Eggs! We've got eggs!

I've never raised fry before so I don't know how this is gonna turn out but I'm gonna give it a shot.

item.JPG?rot=1

These were stuck to the glass of my 55gal tank this morning. I had a feeling romance was in the air last night.

item.JPG?rot=1

Congrats! It is work, but yes, SO fun.

Good luck!!

There's something in the spring air/water! Watch out everyone! Your tank could be next! :rofl3

It better not be my tank. :redcard I've told them, it's a celibate zone unless they're just making breakfast.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. An interesting development - when I went out this morning to feed the fish before leaving for work I looked in the tank with the eggs and there was a free swimming fry! At first I was very confused, all of theses eggs were from yesterday morning. But then I realized that it was probably from the last spawning. I had assumed the fish had eaten all the eggs, but i guess this little guy made it through.

Okay, so when I got home from work this evening I counted at least four fry swimming around in the tank with all the eggs. I don't have anything to feed them, so I crushed up a couple of Hikari pellets with a hammer and put the fine dust in the tank. Some floated and some sank, but I did see a couple of the fry that looked like they were eating it.

If I have time tomorrow after work, I'll go see if I can find a LFS that has brine shrimp eggs and start a hatchery. Worst case scenario, I should be able to get some going by Saturday.

Congratulations! I had my first spawn around 4 days ago, so we're in the same boat, though I don't yet have any fry! Good luck, can't wait to see pictures :D

Congratulations! I had my first spawn around 4 days ago, so we're in the same boat, though I don't yet have any fry! Good luck, can't wait to see pictures :D

Thank you so much. Good luck to you too!

Okay, here's what I've got now. I have only the roughest guess about how many there are - probably between one and two hundred.

item.JPG?rot=1

They are all over the tank like this. Yikes!

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

item.JPG?rot=1

I've moved about two dozen of the fry into a dishpan. Most went straight to the side and stuck there but a few are swimming around.

How many big fish do you have? It might be easier to transfer them somewhere else for a while.

There were four big ones and one little one in that tank. I removed them after I saw that I had fertilized eggs. This was actually the third spawn this season. The first time, nothing was fertilized. Apparently all my big fish are girls! So I move a little guy that I was pretty sure was a guy in with the big girls. Sure enough in a few days there were fertilized eggs attached to the aquarium glass. I hoped the fish wouldn't notice the eggs on the glass but each day there were fewer there and finally none. So, I made spawning mops and sure enough a few days later, fertilized eggs stuck to the glass again. This time I got smart and realized that if I couldn't move the eggs I'd have to move the fish! Bingo, third time's a charm!

Now I've got fry everywhere. I've got no idea how many, probably several hundred. I'm moving them out of the tank as I catch them free swimming. As long as they are stuck to the side of the tank, I leave them alone. The problem for me is that I've never raised fry before. I'm moving them into a dishpan that holds about a gallon and a half of water. Tomorrow, I'll move them to an identical dishpan. I plan to move them back and forth each day.

I plan to feed them egg yolk at first, then baby brine shrimp after a few days. If anybody spots a fatal flaw in my plan, please let me know.

I had hundreds too, and I kept them in a 40B with just enough water to cover my sponge filter until they got bigger, and I added an AC70 with a sponge of the intake to keep it from sucking anybody up. I don't think a dishpan will cut it. LOL Other than that, sounds like a plan. :D

I need to try and take a picture or short movie of the tank that the fry are in. There are probably somewhere between 500 and 1000 fry in it. It's crazy how many there are. I took a hundred out and put them in the small tub; it didn't even make a dent in the number in the tank. I moved them to the other tub tonight. They don't seem to be developing as fast as the ones in the tank though.

Here's a short video of the fry in the 55 gal tank. I've been feeding them egg yolk, I still don't have any brine shrimp yet. It looks to me like their little bellies are yellow so I believe they are eating the egg yolk.