Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

LED life expectancy?

How long do LED light fixtures tend to last?

I've had mine approximately a year and it's been fizzling out on me a couple times tonight :tantrum

Should I expect to be buying a new light soon? :idont

ahahy6ug.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:hmm I'm not familiar with that brand. When I had my Marineland for my 40, it started blinking like crazy. It was probably 9 months old. I called Marineland, she asked when I bought it (I totally guessed cuz I couldn't really remember :rofl ), she asked me for the Serial Number and they sent me a brand new one. :idont

Not sure but if it keeps happening you might want to call the company. If there's an issue with them, I'm sure they'd replace it. :D

:hmm I'm not familiar with that brand. When I had my Marineland for my 40, it started blinking like crazy. It was probably 9 months old. I called Marineland, she asked when I bought it (I totally guessed cuz I couldn't really remember :rofl ), she asked me for the Serial Number and they sent me a brand new one. :idont

Not sure but if it keeps happening you might want to call the company. If there's an issue with them, I'm sure they'd replace it. :D

This.

Finnex is supposed to be a great brand, so I'd call them up, and let them know what's going on. :)

Keep us posted!

Ok! That's good to know :D thanks ladies :hug

Finnex is a very trusted brand, I would say this is definitely out of the ordinary. I would contact them. I don't know if anyone has really looked into the lifespan of an LED over a tank. Hoppy on the TPT believes you would have to test their output periodically to see whether they are deteriorating or not.

Finnex is a very trusted brand, I would say this is definitely out of the ordinary. I would contact them. I don't know if anyone has really looked into the lifespan of an LED over a tank. Hoppy on the TPT believes you would have to test their output periodically to see whether they are deteriorating or not.

Hoppy is the man, yo! :D

Ok. Thank you Dan. :)

LEDs usually last approx 50,000 hrs. Your box says 40,000 hrs, which is close enough. This equates to, if lit for 6 hrs/day, to 6666.67 days or 18.25 years. If the circuit boards are dipped in epoxy the lighting should be waterproof. LEDs are also impervious to vibration, making them ideal for truck and vehicular lighting, and other hostile environments. LED quality varies greatly. Cheap LEDs burn out prematurely.

If you have a couple of LEDs die, then the LEDs used were defective. If the fixture is flickering then it is the circuit board or wiring. Either way, using it for less than a year is extremely premature for failure.

ahahy6ug.jpg

My lights are Finnex LEDs as well, though a different model from yours. I THINK they have a warranty on their products, but I'd have to check (will do in the morning, time for bed). If so, yours should still be covered. Mine are still working fine at just over a year old, so I'd definitely second (or is it third by now? need sleep) contacting Finnex directly and having them help you sort it out. I'm sure they don't want their good reputation getting taken down a few pegs by leaving faulty equipment out there.

LEDs usually last approx 50,000 hrs. Your box says 40,000 hrs, which is close enough. This equates to, if lit for 6 hrs/day, to 6666.67 days or 18.25 years. If the circuit boards are dipped in epoxy the lighting should be waterproof. LEDs are also impervious to vibration, making them ideal for truck and vehicular lighting, and other hostile environments. LED quality varies greatly. Cheap LEDs burn out prematurely.

If you have a couple of LEDs die, then the LEDs used were defective. If the fixture is flickering then it is the circuit board or wiring. Either way, using it for less than a year is extremely premature for failure.

ahahy6ug.jpg

My lights are Finnex LEDs as well, though a different model from yours. I THINK they have a warranty on their products, but I'd have to check (will do in the morning, time for bed). If so, yours should still be covered. Mine are still working fine at just over a year old, so I'd definitely second (or is it third by now? need sleep) contacting Finnex directly and having them help you sort it out. I'm sure they don't want their good reputation getting taken down a few pegs by leaving faulty equipment out there.

Excellent advice! Thanks so much! :hug

I plan to contact them first thing Monday morning :thumb:

I wanted to let you know that finnex only has 6 month warranty :(

But after verifying my buy date and me paying shipping they will repair my light and waive the repair fee. :idont

I'm disappointed :( now I have to figure out how to effectively pack this light safely!

That stinks. :(

Amen to that :tantrum

:rofl

That dont seem right that you have to pay the shipping.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I agree paying the shipping bites... but at least they think they can fix it! I'm pretty sure that's better than buying a whole new fixture!

The 6 month warranty makes me think that when mine die (hopefully in the far-flung future!) I'll be replacing them with a DIY fixture... plus, if something goes wrong, I'll know how to fix it!

I hope that they fix it quickly! Do you have a backup light, in the interim, so that your plants don't suffer?

I hope that they fix it quickly! Do you have a backup light, in the interim, so that your plants don't suffer?

Well, I have a floor lamp on them now :idont

But I don't have a backup aquarium light :(

I agree paying the shipping bites... but at least they think they can fix it! I'm pretty sure that's better than buying a whole new fixture!

The 6 month warranty makes me think that when mine die (hopefully in the far-flung future!) I'll be replacing them with a DIY fixture... plus, if something goes wrong, I'll know how to fix it!

I haven't the foggiest how to do a DIY light, but good for you! :thumb:

Maybe drag a few lamps over, and try to rotate which plants get light. Did they say how long it would take to fix?

Maybe drag a few lamps over, and try to rotate which plants get light. Did they say how long it would take to fix?

no. I haven't heard. I haven't even sent it out yet. :( they have to confirm my receipt first :( I'm thinking about just buying a new light :idont

no. I haven't heard. I haven't even sent it out yet. :( they have to confirm my receipt first :( I'm thinking about just buying a new light :idont

If you do buy a new light, still send this one out for repair, and use it as a backup. :)

If you do buy a new light, still send this one out for repair, and use it as a backup. :)

Good idea Tammster :bighug

That being said, what light will you buy this time? :rofl3

That being said, what light will you buy this time? :rofl3

I have NO, I mean zero idea! Do you have any suggestions?

I'm not sure I want LED.