IS this ICH and how do i treat it. 3 fish have it one does not. !

zapirk

20140314_204858_zps566def19.jpg

i have a 10 or 29gal hospital tank if i need to take out the one that is not affected. they are Fancy gold fish and had no signs of illness till tonight. so far no symptoms b ut the white spots.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mods are going to want you to fill out the info at the top of this form :)

:please

I hope your fish feels better!

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0.5

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) <10

* Ammonia Level(Tap)0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)<10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)PH high 8.8 (normaly 7.4 - 7.6)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)PH 7.6

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API master kit drops

* Water temperature? 70

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 Gal, ben up for 2 weeks moved over filter from 29gal

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 200 (from the 29 gal taht was fully cycled) API NEXX canester filter New 2 weeks uses carbon filters

* How often do you change the water and how much? experianced a ammonia bump after move to 60 Gal so 50% water change 1 -2 times a week 25% 1-2 times a week.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?Thursday 60% due to ammonia of >0.5 <1.0

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 Fancy orondas. 2 are 3-4inch. one is <2inch another is 1 inch all to tail.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often?once Q night. on MWF , 2 small feedings on Tuesday thursdays

* Any new fish added to the tank? 2 small ones > 1 week ago

* Any medications added to the tank? NO. but i do have the Ich Med

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. NONE ever.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? shiney white sparkels on tails. 1 fish back fins look torn saw one fish one night nipping at him.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? all still active !!!. one fish does not have white spots.

Thanks for filling out the form.

It does look like ich to me. I would treat them in the main tank with salt (either aquarium or canning and pickling salt, no additives) at 0.3%. Treat them all as its probably only a matter of time before it shows up on the other one. Leave the salt in there for about 2 weeks AFTER you see the last of the ich.

Let us know if you have further questions. :)

so dont use the Ich med i have from when i had troipicals years ago. does Sea salt count and what do u mean by 0.3% and should i do a % w/C prior to doing the salt tonight

:fishtank

70 f

A WC wouldn't hurt to get the ammonia down. :D

Don't use the ich med. Salt is all you need. Sea salt should be fine. That is a coarser salt, yes? Not fine like regular table salt?

You can raise your salinity in 2 ways: 0.1% every 12 hours 3 times or 0.3% all at once.

To raise salinity 0.1%, you use 1 tsp per gallon. So for your tank, you'd use 60 tsp. (20 TBSP). You can put that in the toe end of a pantyhose if you have any and toss it over the edge of the tank to dissolve. If you don't have any pantyhose, put the salt in some tank water and stir and stir and stir til it's all dissolved then add it to your tank.

If you'd like to add it all at once, add 60 TBSP (either using pantyhose or dissolve it first).

Do you have any substrate or plants in your tank?

70* should be fine for this. :D

Please remove the carbon from your filter.

if i remove the carbon from the Nexx this there is no filtration what so ever besides the biostars. i have gravel substrate wich i was plan on going bare bottom after the ammoina bump was done but now i might do it while treating the ich. no plants just fake

Are biostars your biological media I"m assuming? To be honest, I don't use carbon at all and many members here don't. You need to replace it every 3-4 weeks. You might wnat to look into replacing it with some filter padding instead . . . :idont

No plants is good in this case cuz some are sensitive to it. :D

Perhaps you could remove the gravel slowly as it might cause a bit of a cycle bump if you remove it all at once. Try maybe 1/4-1/3 each week? Or if you remove it all at once just keep your eye on your ammonia and nitrites.

this seems like alot of salt.

Did you measure out for 0.1% or 0.3%?

Taking into account the gravel and other decorations, you can go with 3 TBSP per 10 gal for 0.1%, so 18 TBSP. Or if you're going to 0.3% all at once, it's 9 TBSP per 10 gallons, or 54 TBSP.

Is sea salt coarse or fine? :idont Cuz that will change it also.

Edit: It looks to be on the coarse side . . .

Edited by fantailfan1

I would recommend getting a kitchen scale and weighing the salt. The teaspoons system is an approximation, and no matter how good, just doesn't compare to exact.

funny i was just reading the thread on weighing salt and came back to this to see you mention it. lol once again thanks for the advice i will try to update this thread with any changes. should i have the light off like i would if using the medication >?

The Salt i have is 6g per tsp

It seems to be getting worse on the one from the photo. is this a case of ich gets worse before it gets better? they are all still acting normal and interested in food and swimming. i am at 0.3% salt and temp is around 72f.