Split tail tale

Pierogi is a 7 month old single tailed fry who is --let me be polite here-- an aggressive feeder. Her 2nd favorite past time (after eating) is uprooting the planted tank looking for more food.
perogiethefry.jpg

More than a week ago I was saddened to see a deep tear in her tail nearly up to the peduncle. Most of what I read said to keep the water conditions very clean and not worry. 10 days later it seems to have healed up overnight. I can still see the seam where the tear has reconnected, but the little dumpling seems to be as good as new.

PierogiTail.jpg
Thought I’d share that with you all. :goldfish:

• Supporter

i can't make out what the first pic is, but i can see the healed tail in the second pic :heart

it's true, nice clean water for most superficial injuries is all a healthy goldfish needs to do it's own magical healing thing. good work, hun :bighug

I can't make out what the first pic is, but i can see the healed tail in the second pic :heart

:gfish: that's a Polish pierogi dumpling photoshopped over Pierogi.

it's true, nice clean water for most superficial injuries is all a healthy goldfish needs to do it's own magical healing thing. good work, hun :bighug

Thanks Helen, it sure seems magical to me.

i can't make out what the first pic is, but i can see the healed tail in the second pic :heart

this is such a great point -- i second the motion! all of you on this site have helped me understand so much more the importance of water quality, not to mention the *timing* of using it during any healing process. also, it's nice to have encouragement/support when so many water changes are on the menu :)

anyhow, hooray for this little cutie. nice work!

Excellent. Yep, clean water is the best medicine for many things.

That is my major takeaway from this forum!

Good to hear that Pierogi's healing response is alive and well!

Mmmmh pierogi.... :Scoff:

Things like this usually heal quickly, as you see. :)

Actually it took me by surprise. After it happened I read what I could find about torn fins on the Internet, but I don't remember reading specifically that the fin would reconnect. I did read that it would "heal" and that the fish would be fine.

Newbie here didn't assume healed meant that the fin would reconnect back into one piece, with the tear nearly unnoticable.

• Supporter

Mmmmh pierogi.... :Scoff:

Things like this usually heal quickly, as you see. :)

Actually it took me by surprise. After it happened I read what I could find about torn fins on the Internet, but I don't remember reading specifically that the fin would reconnect. I did read that it would "heal" and that the fish would be fine.

Newbie here didn't assume healed meant that the fin would reconnect back into one piece, with the tear nearly unnoticable.

i cut a complete section out from my fish's tail, including the rays, which needed gluing to stop the blood coming through them like it does when you slice open a vein.. since the rays have veins running through them (so i learned). that whole section regrew.. their fins have a memory, like the hair on our body, they will grow back to a certain length if not to fully grow, they will to a ball park. i had also cut off a big section of his dorsal which grew back to full length. aside from the initial 2-3 days of heavy salting because there was bleeding involved and i needed to keep the water sterile, nice clean water changes for the next 2 weeks and regrowth of new fin was very fast. torn fins are super speedy to heal if the water is right.

here is the thread, you don't need to watch the vids to see the pics of where the regrowth is shown. it's the bits which are white in the pictures below all the videos. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/109032-leonidis-tumor-removal-11032013/