potassium permanganate

Kat_M

Four hours? That's a very long time. Then again I've only ever used bleach.

Kat, I always refer to this article. It hasn't steered me wrong over the years. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/aquatic-plants/how-to-disinfect-your-plants-r262

Sez who? Just you, or do you have a reference?

For fish, the bath is 4 hours or so in duration, but this is at a specific concentration of 2 or 4 ppm. No idea about plants. I just use bleach.

I only do PP for about 30 min :idont I haven't ever found a clear guideline for duration, it seems to vary from 15 min-several hours depending on who you talk to...it would be great to find a source that would clarify this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait til Tammy gets out of work. She uses PP. I'm pretty sure for hrs not mins, but I don't know the concentration :idont

Sorry this comment wasn't very helpful :peeka I should start taking notes I think :teehee

When I see her on Kokos tonight I'll send her to this thread :)

Wait til Tammy gets out of work. She uses PP. I'm pretty sure for hrs not mins, but I don't know the concentration :idont

Sorry this comment wasn't very helpful :peeka I should start taking notes I think :teehee

Yes, if I remember correctly Tammy does do hours. Many people do. Many people also do minutes, what I'm curious about is if there is any legitimate source to confirm the need for hours of soaking? Maybe I'm just lazy lol. I haven't had an issue so far but I also tend to avoid buying from places that are sketchy and if I do I then use bleach ...and I think I bleach longer than most ;)

:idont

I use bleach myself, but I buy the hardy plants that can take bleach and won't dissolve, but Tammy is special :heart:hug

Yes, if I remember correctly Tammy does do hours. Many people do. Many people also do minutes, what I'm curious about is if there is any legitimate source to confirm the need for hours of soaking? Maybe I'm just lazy lol. I haven't had an issue so far but I also tend to avoid buying from places that are sketchy and if I do I then use bleach ...and I think I bleach longer than most ;)

Jess, I suspect that the people who do hours are the ones who actually use the same protocol as the fish, with concentrations of around 4ppm.

The ones who do 10 minutes are the ones who guesstimate, and just get the water a nice purple.

I think.

I'm here! :hi

I use the same protocol for plants, as I would with fish. 4 ppm at 4 hours duration. Why hours over minutes? I'm afraid that using a far higher concentration will mess with my plants, and would much rather go "low and slow".

I will only use PP when I'm dealing with a delicate plant, which cannot tolerate bleach. For anubias and swords, bleach is still my ultra-preferred method.