Contemplating a saltwater tank.

Daniel E.

• Supporter

So here is my thoughts. Id like to know what the pros, cons, good ideas, and bad ideas. About setting up a saltwater tank and my ideas on what id like to do.

So here is the thought. *Reef tank.*

A 125 gal set up to be a reef tank. The petstore I goto has them already "reef ready". Id like to have a variety of corals, shrimp, snails, and all that good stuff as well as some fish.

My top fish id like to have are.

1.) Dwarf angels 1 of 2 different species. (Coral beauty and flame)

2.) Butterfly fish. There are so many of these I like but I was hoping for at least 2 maybe 3. Some of my favorites are (copper band, latticed, sunset, and pearlscale)

3.) Kaudern's Cardinal

4.) Green Mandarin and Red Mandarin Dragonette.

Other fish id like to concider are: blue and yellow tangs, yellow tail damselfish, Royal Gramma Basslet, Bicolor Dottyback, and firefish.

I understand I cant have all of theses in the aquarium but I wanted to put out what im looking at.

My other thought is a lionfish tank. Because they are so awesome. But I think id like a reef tank with greater biodiversity better :)

Oh one last thought. Any pros/cons to Marco algae in a reef tank?

Ok thank you for reading and any experience and information is welcome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel E.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking to set something like this up soon, or is this more "years down the road"?

More recently, I read that you had been looking to scale down your operating tanks, as they were a source of family strife, and more maintenance than you wanted. Aren't reef tanks the most labor-intensive, and unforgiving of systems? I've known many burnt out reefers who moved to the freshwater planted system, simply because they're so much easier to keep running.

Reef tanks are also an awful lot of money to set up properly. I'd think it through, before making any definite plans, but that's my two cents. :idont

• Supporter

This is later down the road after I build the house. Im thinking of just doing 2 tanks. One fresh water goldfish tank and one saltwater tank. A reef tank looks awesome when done nicely and they are so different. Thats one reason I was going to do one of them. What kind of salt water setup would you recommend.

This right now is just getting my thoughts possessed and deciding on what id like to do. The set up would start no earlier that 2-2.5 years from now.

I know nothing about reef tanks, but I have considered getting a small or nano reef tank for just a shrimp so I can learn with a small setup first. Maybe do that and see if you like the maintenance involved in saltwater?

Hopefully Koko will stop by and give her 2 cents, since she was into saltwater in the past.

I can't give any suggestions, I have tried countless times to search up on saltwater through Youtube and such, and I'm always finding myself lost. It's very complicated to me, I don't know. :idont

I watch newyorksteelo's videos from time to time, maybe it'll help you out.

Best of luck to your future plans. :hug

• Supporter

I just get tired of all planned tanks. I want something different to contrast and I think saltwater would be a way to go. I could try something like the 40B as a saltwater first but from what I read I really cant have much in a 40gal salt water.

• Admin

:hi

Salt water tanks are hard at the start and as long as you keep them maintained the will to fine....but they are NOT forgiving.....

they are expensive. you need ALOT of patince.

Dwarf angels....they are known for eating corals.

Butterfly fish.........they are known for eating corals and sea anemones

Kaudern's Cardinal ...... will breed like crazy if your tank is right.

Green Mandarin.... feed on copa pods only......

So that the tips on the fish.. :)

• Admin

I just get tired of all planned tanks. I want something different to contrast and I think saltwater would be a way to go. I could try something like the 40B as a saltwater first but from what I read I really cant have much in a 40gal salt water.

Sure you can I had a 45 gallon reef tank..

I had a clown fish, another schooling fish will have to try and remember them.... and then also a goby fish too... plus lots of mushrooms and such...

So dwarf angels and butterfly fish are not good if I have corals.

:bingo:

• Admin

Well my first one had a clown fish coral and a pistal shirmp.. plus a crab... that was a 12 gallon tank (Nano Cub) :)

Depends on if you want to make time to feed all the plants and make sure everything is in check.

Or

you want to just enjoy the fish?

• Supporter

Feeding the plants. What does that involve? I assume just a food you pour into the tank.

Somthing like this

Coral Frenzy `The Ultimate Coral Food` 28g by Coral Frenzy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELTOXS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_o40ltb1934Z33

• Supporter

Also keeping check.

I see API reefmaster kits. Would you check like ones a week or is it a daily thing? Would I need other testing equipment?

• Admin

Feeding the plants. What does that involve? I assume just a food you pour into the tank.

Somthing like this

Coral Frenzy `The Ultimate Coral Food` 28g by Coral Frenzy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ELTOXS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_o40ltb1934Z33

yup or snow... :)

Also keeping check.

I see API reefmaster kits. Would you check like ones a week or is it a daily thing? Would I need other testing equipment?

I tested everyday until it cycled then once I got used to all the numbers and such it was once a week with water changes :)

Around here saltwater tanks are considered the way to go. Actually all but one of the LFS here are saltwater only. If you go on Craigslist and look for fish tanks, ~75% of what is available are saltwater setups -- "practically new! only $1000! cost over $3000 to set up!" It doesn't take long for people to find out this was a lot harder than they expected, and it's a pretty expensive lesson.

• Supporter

Yeah its a lot of $$$ thats why ive started researching now. That way if I decide I want to go through with it I know what im getting myself into and what im doing.

For people looking to get into saltwater larger systems are easier to maintain than nanos. For new SW people I recommend nothing smaller than 40G just because parameters can swing too quickly in anything smaller if you don't know what you're doing. Reef tanks are by day the hardest as well if you want corals you need a shallow tank with very high lighting. When I worked at the petstore the light for our coral trough was worth over $500. With corals you also have to watch the different nutrients and minerals in the water that the corals need. Along with feeding them as most need supplemental feeding and/or marine snow. With a reef setup it's all about the corals so I would set up and cycle the tank (lots of live rock and such) then add the cleanup crew (snails, shrimp, etc) then corals and lastly the fish. If you're focused on particular fish that isn't reef safe I would advise probably just doing live rock and maybe some macro algae. Lots true if you may not be doing as big of a waterchange on an established set up as you would with a goldfish tank but these are ecosystems you're building and need very constant monitoring and attentions.

• Admin

Yeah its a lot of $$$ thats why ive started researching now. That way if I decide I want to go through with it I know what im getting myself into and what im doing.

i did that too.. had alot of books too... another helpful tip.....have a store that will have salt water mixed for ya... i did....nowhere i live there isnt much in any fish stores here let alone salt water stores.. :)

I have had a few saltwater fish only setups and they are no harder than a tropical or goldfish tank. Water changes can be a pain because of the salt water mixing thing, but they are just as easy to keep in check. I never had a reef setup. I have a few friends that had reef setups, and both or theirs ended badly so it scared me away. One had something go through and wipe out pretty much everything and my other friend had a leak in the middle of the night and woke up to a basically dry tank and 150G of water in his basement. I would be crushed if that happened to me, so I never set one up.

• Supporter

So im thinking if I do this im going to focus on the invertebrate life. Ill choose fish for maintenance and beneficial reasons. The one fish I just must have us the green mandarin Dragonette.

Also no hard corals to start out with.

Low fish stocking and good filtration. Give myself the best chance to get things right and going well before I add extra fish into the equation. :) I got a book while I was out. a9e8e4uv.jpg