Sign in to follow this  
MK_12

Need help identifying plant

Hello everyone, I am in need of your expertise on correctly identifying this plant. Also, if anyone can:

1- tell me if this plant is healthy or not

2- guide me into the proper conditions/care it would need.

I purchased them at Petco yesterday (a bunch of them came in the same tube) and it was labeled as Hygrophila Corymbosa Stricta Compacta :blink: Now, the only reason why I would like confirmation as far as the type of this plant goes is because when I purchased my anubias some were incorrectly labeled. I've looked up this Hygrophila type on line but they don't seem to match what I have so kind of confused. Please bear with me since I am still very new to aquatic plants and am trying my best to learn more about them. Just to let you guys also know, I have a low tech 50 gal tank with five anubias planted within. I plan to start with just low maintenance plants for now. Thank you in advance for all of your help :D oh and I apologize if the pics are too big... still trying to figure out all the technical stuff on koko's.

One more thing: I did disinfect the plants prior to adding them to the betta tank also low tech (19 parts water to 1 part bleach for 2 to 3 minutes. Hope this was correct) I decided to have them in the betta tank first before adding them to the goldies tank only because these plants are still pretty small and my goldfish would just destroy them.

IMG_0065_zps044e7409.jpg

IMG_0064_zpse1b33a57.jpg

IMG_0063_zpsf6dda6ef.jpg

Edited by MK_12

for the one that's in the first picture, at the bottom of the stem it doesn't feel so firm but it isn't squishy either. When I rubbed my fingers at the bottom of the stem it felt like it was peeling, kind of... I don't know if that makes sense

for all the other ones, yes, the stems are firm

Do you still have the packaging for the plant? If so, I'd repackage it, and bring it back. I find that when the tube plants go a little bit off, they quickly go way off. :(

If you want to try to get it rolling, cut off the squishy/melty part, and then float the plant, until it grows new roots

for all the other ones, yes, the stems are firm

That's good news! Those are ready to plant. What's your substrate?

oh ok great! I think I will do just that. let it float in the tank. I don't have the packaging anymore. But you gave me hope :D gracias!

No problem! :) If they don't look like they're growing so great, after a week or two, stick a root tab under there. Hygro is a pretty resilient plant, so I have no doubt that it'll grow well for you. :) Good luck!

That LOOKS like it was labeled correctly. If you really like it, I recommend keeping a stem in the betta tank, my goldies ate ALL of mine in a few hours, lol. I hear that once it decides it likes your tank, that stuff grows like a weed, and if you let it grow some above the water line, you might even get pretty blue flowers from it!

That LOOKS like it was labeled correctly. If you really like it, I recommend keeping a stem in the betta tank, my goldies ate ALL of mine in a few hours, lol. I hear that once it decides it likes your tank, that stuff grows like a weed, and if you let it grow some above the water line, you might even get pretty blue flowers from it!

Thank you Dragon's Rose! Yes, I've done just that. let it float in the betta tank. I also did what Yafashelli recommended and snipped some of the bottom of the stems off. So, I guess I just have to wait now for new roots to grow. I do like the plant. I like the color too. Will it stay red though?

Provided it has the right ferts and light, yes. I don't know a TON about it, like I said, mine got eaten pretty fast, so I don't have much experience... my understanding via the web though, is that it's one of the few red plants that ISN'T a challenge. I would GUESS that if you give it some flourish (liquid OR tabs, it shouldn't need both) and you have a light on the tank with a bulb intended for plants, that it will do nicely, and keep at least SOME of the red, probably most or all. If it starts loosing red, it should go to a lovely shade of dark green. If it starts going light green/yellow, it's not happy, you need to do some research to figure out what you're not doing right.

With all that said, there's a pretty good chance you can keep a fair amount of red without ANY ferts if you have medium to hard water and do water changes at least every other week. Just pay attention to it. If it isn't looking the way you THINK it should, check the web, there are lots of places out there with some good aquatic plant info. Many of those are forums where you can get help and advice from people who keep plants as obsessively as we here at Koko's keep our goldies. :)

Provided it has the right ferts and light, yes. I don't know a TON about it, like I said, mine got eaten pretty fast, so I don't have much experience... my understanding via the web though, is that it's one of the few red plants that ISN'T a challenge. I would GUESS that if you give it some flourish (liquid OR tabs, it shouldn't need both) and you have a light on the tank with a bulb intended for plants, that it will do nicely, and keep at least SOME of the red, probably most or all. If it starts loosing red, it should go to a lovely shade of dark green. If it starts going light green/yellow, it's not happy, you need to do some research to figure out what you're not doing right.

With all that said, there's a pretty good chance you can keep a fair amount of red without ANY ferts if you have medium to hard water and do water changes at least every other week. Just pay attention to it. If it isn't looking the way you THINK it should, check the web, there are lots of places out there with some good aquatic plant info. Many of those are forums where you can get help and advice from people who keep plants as obsessively as we here at Koko's keep our goldies. :)

gotcha :thumb: thank you!

i have the same plant in 4 of the 5 of my tanks.it will go through a transition stage ,where it will lose its small leaves and grow others that are a bit larger.with proper care it will grow quite fast.i have it under low-medium lighting and it produces pretty pink leaves.hygro is great to have in planted tanks because it shows nutrient deficiencies before all of the other plants. you can correct the nutrients and the plant will quickly bounce back. it shows potassium deficiencies the most.these will show as small pin holes. one of my favorite easy to grow plants.

i have the same plant in 4 of the 5 of my tanks.it will go through a transition stage ,where it will lose its small leaves and grow others that are a bit larger.with proper care it will grow quite fast.i have it under low-medium lighting and it produces pretty pink leaves.hygro is great to have in planted tanks because it shows nutrient deficiencies before all of the other plants. you can correct the nutrients and the plant will quickly bounce back. it shows potassium deficiencies the most.these will show as small pin holes. one of my favorite easy to grow plants.

This was really good to know. Thanks for sharing this info. As of right now they are definitely showing growth!