Sign in to follow this  
Sara Shissler

Filter for Betta and Snail Tank--16 gallon

I recently set up a 16 gallon tank--the original one my goldfish came in--as a betta/snail tank.

The filter it came with is an Aqueon 20. Is this too much of a flow for a betta? It seems to send a pretty strong current right down the middle of the tank, and I can see all of the plants moving.

What kind of filter would you put on a tank this size for a betta and snails?

Thanks!

Sara

It really shouldn't matter if you are able to baffle it. I attach a piece of filter floss to mine. :) It makes a world of a difference. Raising the water level higher helps, too.

I use a Top Fin 10 that came with a kit a few years ago for my 5 gallon. It does the job.

For bettas, you don't really need hardcore filters. Your best option would probably be an AC 20.

I have an AC 20 on my 10 gallon betta tank and they do fine with it. I do have it turned all the way down . . .

If even turned down it's too much, they are super easy to baffle. :D

Ok--bear with me--I'm still pretty new to this--how do I baffle? :I-Thank-You:

Where would I put the filter floss? :I-Thank-You:

Unfortunately there is no turning down the Aqueon filter.

This is how I baffled Waldo's filter with filter pad.

ryne6ena.jpg

Just stuffed it in the outflow. :)

I see. I'll have to play around with it. I'm not sure how I would do that with the filter I have. But I would rather get an AC anyway.

Thanks!

Another thing--and I'm not saying that I'm thinking of doing this--when I was at the fish store getting my plants, I told the person who is always there that I was going to put a betta in my 16 gallon. He said that I should get 4 bettas--a male and 3 females. Now, from everything I've read, this would be disastrous--right? If I was going to try for a group of bettas, wouldn't it have to be all female?

I've been thinking about it ever since he said that. He was so enthusiastic about it, and he is the most knowledgeable person I've met locally. So I just had to ask whether it is more LFS nonsense, or if it could work.

He is a braver man than I would be but I do have a friend with a male and female betta in a tank. They get along well together.

In terms of filter, the AC would obviously be a good powerful choice. We have a stingray filter in my son's tropical tank. It is internal and not as powerful as the AC but I have been tremendously impressed by its reliability and ease of use.

He is a braver man than I would be but I do have a friend with a male and female betta in a tank. They get along well together.

In terms of filter, the AC would obviously be a good powerful choice. We have a stingray filter in my son's tropical tank. It is internal and not as powerful as the AC but I have been tremendously impressed by its reliability and ease of use.

Yeah, I don't think I'm that brave either! Not for my first betta anyway.