New fish going to do it right this time

Hi

For my birthday my mom took me to the lfs to get a new goldie :D we went to several looking for one that both looked healthy and caprured my heart. we came home with a little red cap oranda:wub:. due to my last new fish bringing sickness to my tank even after I qt him (he eventually passed along with another one of my fish). I want to post a qt thread here in hopes that that does not happen again.

My little red cap is in a 5 gallon qt tank ( I can change the size to a 29 gallon but my fish is barely an inch long and a 29 gallon would be huge for him as well as the five gallon is easy to do 80% water changes on and uses less medication) I have not added salt or prazi yet.

And now drum roll please.....

image_zpsqkbqom4p.jpeg

image-3_zpsapwt4w5j.jpeg

He/she seems very healthy but so did the last fish. Any help is apreceated.

A very cute fishy!

Just in case you need a refresher on how to QT, I offer you this article by Tithra. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/water-quality-articles/goldfish-quarantine-procedure-r503

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have. There's no such thing as a silly question, apart from the one that isn't asked. :)

Edited by yafashelli

Congats on the new fish, and on wanting to start off with him on a better foot! :D

Good luck, I hope QT runs very smoothly. :)

congrats! :)

for the time being, I would start with salt only first, and raise it stepwise from 0.1% to 0.3% in 12 hour increments. Keep the salt at 0.3% for 2 weeks, and then we treat for flukes. The salt is for de-stressing and for combating many other external parasites. :)

for the time being, I would start with salt only first, and raise it stepwise from 0.1% to 0.3% in 12 hour increments. Keep the salt at 0.3% for 2 weeks, and then we treat for flukes. The salt is for de-stressing and for combating many other external parasites. :)

Ok thanks i will do just that

He's the microbe guru! :hug