New Fish Attitude !*

Hello*

I have a 55 with 4 fancies - a Very* large red and white ryukin (Eunice) , Very* large chocolate oranda, and smaller white ryukin and red fantail.

I've had a tank divider up with boys on one side and girls on the other while my ladies were healing from a previous thing.

Eunice has been very non mobile for a while now - just not really as active as much as the other fish - but today she started nipping at Ginger's (fantail) tail and quite a bit (little chucks are missing) - so I moved the divider over and put my lil Ginger on the smaller side by herself and introduced Eunice back to the larger side with the boys. Now i saw her nip at Thurston's (oranda) tail a few times - but not as much.

As I'm watching them Eunice is all over the tank ..... she's following Thurston - nudging him, bumping into him, swimming all other the place - I've NEVER seen her act like this.

Obviously she's starting to feel better - is this some sort of "big fish thing" - Do fish get territorial? They seem to be bumping each other a lot...... I'm like in shock over here - she's like a totally different fish - she's so lively*

If the fish is *very* large, it is probably sexually mature. Are you 100% certain that Eunice is female? Sounds like it might be breeding behaviour!

Yes - She already spawned with The Professor (my male ryukin) and laid eggs. She mellowed out again today - I actually preferred her lively side - she def has some underlying issues - but she's still healing up - so I'll let her recover before I figure those things out*

Hello*

I have a 55 with 4 fancies - a Very* large red and white ryukin (Eunice) , Very* large chocolate oranda, and smaller white ryukin and red fantail.

I've had a tank divider up with boys on one side and girls on the other while my ladies were healing from a previous thing.

Eunice has been very non mobile for a while now - just not really as active as much as the other fish - but today she started nipping at Ginger's (fantail) tail and quite a bit (little chucks are missing) - so I moved the divider over and put my lil Ginger on the smaller side by herself and introduced Eunice back to the larger side with the boys. Now i saw her nip at Thurston's (oranda) tail a few times - but not as much.

As I'm watching them Eunice is all over the tank ..... she's following Thurston - nudging him, bumping into him, swimming all other the place - I've NEVER seen her act like this.

Obviously she's starting to feel better - is this some sort of "big fish thing" - Do fish get territorial? They seem to be bumping each other a lot...... I'm like in shock over here - she's like a totally different fish - she's so lively*

Wow that is exactly what happened to me, my ryukin pushed and chased little lionheads every morning so I had to separate them and put the lionheads in a different tank

If she has some underlying issues, they should be taken care if ASAP. Could you please give us your tank parameters?

She's been through a lot and needs to heal from those things - she's so much better than she was but I still feel she needs to become a little more lively.

PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 30

Edited by greenorchid