Update on Petco's sale plants from last month and black sand

4prettyfish

I had went from a bare bottom tank about 6 weeks ago or so to having black sand. Also from artificial plants to a few live plants to a dozen now in my tank. I'm loving it all. My tank size is 48X15 1/2 and I started off with just 10 pounds of Petco black sand to [/url]">see if I would like it. I didn't have any problems with it and I found it easy to clean while doing my water changes with my syphon. So I kept adding more sand over this six week period and I now have 25 pounds total. I think this is a good amount to cover the bottom of the tank because of my tank dimensions. While syphoning it picks up the sand if I put the end on top of the sand and stirs it up which I love. My two ac110's are doing a great job picking up the poo and leaving nothing to be seen. My filters are not being clogged up by the sand and I have my filter intakes about 2 inches from the sand and have the filters set on high.

[/url]">I have 10 Anubias plants with at least 3 different species of them and 2 different kinds of swords. My fish have been leaving the anubias plants alone. No bites from them at all. :) My swords are a different story. Somebody (or all of them) have been periodically taking bites out of the leaves. :( Overall though I am very pleased with my plants. They are doing really good seeing that I have no special light fixture on the tank. It's a fluval led that I've had for at least a year. And I have sand instead of a nourished substrate. I have been dosing with fluorite at every water change and adding excel every few days.

[/url]">I've seen some growth and new leaves. Last night I cut two stems off a sword plant because the leaves were brown. But I saw something exciting. :)

Here is my exciting news I want to share with you. Can you see it in the center?

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants012_zps10082a4b.jpg

How about now with Pearl posing with it? ha ha

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants017_zps50a593e6.jpg

Here's a close up. I think it's beautiful. :) I was thrilled to notice this flower last night.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants002_zps64204644.jpg

Dexter was trying to get in this one with the flower.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants006_zps96059a99.jpg

One of my swords has two stems with three baby swords growing. I'm loving this. Unfortunately someone took a bite out of one of the baby leaves. But for the most part they have been leaving the baby plants alone. There is a baby by my two fingers together, one below my index finger, and a stem to the right of my index finger with a couple of tiny leaves.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants010_zps31da82ec.jpg

Pearl saying, Get me in this photo.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants008_zps6a7d149e.jpg

A full tank photo.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants015_zps2e8b25e1.jpg

Pearl just wanted to say Hi and have her picture taken.

[/url]">http://3-21-14updateonplants019_zps371a2380.jpg

Thank you for looking. :)

Your fish and plants amaze me beyond rational thought. :heart Congrats on the flower! I hope your tank is full of them soon!

Really? Thank you Chelsea. That means a lot to me. I didn't know if I'd be any good at growing plants in a tank. I was so excited when I saw my flower that I called my sister. ha ha

Cheryl, your fish are HUGE! And beautiful :D and I love your plants, especially your anubias :) the tank looks great!

Thank you Alicia. I appreciate it. :) I swear the growing of my fish are due to large water changes. (along with other factors of course)

The tank looks gorgeous Cheryl!!!!

Thank you so much Dawn. :)

Thank you Tammy. I've never had a flower before either until now. Too be honest, I didn't know that anubia plants could. ha ha I thought that maybe the swords could, but I ended up getting baby swords. I'm waiting until they get a little bit bigger before cutting off from the mother plant.

Wonderful update! :clapping:

I must say I have really seen you develop wonderfully with plants and aquascaping for the last few months. You are doing such a great job. :thumbs:

The black sand looks wonderful. I like the rich, matte look it has. Congrats on your flowering plants! They all look so green and vibrant.

Your RG oranda is looking fabulous. He is really developing nicely. And Pearl is quite stunning as well! I don't think I've seen her before. :)

Wonderful update! :clapping:

I must say I have really seen you develop wonderfully with plants and aquascaping for the last few months. You are doing such a great job. :thumbs:

The black sand looks wonderful. I like the rich, matte look it has. Congrats on your flowering plants! They all look so green and vibrant.

Your RG oranda is looking fabulous. He is really developing nicely. And Pearl is quite stunning as well! I don't think I've seen her before. :)

Thank you Georgia. That's funny though because I've only been doing live plants since the middle of December 2013 with my 20g tank and just over the last 6 weeks with my 60g tank. I will take the compliment. Thank you so much. :) Yes, My Dexter is doing good since I've brought him home back on Halloween last year. I need to do an update on him and measure and weigh him. He's filled out a lot since then and did a little growth in length. :) I couldn't be happier with him.

Pearl, It will be 2 years of having her this coming June or July. (I have it written down in fish notebook. To lazy to go check) She was only an inch or 1 1/2 inches total when I got her. She's now in between 5 1/2 and 6 inches, I believe. I think you've seen her in the past. You just don't recognize the big change. ha hahaha Thank you again for all the nice words.

A flower!! That is exciting news! Although if I called either one of my sisters to tell them my anibias flowered they probably couldn't even fake enthusiasm. :rofl3

Your tank and fish look great!! I love the sand. Now you need a black background and we can be twinsies. :rofl3

I laughed out loud Lisa when I read your comment about your sisters. hahaha Well, my sister did congratulate me. As much as I wanted to ask her to see if she wanted to drive over here and see my flower I held back. ha ha I thought that might be asking too much of her to come see my flower in my goldfish tank. hahahaha I would have been more then happy to give her a glass of water also though. hahahaha

Thanks for the compliments. I don't even want to tackle such a thing as a background anymore. Paint, or stick on types. I'm finding more natural light coming in the tank which is a bonus. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

Your tank looks fantastic! I've had an anubias for years (I think 9, but can't be sure) and it's only flowered twice. You're so lucky! My sword is also sprouting babies, I'm quite excited about it and wondering when they can be planted on their own.

P.S. Your fish are also super cute! Their fins are amazing.

Gorgeous plants and fish! :D

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the comments. :)

Your tank looks fantastic! I've had an anubias for years (I think 9, but can't be sure) and it's only flowered twice. You're so lucky! My sword is also sprouting babies, I'm quite excited about it and wondering when they can be planted on their own.

Thank you. :) Wow, you've had your anubias plant forever. Congrats on that. In regards to your question; If you see my first photo above with the baby swords where a fish took a bite out of the biggest baby leave.... Well, I had read to wait and cut the babies away from the mother plant when you have about half a dozen leaves. I was going to wait until those little tiny leaves mature to about the size of the eaten one then cut it off the mother sword just under the roots. Or, I guess you can wait until the mother plant can't support the weight of the babies. ha ha But I read to wait until you have about 6 new leaves on the baby sword. You should post your sword here. I'd love to see it. Or, you could always make a new topic about your plant. :)

Thank you. :) Wow, you've had your anubias plant forever. Congrats on that. In regards to your question; If you see my first photo above with the baby swords where a fish took a bite out of the biggest baby leave.... Well, I had read to wait and cut the babies away from the mother plant when you have about half a dozen leaves. I was going to wait until those little tiny leaves mature to about the size of the eaten one then cut it off the mother sword just under the roots. Or, I guess you can wait until the mother plant can't support the weight of the babies. ha ha But I read to wait until you have about 6 new leaves on the baby sword. You should post your sword here. I'd love to see it. Or, you could always make a new topic about your plant. :)

Good to know! I think I can probably take at least 4 of them off then, although I was going to leave it longer. The plant itself is doing very poorly, so I don't have a photo that's just it, but I'll try to get some.

Good to know! I think I can probably take at least 4 of them off then, although I was going to leave it longer. The plant itself is doing very poorly, so I don't have a photo that's just it, but I'll try to get some.

Is it your mother plant that is doing poorly? If so, maybe the babies that are attached to it are sucking all the nutrients out of mother. I don't know for sure. I'm just guessing.

But here it is directly from my book. "Once these daughters plants have a half dozen leaves, they can be removed from the runner and planted separately." Good luck with yours.

Oh Cheryl! I'm so happy for you and your beautiful planted goldie tank :) it's gorgeous!

I'm totally jealous of the stunning flower :)

:bighug take lots of pics of it!

Thank you Aubrey. You, along with everyone else are really sweet, you know? :) I really appreciate it.

So far the fish haven't touched the plant or flower. I'm very happy with that. :)

I'm really liking the tank and I think the fish are also. :) I don't know why it took me so long to try live plants again. I did kind of in the beginning but I killed them all off but a small anubias plant. I still have that one and it's in the tank. I must have been getting the real delicate plants and not these hardy, thick, leave plants.

Is it your mother plant that is doing poorly? If so, maybe the babies that are attached to it are sucking all the nutrients out of mother. I don't know for sure. I'm just guessing.

But here it is directly from my book. "Once these daughters plants have a half dozen leaves, they can be removed from the runner and planted separately." Good luck with yours.

Thanks for that! I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. It started declining almost from day one. At first I thought it might be the current in the tank, so I relocated the filters. That helped significantly, but it didn't stop entirely. I'm forever cutting off the affected leaves. Someone else on the forum (I forget who) has a beautiful sword and told me she uses flourish root tabs. I immediately set off in search of them and am currently waiting for my LFS to get some back in stock. That being said I really want low maintenance plants, so if I have to do too much to keep it alive I may just let it go. I will try cutting the babies off though to see if it helps. I'll put them in my 20g and see if the different environment works for them.

I noticed last night I had two more leaves that are turning brown on one of my sword plants again. :( It's not the plant with the runners/babies though. So that's good.

There are people that use the root tabs and say they work great. I don't think you need them if you have a really good substrate though. I don't know. I could be wrong. I have a clay fluorite in my 20g tank and was told by an employee at a pet store where I frequent that I didn't need them for that reason. He works at a fresh and saltwater fish store. But in my tank with sand with the goldfish I guess I can see needing them. I'm trying not to use them for I don't want the extra expense. I'm wanting low maintenance also. So I understand what your saying.

Could you please let me know how your baby plants do when you cut them away from the mother sword? I'd love to know this for I'm not there yet with my sword babies. I hope yours do great. I'm sure they will.

I noticed last night I had two more leaves that are turning brown on one of my sword plants again. :( It's not the plant with the runners/babies though. So that's good.

There are people that use the root tabs and say they work great. I don't think you need them if you have a really good substrate though. I don't know. I could be wrong. I have a clay fluorite in my 20g tank and was told by an employee at a pet store where I frequent that I didn't need them for that reason. He works at a fresh and saltwater fish store. But in my tank with sand with the goldfish I guess I can see needing them. I'm trying not to use them for I don't want the extra expense. I'm wanting low maintenance also. So I understand what your saying.

Could you please let me know how your baby plants do when you cut them away from the mother sword? I'd love to know this for I'm not there yet with my sword babies. I hope yours do great. I'm sure they will.

I just did a big WC, so I'm going to wait for my next WC before cutting them off. I have eczema and try to avoid submerging my hands unnecessarily. I will keep you posted.

I just did a big WC, so I'm going to wait for my next WC before cutting them off. I have eczema and try to avoid submerging my hands unnecessarily. I will keep you posted.

I just did a big wc early think morning and I was actually thinking of cutting one of them away from the adult plant. I decided to wait. I think mine needs to get a bit bigger. I'll most likely do it in April sometime. I'll keep you posted also on how it/they does/do. :)