A Nice Guide To Common Fish Diseases

JordanWong1998

I did a little bit of some research and ended up finding this, I thought I would share this as this looks like a nice little guide, and also provides ways to treat them. Here you go!

http://www.tetra-fish.com/aquarium-information/aquarium-fish-diseases-how-to-spot-them.aspx

I would like to add that while the pictures can be helpful to see, some of the treatments offered are not how we do things, here at Koko's. A fish showing any signs of distress should have a thorough D&D thread posted, and we'll custom make a safe treatment plan, which will give your finned friend the best chance to thrive.

Jordan, I went ahead and moved this to the "alternative" section of the forum, although the admins may choose to delete it at a later date.

We are not here to promote Tetra products only, and while they correctly identified the disease etiology most of the time, they do not always suggest the appropriate meds or the appropriate duration of treatment.

Here are some patently alarming issues:

1. Using Tetra Fungus Guard for dropsy. We all know from years of experience that metronidazole, Baytril, and certain of the Maracyn products may be helpful (in that order). However, because Tetra sells none of these products, they don't even get mentioned.

2. Flukes treatment only requires praziquantel, and not metronidazole. Again, because Tetra markets the Parasite Guard, they want you to use other meds unnecessarily. Moreover, their treatment protocol is not long enough, according to the fish pathology books.

So, as yafashelli said, the pics are nice (and the reason why I did not elect to remove the thread), but the treatments are very Tetra-centric, and not centered on helping the fish.

• Supporter

we do not recommend aquarium salt for Dropsy. and this can come from several influences. not just 'untidy aquarium conditions'....

the thread is a salesman selling his products. just like walking into an LFS and walking away with 15 fish in a bowl. :no:

Also, to give you a real reference of how poor the use of antibiotics unnecessarily is:

PetCo no longer sells medications for fish at all. They call it "Going Blue" and it is sweeping through all of the stores. This is because the antibiotics have been overused, creating resistant bacteria that are much much harder to treat when they do attack a fish. Using antibiotics where they aren't needed is actually so problematic that it has come to the attention of big chain stores... you know that's gotta be bad.

Aw, I tried to help at least. But thank you for the information!

Don't feel badly.

I appreciate your efforts, and just wanted to make sure you didn't have to buy things unnecessarily. :)

Was a nice thought though :)

'

Thank you KoKo. :D Do you have any pictures of what your tank looks like? As well as your Goldfish?

Don't feel badly.

I appreciate your efforts, and just wanted to make sure you didn't have to buy things unnecessarily. :)

Thank you for the tip! :P

Also, to give you a real reference of how poor the use of antibiotics unnecessarily is:

PetCo no longer sells medications for fish at all. They call it "Going Blue" and it is sweeping through all of the stores. This is because the antibiotics have been overused, creating resistant bacteria that are much much harder to treat when they do attack a fish. Using antibiotics where they aren't needed is actually so problematic that it has come to the attention of big chain stores... you know that's gotta be bad.

I never knew that, that is something that has now come to my attention! :thumb:

I don't generally say it out loud - but there are very few fish symptoms I would consider treating with antibiotics. Not because I don't love my fish - but because the chances of success treating some maladies are slim and the dangers of antibiotic resistance real.

I don't generally say it out loud - but there are very few fish symptoms I would consider treating with antibiotics. Not because I don't love my fish - but because the chances of success treating some maladies are slim and the dangers of antibiotic resistance real.

I agree 100%, Susanne. This is also the reason why I don't endorse this idea of constantly trying to new and better meds. What we have already are quite good, and medicinal restraint is really needed.