if you dont think you will keep up with all the testing and water changes. Then go with the Fish only tank... Reefs need attention to get going. Once going they are really easy, just like a planted goldfish tank.

Yes, I would consider a 40 small for a reef. But I suppose it is doable. I would start with fish only with live rock to see if you enjoy the upkeep and salt mixing thing before you make a big investment in reef lighting, wave makers, and live stock.

40 gallons arent small at all, like I said it depends on the coral and fish and inverts that you place in there... I had what you call easy fish and corals.. Mushrooms, crabs, shrimps and easy going fish....

Also if you have a reef tank you will need lighting, Hard coral need really really good lights, soft coral need really good lights and things like mushrooms need the minimum lights in the tank....

• Supporter

Good question.

Its an interesting idea but not really what im looking for. Ive never been a fan of fake corals. Just personal preference.

ugeza8ar.jpg

This is one of the shrimp I want in the aquarium.

• Admin

Good question.

Its an interesting idea but not really what im looking for. Ive never been a fan of fake corals. Just personal preference.

ugeza8ar.jpg

This is one of the shrimp I want in the aquarium.

Those are cool... really need a reef with them :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+698&pcatid=698

Its an interesting idea but not really what im looking for. Ive never been a fan of fake corals.

It was a joke. :P

;)

• Supporter

That link did not work. But ive looked at them there. The reason I ask is ive read other places that they work well and are recommended for algae controle.

• Admin

Is this a good light?

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 48 to 60-Inch by Current USA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTSV24/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5clntb12BSFV7

Dang now thats a light :rofl

Me I always was into the Coralife lights :)

• Supporter

Is this a good light?

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 48 to 60-Inch by Current USA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTSV24/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5clntb12BSFV7

Dang now thats a light :rofl

Me I always was into the Coralife lights :)

Like this?

Coralife 08607 Lunar Aqualight High Output T5 Quad Lamp Fixture, 48-Inch by Coralife http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049PU8BI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_xOlntb1V6FKT1

• 3 weeks later...