I'm throwing in the towel.

I seem to have a goldfish plague and for the sake of these poor guys I'm giving up the hobby. Once they are healthy I'll be finding them and my death trap tank a new home. It's so frustrating and I can't help but feel like a failure. I've done everything right and have bought them whatever they need. I've barely been able to just enjoy my tank. There's always something wrong and I've come to the conclusion that I have a curse or a serious dropsy bug that wont stop following my tanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This hobby can be so heartbreaking at times. But I bet you'll see that special fish one day....and then? All of what you learned won't be lost. Hope you give it another chance when the time is right.

Maybe a break will be good! I've always felt that when I get so frustrated with something or start to dislike something I used to love a little time away makes things more enjoyable later!

I would say if you truly feel you need to rehome your fish then do it but I would keep your equipment and try again in a few months or longer :):idont It's what I would do...

:hug good luck and know we are all here for you! Do what you need to do for yourself :hug

• Supporter

I'm so sorry you have been having such troubles. I sympathize with you. A while back, I too had something very serious happening in my tank and ended up losing all of my beloved goldies. It was very hard on me and I decided to leave the hobby for a while. My "break" lasted almost 3 years! Then, before I knew it, I had the itch and was back into keeping goldfish. I completely understand where you are coming from. You may decide to take a "break" like I did, or stop all together, but either way, I suggest doing what feels right to you and I wish you the best. :bighug

I'm so sorry for you, but perhaps a break would be a good thing for a while. I agree with Mernany, if you can hang on to the equipment. Storing it indoors would be good.

Best Wishes

hi tiffany, i'm so sorry you are feeling frustrated. it's very understandable. i once took a very long break, after losing a particularly beloved fish. part of what brought me back was reading threads at kokos -- :) somehow knowing i was not alone in the sadness and discouragement i had been feeling really helped.

:heart

I know this is really heartbreaking for you. It is always heartbreaking to lose a fish, and that it compounds over time doesn't help at all. My suggestion, like others have said, is to not quit completely. A break would be good, maybe even as short as to completely bleach the tank then re-cycle it fishlessly to create a brand new environment. Sometimes getting a clean and fresh start will help. :hug

I know I have decided twice not to keep goldfish. But always some back. A break might be just what you need. But think I would keep the tank.

Tiffany,

I'm so sorry :(

May I make a crazy suggestion? Don't quit. Build a pond! :hug

Lol as much as I want one I think I'd have just as much bad luck.

I think our pond experts will agree that while there are of course still challenges one must overcome with ponds, the environment of a pond is infinitely better for goldfish, and will lend a hand to better health. :)

Thank you everyone :)

Maybe a break will be good! I've always felt that when I get so frustrated with something or start to dislike something I used to love a little time away makes things more enjoyable later!

I would say if you truly feel you need to rehome your fish then do it but I would keep your equipment and try again in a few months or longer :):idont It's what I would do...

:hug good luck and know we are all here for you! Do what you need to do for yourself :hug

I believe it would be in the best interest of the fish. I'm feeling like a goldfish serial killer.

I think the problem is the equipment. I've gone through 3 tanks and the same filter. Even tho I've bleached the filter the white fly larvae come right back and all the green water and algae. And every fish gets dropsy... One after the other.

I think my equipment needs a serious bleaching multiple times before being used again. But if I do decide on a goldfish later on, I'd want to start fresh.

I believe it would be in the best interest of the fish. I'm feeling like a goldfish serial killer.

I think the problem is the equipment. I've gone through 3 tanks and the same filter. Even tho I've bleached the filter the white fly larvae come right back and all the green water and algae. And every fish gets dropsy... One after the other.

I think my equipment needs a serious bleaching multiple times before being used again. But if I do decide on a goldfish later on, I'd want to start fresh.

dear tiffany, i know that feeling! i really do.

there was a moment when i threw out all my old filters - and the tanks, too -- right into the outside bin!

when you are ready, i do hope and believe that this experience (or string of experiences) might make you a very good keeper of fish.

there's no hurry. it took me 5 years or so to be ready, again.

good thoughts...

:)

Tiffany,

I think our pond experts will agree that while there are of course still challenges one must overcome with ponds, the environment of a pond is infinitely better for goldfish, and will lend a hand to better health. :)

Is there any chance of having one in Colorado? The winters are long and harsh.

there was a moment when i threw out all my old filters - and the tanks, too -- right into the outside bin!

when you are ready, i do hope and believe that this experience (or string of experiences) might make you a very good keeper of fish.

good thoughts...

That makes me feel a lot better! :)

good thoughts...

That makes me feel a lot better! :)

ps:

i'm not sure…. the crystal ball often does not show the whole picture but merely a dream-image….

but i think i see? it is possible that there there could be…?

a pond in your future…??

:D

(i know i definitely wish for one in mine :P )

Tiffany,

Is there any chance of having one in Colorado? The winters are long and harsh.

If they can have ponds in Canada and MI, etc., I think it's possible to have a pond in CO. :)

Well I guess I'll have time to make things perfect for an outdoor set up :) and switch from fancies to commons, which hopefully will be easier lol. I hope I can find a good home for my 2. (Which I'm torn about daily.. I just have to remember they'll be better off) if I can't, maybe an outdoor set up with new pumps ect during the warm months...

Maybe you are doing too much. you can keep goldfish with no equipment at all just a tub and water changes, although you are better off with an airstone in there. That's how I breed mine outdoors just a tub and an airstone, no filter at all. Change water ever 3 -6 days. I didn't think white fly larvae were aquatic. Are you sure that's what it is? Green water = too much light. Dropsy is just a symptom of other problems, parasites, bacterial infection, virus, could be almost anything. If you cure a dropsy fish with medication you probably just got lucky. Euthanasia is the most humane course of action. A fish with dropsy will probably never recover fully and given the likelyhood of it surviving in the first place its better just to euthanize. Maybe your tap water has something odd in it. Or maybe your filter has something in it. You could try getting a sponge filter, they are very cheap and work very well. I would hate to see anyone give up the goldfish hobby. Maybe get some $0.10 feeder goldfish to restart your tank before giving a go with the fancys.

Maybe you are doing too much. you can keep goldfish with no equipment at all just a tub and water changes, although you are better off with an airstone in there. That's how I breed mine outdoors just a tub and an airstone, no filter at all. Change water ever 3 -6 days. I didn't think white fly larvae were aquatic. Are you sure that's what it is? Green water = too much light. Dropsy is just a symptom of other problems, parasites, bacterial infection, virus, could be almost anything. If you cure a dropsy fish with medication you probably just got lucky. Euthanasia is the most humane course of action. A fish with dropsy will probably never recover fully and given the likelyhood of it surviving in the first place its better just to euthanize. Maybe your tap water has something odd in it. Or maybe your filter has something in it. You could try getting a sponge filter, they are very cheap and work very well. I would hate to see anyone give up the goldfish hobby. Maybe get some $0.10 feeder goldfish to restart your tank before giving a go with the fancys.
Sorry they're called midge flies. I keep calling them white flies bc of their appearance. The adults get under my aquarium lights. I tried to have my goldfish outside for a couple months with the same filter I've been using for a couple years. The water was so green I couldn't see the fish. When I brought them inside the green water continued :( I think this filter is the root of the evil. I've been in 3 different houses so I don't think it's the water. I just finished my flukes treatment and like a week later 2 fish died and one has dropsy. They were doing great and I thought finally. My water parameters have been correct... Ugh. Usually all the fish who have gotten dropsy make it with the metro meds but eventually get it again and then die. I've lost fish to constipation issues after trying different foods and soaking them and feeding peas, using repashy. I finally made fish food and the fish start dying on me. I can't win lol. Maybe putting some tubs with bog filters and feeders will be my best bet.