Please help - Orandas with blood streaked fins

Trimom

Hello,

Please help me. I am scared for my fish. I have 2 Orandas in a 46 gallon bowfront tank. Water test yesterday ph 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40-80. I change the water every 5-7 days. I have tried API Erythromycin for 8 doses, Furan 2 for 4 doses, put salt in water, and am feeding Medi Gold. This has been going on since Jan. Tank is bare bottom with marbled, and I have a long air stone in it. I put General Cure in yesterday just to try it out of desperation. Fish are acting normally, but the streaks are getting worse :( PLease give me any advice. Thank you!!!

• Can you tell me how to upload a picture/ Here is the form. Thank you!!!
  • Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) o
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 40-80
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, 7 KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, about 3 inches without the tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Just prime whe I change ther water
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? MediGold 1-2 x a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? yes
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. tried erythromycin, furan 2, salt and general cure
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Blood streaks in fins, mostly tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, acting normally.

oops -

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

• * Water temperature? I do not have a heater
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 47 gallon bowfront, about a year and a few months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 HOB Aquaclear (big) and 1 canister with 3 baskets Rena XP3
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 5-7 days 50-70%

There is probably more to it but the nitrates are definitely high, I don't think all of the meds were beneficial & can be not helpful to the fish and beneficial bacteria. I would do some water changes (2 back to back with prime) to get the nitrates down, they aren't good for fish. I can't give any more info now (filter gph etc) because I have to get into work now. Match ph & temps for water changes, someone with better experience hopefully will come by to help you.

What type of test kit are you using and can you provide water test results from your tap please?

You'll need to upload pics and/or video to a hosting site (photobucket, YouTube etc) then copy and paste the link here :) let us know if you have trouble figuring out how to get pics linked

Why are you feeding the medigold and how long have you been feeding it? Are both fish eating it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post pics of the tails? Mine often have more noticeable red veins when the nitrates get high. Can you please test your tap water? That way we can make sure that a large water change is safe.

My laptop died and I'm typing on my phone. I'll try to create a photobucket account.

I'm using API freshwater master kit.

Tap water ph 6.8-7 (hard to tell)

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0

I bought the medigold to try to get the blood streaks to go away. Both fish eating it. Both have them. Otherwise they act 100% normal - very perky, friendly, stare at me begging for food, wagging their tails like dogs.

Last water change 3 days ago was prob 45%. Then I just did 50%. I was doing more like 75% water change every week before buy the fish store told me I was changing too much water. I can test my water again.

Thank you so much. I feel like I've tried everything and am missing something.

I tested again after water change

Ph 7

Ammonia is 0.25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20-40

I put prime in

Should I change again tomorrow because of ammonia? Are my fish sick? They are seriously swimming around vigorously.

Sorry for all the posts. I got really freaked out.

The tap ammonia was 0, nitrite and nitrate 0 in the tap. I actually thought maybe it was normal after trying very medicine, but then it looked worse and I freaked. We love these fish.

Hello, thanks for uploading the info and the pics!

From what I can see, this is not septicemia, and is just part and parcel with some white fish. Veins are visible, and that's it. That's why none of the treatments work.

I would not treat anymore, and just enjoy your fish. :)

• Supporter

i totally agree with Alex, your fish look normal! sit back and enjoy the live entertainment they bring you as they're perfectly healthy :)

veins are very common to be noticed in fish of lighter colours.. look at one of mine? she's got so many veins she's adorably ugly :wub:

but she's perfectly healthy :D

mspiggy_zps572d9e01.jpg

the only thing you need for your fish is nice clean, dechlorinated water.. that's it :)

I agree with both Helen and Alex, it doesn't look like anything to be concerned about. I also have a white/yellow fish who has quite clear veins in his tail.

However, your nitrates are reading quite high. It would be ideal to keep those 20ppm and under, so that is something to keep an eye on. :)

Btw, best not to listen to the fish store ;) as long as your tap and tank ph are matched within .5, there is no reason to worry about large water changes. I change at least 80% every 5-7 days and have done do for over 2yrs now without any ill effect to my cycle or fish. If you need to do big water changes to keep nitrates low then do it ;) some tropical varieties of fish can be sensitive to large water changes which is why I think this advice is often given about water changes.

• Supporter

Helen that fish is so cute!! Reminds me of a bulldog.

Helen that fish is so cute!! Reminds me of a bulldog.

she is such a sexy beast.. veins and all :rofl i love her to the moon and back :wub: