Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Stand for 80 gallon

Ok, so I just found an 80 gallon on Craigslist that we would seriously consider, EXCEPT that it's not pictured with a stand. I messaged the seller to see if they have one, but I figure not or they'd have it pictured too.

So what do you put your 80 gallon on? I know it's going to be HEAAAVY.

(A nice $300-400 stand is not in the picture for us, obviously or I wouldn't be asking) :lol3 and the only diy thing I can find online involves cinderblocks and plywood, and that's not going to fly here either. We need something in-between!

More importantly, am I stupid for even thinking I could handle a tank that size? :hide: We've had a fish for exactly 4 weeks... But this is a hobby that both my husband and I are finding we're interested in, and it seems smarter to just go big and skip all the in-between stuff maybe? However, we would probably not just walk into a store and buy an 80 gallon, this specific tank is a good deal. :lol3

Please ignore the mess.

7a2e5e5y.jpg

Yoy can make a wood one. This one has a 28 and a 36 on it and holds up just fine. Its just made out of wood flooring panels. You can use 2×4s and make a really stong one for a reasonable price. I have saw many things online on how to make them.

If yoy want I can make you a set of plans. (Better that what I have here as I did this just for function out of what I had in hand.)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I did build mine with with wood planks and cinder blocks, but used finished shelving and "stone" covered blocks. It is a bit rustic,however it could withstand a tornado and the price was right! :)

DSC06458_zps53c48567.jpg

Sorry keep getting a broken link when I try to insert a photo from photobucket :(

I did build mine with with wood planks and cinder blocks, but used finished shelving and "stone" covered blocks. It is a bit rustic,however it could withstand a tornado and the price was right! :)

http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/lldykstra/media/DSC06458_zps53c48567.jpg.html

Sorry keep getting a broken link when I try to insert a photo from photobucket :(

under the links to your photo is an option for the links... click on that and make sure you have the

[img][/img]
and option... that is the way to post them here.. :)

Or make sure you grab the Direct url... them come here and hit the image tag in the BBcode box, it looks like a photo with a tree in it... then paste the url. and then okay... :)

a5upupud.jpg

This is my 80 gallon. It's on a hand made wooden stand. Underneath it is completely open so I keep my canister and fish supplies underneath and it has an opening in the back for me to run hoses and such out of the back. My top sits on top of the tank and flips open so I have full access to the top of the tank and also has the lighting installed. I can get a better photo when I come home from work if you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool ideas everyone, looks like we might have to think outside the box a little more and see what we can come up with! :)

This may not be any of my business but if you live close to east TN I could make and stain one for you. I am a decent wood worker when I want to be lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hehe, no - Northern Indiana. I do watch for extreme southern Michigan stuff though, because a drive would be worth it for certain things!

Water weighs approx. 8.5 lbs. per gallon. So let's see.................. that comes to.............. dit..da..dit..dit....

680 lbs. :)

Thanks for all the pics and suggestions everyone - look what I scored today at the local ReStore for $20! Needs a little work, cleaned up, & a top, but the price was right and it's super sturdy! :D

IMG_53771_zpsd2414479.jpg?t=1395785225

IMG_53781_zps2a22a4b0.jpg

WOW! That looks great SweetMamaKaty. Now get you some Minwax and polish that baby up! Can't wait to see it set up!

(minwax makes a polish/wax with stain. It's in a can like car wax) so you could just try wiping it down with that I bet it would work great for you on that stand :)

WOW! That looks great SweetMamaKaty. Now get you some Minwax and polish that baby up! Can't wait to see it set up!

(minwax makes a polish/wax with stain. It's in a can like car wax) so you could just try wiping it down with that I bet it would work great for you on that stand :)

Oh, great idea! I might even have some in the basement, just have to check which color...

For the top I was originally thinking a kitchen counter top - but - maybe a pre-finished shelving thing would look nicer? I would need to put some trim along the top though where the old overhang was. Any other suggestions for top ideas?

Emilyadams - if you see this - would you mind taking a couple pic with your cabinet doors open? I'm trying to figure what the best way will be to have cutouts and whatnot, but I don't actually have any canisters yet to know how much space they take, etc...

I can do that for you in the next couple of days. I'm a nursing student and will be sleeping at the hospital for the next two nights due to the blizzard that's going to hit us here in Nova Scotia, Canada any minute now!

I can do that for you in the next couple of days. I'm a nursing student and will be sleeping at the hospital for the next two nights due to the blizzard that's going to hit us here in Nova Scotia, Canada any minute now!

whoa, not fun! We had snow again here today, just flurries but I was not thrilled. :)

SweetMamaKaty, I'm not sure what you mean.... but.... just a suggestion. The backs of my cabinets are nearly completely open.

Since it will be against a wall it should not make much difference in decreasing sound or allowing room for the intake & output lines of the canister..

Are you going to cut-out the back? Just leave enough of the back of the cabinet for very much support. The hoses should fit easily through a limited opening near the top of the cabinet :)

I highly suggest getting some polyurethane too... waterproof the inside (and out if it isn't already). Particle board does evil things when it gets wet... and I don't care HOW careful you are... it WILL get wet at some point!

Sweet purchase at your local ReStore!! That gives me ideas on where to find a cabinet for the 55 gallon I'll be upgrading to in the summer.

I highly suggest getting some polyurethane too... waterproof the inside (and out if it isn't already). Particle board does evil things when it gets wet... and I don't care HOW careful you are... it WILL get wet at some point!

I used to finish furniture, so here is another suggestion :)

If you decide to use a polyurethane you must know that it will not apply properly on top of the wax/stain.

I recommend lighly sanding -- re-staining w/close color match -- applying the urethane.

Use a #0000 grade steel wool between completely dried coats of the urethane for the smoothest finish.

(3 coats recommended) :)

Now you're just trying to make me work! :D

I'm realizing though with small children in the house, I won't be able to do anything with finishes until we can open windows. So a good cleaning will have to do for the moment. That's ok though, don't have the top yet anyway, or tank. :)

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

whoa, not fun! We had snow again here today, just flurries but I was not thrilled. :)

Here's those photos I promised :)

This is the hood. The front flips open and my lights are underneath. I usually have a piece of acrylic over the top of the tank to keep the lights from getting wet but I am in the middle of a water change :)

ba3u6ajy.jpgbebu8y4e.jpg5yba3a6a.jpg

The second photo shows the storage underneath and the third just shows the kind of half wall in the back that allows me to run my hoses out.

Thank you Emily! As it turns out, hubby overruled-slash-talked-me-into a tank/stand combo tonight. :)