I'm throwing in the towel.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you were doing to get rid of the midge flys but you should probably stop. Blood worms are the larval stage of the midge fly. So they are basically providing you with some of the best goldfish food available for free.

Thank you for a useful post, but I do have a couple of comments.

Maybe you are doing too much. you can keep goldfish with no equipment at all just a tub and water changes, although you are better off with an airstone in there. That's how I breed mine outdoors just a tub and an airstone, no filter at all. Change water ever 3 -6 days. I didn't think white fly larvae were aquatic.

I agree.

Green water = too much light.

Green water does not have a single cause. My ponds are in subtropical sun -- which is dazzling light -- and I have poured green water into a pond, and the pond was perfectly clear in an hour. Green water happens when planktonic green algae monopolize the ammonia processing system. This can happen in a new pond when nitrifiers are just getting established in the filter, or in the spring when the nitrifiers are slower than the algae at getting up to speed. These are normally temporary.

Established green water can only be corrected by rebuilding the ecosystem of the pond. I have never heard of green water in a pond with a properly constructed bog filter nor in one with a DIY upflow biofilter with lots of plants in the top of the filter or which empties into a veggie filter.

Dropsy is just a symptom of other problems, parasites, bacterial infection, virus, could be almost anything.

True

If you cure a dropsy fish with medication you probably just got lucky. Euthanasia is the most humane course of action. A fish with dropsy will probably never recover fully and given the likelyhood of it surviving in the first place its better just to euthanize.

Actually, we successfully treat dropsy on this forum. I have treated two dropsied fish, one two years ago. Her condition was advanced and recovery required a month. She has been healthy ever since. The other was a year ago. I caught him early, and the symptoms were gone within two weeks. He remains healthy.

Maybe your tap water has something odd in it. Or maybe your filter has something in it. You could try getting a sponge filter, they are very cheap and work very well. I would hate to see anyone give up the goldfish hobby. Maybe get some $0.10 feeder goldfish to restart your tank before giving a go with the fancys.

I am so sorry :( I wonder if maybe the SOURCE of your fish is the problem. Not sure if that was brought up as I haven't read through all the replies. Just keep in mind that the majority of fish in your local chain stores are likely to all come from the same supplier.

Or maybe it is something in your water supply, something we cannot test for? Try to find out if there is a somewhat local group of fish keepers and ask them about this. Maybe your local LFS has some sort of message board where you can pin a little flyer, or maybe they know about local fish keeper groups. Even if that group is not about goldfish, they may have a clue about more local problems with the water supply.

Either way, I wish you and your fish the best possibly outcome :)

I am so sorry :( I wonder if maybe the SOURCE of your fish is the problem. Not sure if that was brought up as I haven't read through all the replies. Just keep in mind that the majority of fish in your local chain stores are likely to all come from the same supplier.

Or maybe it is something in your water supply, something we cannot test for? Try to find out if there is a somewhat local group of fish keepers and ask them about this. Maybe your local LFS has some sort of message board where you can pin a little flyer, or maybe they know about local fish keeper groups. Even if that group is not about goldfish, they may have a clue about more local problems with the water supply.

Either way, I wish you and your fish the best possibly outcome :)

That is a good idea. Now that I think about it, a couple years ago when I had a smaller tank and did water changes with RO water (I think it was RO, it was a little place where you could fill up big jugs of water) I had like no problems.

Also I thought that about a year ago, the source of my fish, and ordered a few times from dandy orandas. I've had fish from Texas and in Colorado. My last fish from Texas that I've had maybe.. 2-3 years finally died on me like a month ago. I lost all dandy oranda goldfish.

Edited by Tiffany_King

I don't know what you were doing to get rid of the midge flys but you should probably stop. Blood worms are the larval stage of the midge fly. So they are basically providing you with some of the best goldfish food available for free.

They come back in a week after a new tank or scrub. They look horrible. I'm sure they're snacking on them but they're definitely not keeping up with them. A tank full of these guys covering all the sides looks disgusting.

If you are worried about keeping them outdoors, try an indoor pond setup! :) I really love mine.

Lol I did have my tub inside waiting until it was a little warmer to go outside and it was smelly.

I treat my indoor pond like an aquarium, so it doesn't ever get smelly. :idont

If you are worried about keeping them outdoors, try an indoor pond setup! :) I really love mine.

Lol I did have my tub inside waiting until it was a little warmer to go outside and it was smelly.

With a suitable filter, that won't happen. The only time my ponds have an odor is when the fish are spawning.

I felt like giving up goldfish a few years back after losing a whole tank to some unknown disease :( but since then only a few loses from poorly kept fish sources :( with my disabilities I sometimes feel overwhelmed,but without my goldfish I would feel empty!I hope to never have to give them up :) I hope in time you can make things work!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Maybe putting some tubs with bog filters and feeders will be my best bet.

Here is a DIY pond, filter, veggie filter, and continuous water change system.

I would definitely do this. I just need to read it a bunch of times and see if I can comprehend it all lol. Hopefully my boyfriend can help me out.

I treat my indoor pond like an aquarium, so it doesn't ever get smelly. :idont
It might have been smelly bc we didn't have air flow of any kind in that room? Not sure

I felt like giving up goldfish a few years back after losing a whole tank to some unknown disease :( but since then only a few loses from poorly kept fish sources :( with my disabilities I sometimes feel overwhelmed,but without my goldfish I would feel empty!I hope to never have to give them up :) I hope in time you can make things work!

Thank you :) I think starting fresh and taking my time to get things perfect might just do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

You could always try hardier types of fish.

Just like a mutt is often healthier than a purebred dog, these "below show standard" goldfish that are not over bred can often be much healthier and hardier, or like the 10cent feeders that were mentioned earlier.

Chances are that they are much healthier and might possibly not even be afflicted by whatever happens to the fancy goldfish.

You could always try hardier types of fish.

Just like a mutt is often healthier than a purebred dog, these "below show standard" goldfish that are not over bred can often be much healthier and hardier, or like the 10cent feeders that were mentioned earlier.

Chances are that they are much healthier and might possibly not even be afflicted by whatever happens to the fancy goldfish.

I definitely think I'll be trying those types for a while.

Maybe putting some tubs with bog filters and feeders will be my best bet.

Here is a DIY pond, filter, veggie filter, and continuous water change system.

I would definitely do this. I just need to read it a bunch of times and see if I can comprehend it all lol. Hopefully my boyfriend can help me out.

That's what I did when I built my first filter. I read two or three threads on a pond forum for very similar filters and tried to piece it all together. Those were much more difficult filters since people weren't using uniseals back then.

Here are some more variations on basically the same filter.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/107385-container-bog-filter/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100931-mini-bog-filter-for-aquarium-or-container-pond/?

hl=%2Bpond+%2Bfilter+%2B40b

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100490-pond-filter-system-for-the-40b/?hl=%2Bpond+%2Bfilter+%2B40b

Green water does not have a single cause. My ponds are in subtropical sun -- which is dazzling light -- and I have poured green water into a pond, and the pond was perfectly clear in an hour. Green water happens when planktonic green algae monopolize the ammonia processing system. This can happen in a new pond when nitrifiers are just getting established in the filter, or in the spring when the nitrifiers are slower than the algae at getting up to speed. These are normally temporary.

Established green water can only be corrected by rebuilding the ecosystem of the pond. I have never heard of green water in a pond with a properly constructed bog filter nor in one with a DIY upflow biofilter with lots of plants in the top of the filter or which empties into a veggie filter.

Good point. I wasn't saying lots of light = green water but you don't get green water with out lots of light. When I had green water issues with a stock tank, I just put an opaque cover over 2/3 or so and the green water disappeared a few days later.

I hope you won't give up if you enjoy the hobby. You've already gotten lots of great suggestions etc. from everyone :)

Fish get sick unfortunately, sometimes despite our best efforts. It can be devastating to lose a fish, and even worse more than one in succession, but sometimes there isn't much we can do :idont

I think I'm going to try a mini bog filter inside on my tropical tank to see how that goes. It has a sand bottom, can a pump still be used? don't they usually have suction cups, I could just suction above the sand?

I hope you won't give up if you enjoy the hobby. You've already gotten lots of great suggestions etc. from everyone :)

Fish get sick unfortunately, sometimes despite our best efforts. It can be devastating to lose a fish, and even worse more than one in succession, but sometimes there isn't much we can do :idont

Well my boyfriend won't be happy to hear this (he was very excited that I was getting rid of an aquarium lol) but maybe I'll make a nice set up for the 2 fish I have left, outside, while I restart their tank. Bleach dip the plants and use a stronger solution on the tank itself. Clean up a couple filters I have and maybe try to sell them and get a new one. The fish with dropsy is recovering nicely but I'll continue treatment for a whole month so I'll have time to make something outside.

If I get a new filter and bring the goldfish back into the cleaned tank, could they bring back with them whatever was plaguing my tank? I was thinking after a month on metro meds and a salt dip before going into their new place might knock off anything and give them a fresh start. Well.. Now that I think of it a salt dip might not be good for the dropsy fish.

• Supporter

salt dip for the dropsy fish is fine, it's only momentarily exposed. treating with salt in the tank for short (several days) or long term for dropsy fish is what i have observed to be the issue. but a salt dip should be ok.

Good point. I wasn't saying lots of light = green water but you don't get green water with out lots of light. When I had green water issues with a stock tank, I just put an opaque cover over 2/3 or so and the green water disappeared a few days later.

My 300 gallon pond is in almost complete shade due to a very large and leafy maple tree above it; only slivers of sunshine get through at certain times of the day. Plus I live in Seattle :). Every spring I still have green water that takes a while to clear. So in my experience green water can still happen in areas of lower light.