Sign in to follow this  
JordanWong1998

So Many Goldfish Types!

Hello KoKo's Forum Members!

I currently have either 3 Rosy Reds, or 3 Common Goldfish. I'm not sure, or even how to go about on how to find out what kind of goldfish they are. But I am thinking about rehoming them. So does anyone live in the Lebanon, New Hampshire area, that would like them, care for them? But that is not what this post is about.

I'm trying to decide what kind of Goldfish to get. I was thinking of a Ryukin. But I'm trying to find a goldfish that has the following charistics.

• Very Colorful, Like A Koi.
  • Has Many Fins, Like A Ryukin, FanTail & VeilTail

So, with that being said, What do you think would be a good choice? Thank you!

:goodpost

I like to also consider myself a --> :postwhore:

Why don't you post photos of the fish that you have, so that we can help you identify them.

What is your current tank size?

Koi should only be kept in very large ponds, so it would be a good idea to mark those off of your list. :)

Why don't you post photos of the fish that you have, so that we can help you identify them.

What is your current tank size?

Koi should only be kept in very large ponds, so it would be a good idea to mark those off of your list. :)

Don't worry! I don't intend to have Koi's. They are too big! I have a 10 gallon.

With a ten gallon, I would recommend only certain tropical fish. I will leave stocking your tank to the tropical experts. Goldfish need a far bigger tank in order to live a full, healthy life.

With a ten gallon, I would recommend only certain tropical fish. I will leave stocking your tank to the tropical experts. Goldfish need a far bigger tank in order to live a full, healthy life.

But I love Goldfish. :( I couldn't have one Ryukin?

Not for very long, no. The minimum recommended tank size is 40 gallons, as these large, messy fish require quite a lot of room. Within that frame, we recommend 15-20 gallons per fish.

We very often will QT a fish in a 10 gallon tank, but for any longer than very short term housing, no. Not even one fancy goldfish will do very well.

Chelsea M has quite a good video of her Clementine swimming in a ten gallon. I'm sure that she'd be very happy to share it with you. :)

I'd like to add that there are members here with 20 gallon tanks, housing a single goldfish. This is the absolute smallest size tank you could use, but you must be aware that your fish may outgrow it, in a year or two.

Edited by yafashelli

Not for very long, no. The minimum recommended tank size is 40 gallons, as these large, messy fish require quite a lot of room. Within that frame, we recommend 15-20 gallons per fish.

We very often will QT a fish in a 10 gallon tank, but for any longer than very short term housing, no. Not even one fancy goldfish will do very well.

Chelsea M has quite a good video of her Clementine swimming in a ten gallon. I'm sure that she'd be very happy to share it with you. :)

I'd like to add that there are members here with 20 gallon tanks, housing a single goldfish. This is the absolute smallest size tank you could use, but you must be aware that your fish may outgrow it, in a year or two.

Thanks for telling, I will note this! But if I get a baby Ryukin, how fast would they outgrow the tank? I will need to save up money!

Really fast lol. Think of it like a puppy. They grow soooo fast!!!

They will outgrow it very very quickly. My advice would be do not do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveuaeF7koo&list=PLkGlL4yQdl-MY4d6PmqI632EScgtQUz-A&index=18

She is not even her full size in this video, and had grown quite a bit larger in the months to come, as she was only about a year old at that time. She was still growing quickly up until she passed away a week ago due to an infection. Her weight upon passing was 180g, length not including tail was 5.5 inches, and length with tail was well over 7 inches. She was only 2-2.5 years old. The following video showed how quickly she grew over that time, and the progression of tanks she went through before finally moving to a 70g indoor pond setup, followed by the 23gal QT tank you see her swimming in at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UrMK4wSPhs&list=UUmD4TxP883tn0FRMY25RunQ

Also, a video of her in the pond back in February with her equally-sized tankmate, Tsumo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmEBDysaMkY&list=UUmD4TxP883tn0FRMY25RunQ

I seriously cannot hold either of them one-handed. It takes 2 hands and a nearby helper to do anything with a fish that size. BOTH fish are/were only 2 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IveuaeF7koo&list=PLkGlL4yQdl-MY4d6PmqI632EScgtQUz-A&index=18

She is not even her full size in this video, and had grown quite a bit larger in the months to come, as she was only about a year old at that time. She was still growing quickly up until she passed away a week ago due to an infection. Her weight upon passing was 180g, length not including tail was 5.5 inches, and length with tail was well over 7 inches. She was only 2-2.5 years old. The following video showed how quickly she grew over that time, and the progression of tanks she went through before finally moving to a 70g indoor pond setup, followed by the 23gal QT tank you see her swimming in at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UrMK4wSPhs&list=UUmD4TxP883tn0FRMY25RunQ

Also, a video of her in the pond back in February with her equally-sized tankmate, Tsumo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmEBDysaMkY&list=UUmD4TxP883tn0FRMY25RunQ

I seriously cannot hold either of them one-handed. It takes 2 hands and a nearby helper to do anything with a fish that size. BOTH fish are/were only 2 years old.

Two of my fish are "two-handers", and I always make sure to never carry them very far from the floor, as two hands isn't quite enough. They are approaching the two year old mark.

I cannot stress enough just how quickly these guys grow. Stick with a nice planted betta tank, and know that you're doing the best for the pet entrusted in your care.

(Video removed for space concern reasons)

Thank you somuch Chelsea, the videos as long as the advice you gave me helped me! I know have a better perspective, thank you! :D

I live in NH but I seriously can't take anymore fish, lol. But hey fellow NH poster!

I have a ten gallon betta tank and it's awesome so don't feel discouraged if that's all you can do at the moment. :) Or you could wait until Petco's dollar per gallon sale and get a 20+ gallon for a goldfish.