Sign in to follow this  
TikiLola

Several tanks or 1 big tank?

Seems like a lot of people on here have several tanks. Probably because of upgrades? BUT if you had to do it all over again, do you think it would be easier to start out with one big tank? What I'm thinking is two 55 gallon tanks vs. one 100 or 120 gallon. In theory it seems one big tank would simplify cleaning/upkeep, but I dunno. What do y'all think? Does anyone here have 100 gallon tanks? Would 2 large Aquaclears and a couple air stones be enough filtration for such a big tank? Canisters probably would be better, but could HOB work? I'm thinking 3 ranchus and 3 orandas. :hide:

Where does one get a 100 gallon tank anyway?

Petco only goes up to 55 gallon, so no help with their dollar a gallon sale.;)

Alex has a 100 gallon AND a 55 gallon. :rofl

I prefer one tank, but not too big that it's overwhelming to clean it. :D And just what size that is will be different for everyone. :D

I have 4 tanks set up right now in order to support my addiction :teehee

I'd love a loooooooooooooooooong biiiiiiiiiig tank :nana BUT your floor has to be able to support it. I think huge tanks are soooo striking :heart I also don't have a python because my sink won't accommodate one :(

You'd need more than a couple AC HOBs for a 100gal in order to have 10x filtration. I have a AC100and AC70 in my little 55gal

I'm unsure where one would get one :hmm CL or online

I'm gonna enjoy this topic, I can tell :)

I know quite a few people here who have had large tanks like that and disliked them. I don't think it would simplify cleanup at all, as the tank would be massive. Lots more surface to scrub at once! But it all depends on how you clean I guess.

Remember filtration has to be 10x the tank's volume per hour for HOB filters, so you would need 1000 gph of filtration. Canisters can go between 5x and 7x, so would require less filtration. Depending on your filters that could cost more or less.

2 AC 110s would give you 1000 gph. That should be sufficient assuming she's not overstocked. :D

2 AC 110s would give you 1000 gph. That should be sufficient assuming she's not overstocked. :D

This is good news! :)

At the minute I have 3 goldfish tanks running (soon to be 4). I personally would prefer one tank, which is why I plan to upgrade soon to one big tank for all of my fish. I do understand why people may prefer a number of smaller tanks, but for me, one would be better

I only have 1 GF Tank and I prefer to have all my goldies together, If I could start again I'd start with a big tank so I didn't have to upgrade so often :P (I'm still planning on eventually another upgrade, but that will be the last since I couldn't fit something much bigger)

I was thinking that it would be easier to clean one big tank than 2 or 3 smaller tanks. If you clean them on different days, then it would feel time consuming for the bigger tank, but if you clean all 3 in one day, then, it's possible that the big tank would take less time, no?

I have an 80 and a 40. While having one big tank would be nice and probably, I like enjoying my fish in my different rooms :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here!!! :rofl

I had a 125. It was too much for me. It took too long to clean and I HATED the canister filters. I may have liked it more if I had stuck with HOB's. But the time involved with maintaining it properly was really the biggest downside.

Personally I would like 2 moderate sized tanks (55-75) that I could clean on different days if I needed to if I wanted more fish.

All that being said, if you have the time (my 125 took 2 + hours) and your home can support the weight that size tank it is doable. My life is just too busy with husband, kids, showing dogs, needy cat, bearded dragon, job, needing to have a life to have that size tank :)

I had a 150G tank and I loved it and miss it still. I currently have a 55 and a 40B. I am planning to consolidate those two into a 125 in the fall. I think multiple smaller tanks (55,40) are good to start with while you are learning how to take care of fish and learning what kinds of fish you enjoy the most. I have changed fish/tank types so many times it is hard to count. I am now settled on keeping just goldfish for the rest of my fishkeeping days and will upgrade to one big tank to have as more of a show tank.

I am enjoying my 3 tanks (29g / 40g / 60g) and I usually clean the two in the family room at the same time. Usually takes around 1 1/2 -- 2 hours if I clean everything except the filters, which I rotate doing every other month. I keep track of the date each filter is cleaned by taping the date on the filter. The tank in the bedroom gets done on a different day unless I am unusually energetic.

I would still enjoy a very large tank. My floor can support it but I'm not sure where I would put it. I'd have to remove a bookcase.

If I ever get one over 100g I will probably remove one of the smaller tanks.

Personally I would prefer to clean one big tank. It's a practicality thing. Back in my heyday I was cleaning 2 tanks and patio pond. I probably could have done everything in one day, but I would space things out over a week. It's a mental thing for me. If you have one tank, you only have one tank to clean no matter how large, but with multiples, I felt like I was always cleaning something.

I suppose at the end of the day though, no matter what you choose, the cleaning is inescapable. :rofl

Edited by dan in aus

Personally I would prefer to clean one big tank. It's a practicality thing. Back in my heyday I was cleaning 2 tanks and patio pond. I probably could have done everything in one day, but I would space things out over a week. It's a mental thing for me. If you have one tank, you only have one tank to clean no matter how large, but with multiples, I felt like I was always cleaning something.

I suppose at the end of the day though, no matter what you choose, the cleaning is inescapable. :rofl

This. :lol2

One big tank is much preferable to several smaller tanks. :)

I got my 100 gallon (and stand) at a local fish store here.

Infrastructure and cost of the extra things played into my decision to move from a 250 litre to the 144. Cleaning was an increased burden but larger tanks also require more expensive extras while supplies (stands, lights, filters, etc) for smaller tanks are often available used and inexpensively.