Looking for help for a sickly ranchu

MadMooCow

Dancing banana is definitely my favourite emoticon, by a long way. :nana

Update:

75% WC, salt still at 0.1%, all three fish were salt dipped and I've added the prazi to start round 4.

Ranchu's continuing to lose the black, and every one is looking good. I'm sure I'll be reporting back with the 24-48 hour mopes and cellulose poos in a day or two. Haha!

What's the next step from here? Do I do another WC with salt on Thursday (to end round 4)?

I'm sure they'll be happy when the salt dips are over! :lol3

Thank you so much for all your help. I, and my fish, certainly appreciate it. :)

Edited by MadMooCow

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nana

I've got a worrying update.

Over the past couple of days, I've been seeing some redness creeping back onto the ranchu by its pectoral fins. Yesterday it did have some excess slime coat, but it seems to have disappeared now. Its doubly worrying, since its started happening when there was prazi in the tank for round 4. Its acting normal so far, and I'm not noticing any fin clamping, but I've not seen the ranchu react in anyway to the prazi.

I've been following the treatment schedule to the letter, save for last week when I had to delay it one day (but I wouldn't have thought that at this point, it wouldn't have made a difference??). I hope that me stirring up (and removing) the substrate hasn't caused it to get worse somehow.

I'm thinking that I might need to do more rounds of prazi treatment (I'll need to get more tablets)? What I'm worried about, is that this started when there was prazi in the tank. :yikes I hope this doesn't mean there's some kind of resistance developing (I might me paranoid though, we were talking about weeds developing resistances to herbicides in class lately, so its been on my mind during treatment).

I waited a couple of days to post this, just incase it cleared up as the prazi took effect, but it hasn't seemed to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will you post some pics for me?

We have in the past gone out to 6 rounds of prazi, so that is feasible. I may ask you to double the dose of the next round.

Hang in there, and don't panic! :hug

I'm not panicking just yet, but it is very disheartening, especially since it seemed like we were so close to fixing it.

I did my best with the photos, they are still pretty terrible though (they'd come out better if the fish didn't move!). Hopefully they give you enough detail. I'll keep trying if I need to.

I'm linking for size, again. :)

http://i57.tinypic.com/2yobwaq.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2q21d1c.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/or05l2.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/1sgm4j.jpg

It really does look like what it did last time, just less of it, which is a good thing, I guess. It is worse on one side, and I tried to get photos of that side. There one small spot on the other, but I've got little to no chance of getting a decent photo of that.

Oh, and please don't mind the algae. The fish seem to like pecking at it and its not all over the place. The tank is otherwise clean though.

I played around with the camera again and had another go at getting some photos of the fish.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2v8jubm.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/mk8ahv.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/i1cmyc.jpg

Not sure if they are any better. I think they are, but it could be my imagination. Haha.

Ok, ranchu's looking a little better since last night. Still some red, but there seems to be less of it.

Anyway, I'll be picking up some more prazi today. They'll be getting another 75% WC with salt tomorrow, and round 5 (double dose) is due to start on Sunday, assuming I am to stick to the same schedule.

Should I continue with the salt dips on prazi day?

Awesome. Fish will be happy about that! :D Am I also keeping the 0.1% salt in the tank?

Perhaps I was being a bit twitchy about the Ranchu. Its looking a lot better than it was last night, I wonder what caused it to flare up suddenly, then start to disappear on its own like that. Anyway, I've got a lot of prazi now, so we're all good for the double dose and then some. :D

I've just finished the WC for today, including adding the salt. Still, I might keep it in for the double dose of prazi, and discontinue it after that, assuming all goes well. I mean, I've still got salt, so I might as well use it, and if it won't hurt, why not.

Everyone's looking really well, the redness looks like its pretty much gone now. I wonder what caused that flare up like that. The black is more or less completely gone now too.

Thank you so much for the help. :)

I've just realised something. When it was first suggested that I use the prazi, it was recommended at a dose rate of 2.5mg/L (or 5 tablets for 200L), the bottle recommends using double that (10 tablets for 200L) as a normal dose which is was I've been following, with each tablet containing 100mg of prazi.

Is doubling that dose (20 tablets for 200L) ok? My understanding is that prazi is fairly gentle (I've read as such on Koko's), but I just want to double check that using this dose rate is still safe for the fish and filters.

Otherwise, everyone is looking really well. Ranchu's only got a tiny bit of black left on the tip of its tail now. Everyone's looking and behaving well. :)

I've just realised something. When it was first suggested that I use the prazi, it was recommended at a dose rate of 2.5mg/L (or 5 tablets for 200L), the bottle recommends using double that (10 tablets for 200L) as a normal dose which is was I've been following, with each tablet containing 100mg of prazi.

Is doubling that dose (20 tablets for 200L) ok? My understanding is that prazi is fairly gentle (I've read as such on Koko's), but I just want to double check that using this dose rate is still safe for the fish and filters.

Otherwise, everyone is looking really well. Ranchu's only got a tiny bit of black left on the tip of its tail now. Everyone's looking and behaving well. :)

One of the reasons why Prazi is considered safe/gentle, and OK to use prophylactically is that even with 10x the dosage, the fish should be OK, although of course that should not be done. :)

Doubling the dosage is done quite often, should not pose any problems. Prazi doesn't really have much of an effect on the fish, and acts more directly on the parasites.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info! :)

Sorry if I come across as though I'm doubting when I ask questions like that. I'm really not. I just like to know / make sure what I'm doing is right before I do something potentially stupid.

I've been meaning to ask if you had any goldfish info book recommendations? I might be interested in seeing if I can get a few good ones, on medical stuff as well as general care / info. I could look it up, but I don't know what's good and what's not.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info! :)

Sorry if I come across as though I'm doubting when I ask questions like that. I'm really not. I just like to know / make sure what I'm doing is right before I do something potentially stupid.

I've been meaning to ask if you had any goldfish info book recommendations? I might be interested in seeing if I can get a few good ones, on medical stuff as well as general care / info. I could look it up, but I don't know what's good and what's not.

Hello :)

You didn't come across as doubting, and even if you were, as long as we are having a healthy discussion, it's totally good. :)

I am not one to insist that people just listen to me :rofl

There are two books that I recommend. The first is Johnson & Hess' Fancy Goldfish, and the second is Edward Noga's Fish Disease book :)

Thank you both for the recommendations! I'll have to see if my Uni's library has the Fish Disease book when classes start back after Easter, I don't have high hopes there, but they might, they do teach animal sciences there. When I get payed next, I might pick up the Fancy Goldfish one.

dnalex: Conversation's always good! Still, I just wanted to make sure you knew that I wasn't being weird or anything! :rofl

Ok, that's another 75% WC down, they are still at 0.1% salt, no salt dips this time, and are currently enjoying a double dose of prazi. Do you predict that they'll need another round after this one (assuming that no one has any random flare ups again)?

I'll keep this thread updated with any reactions (or lack there of).

Its been a few days since the double dose went in, and I didn't see any reaction to it from the fish at all, aside from eating the cellulose (naturally).

An interesting thing has come of this round though. I knew they were going to eat the cellulose, and since there was double the amounts and that it seemed to back them up a bit, I fed them peas the following morning to help keep things running... uh.. perhaps that's not the best word... :lol

My fantail is prone to pipping (air gulping? I think that's the right word?), it seemed to do it very frequently despite my attempts to prevent it (no floating foods, and I soak all pellets before feeding). I'd assumed it was a habit (I didn't take it as a symptom of illness, as I figured it would have developed other symptoms long before now). After feeding them peas, it seems to have stopped, or at least significantly reduced the amount of time it spends doing it. Which means its not a habit and is food related.

I'm thinking I might order Repashy Soilent Green when TastyWorms gets it back in stock. Hopefully the higher amount of plant-based ingredients in SG will stop the behaviour, or at least reduce it. Fantail wasn't floating, and didn't seem to have any issues otherwise, but the tank is in the middle of the house, and it doesn't look good to have a fish hanging out at the surface like that, and I don't want it to develop problems either because of it either.

So, with the treatment from here, I'm going to give them another 75% WC tomorrow, but I don't think I'll add the salt anymore. Do you think that they'll need another round of prazi? Judging from how they are now, I'm thinking not, with another round in a month or so, but I'm happy to go with another recommendation.

:nana

Thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it. :)

I've read great things about it. I've been wanting to try it for a while too, so I'm quite looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a great thread! It sounds like what I'm going through at the moment with one of my bubble eyes. I just ordered some Prazi and I hope that fixes the problems with my babies. It should get here this week. I'm so glad your fish are doing better. :)