Aquarium Decorating Help?

I've posted a few forum posts already, and some of you may know me and how I love to rearrange my aquarium decor. So basically all I'm asking are tips on basic aquascaping and what decor I should get. I'm trying to go for a more natural feel. If you have any ideas on fake plants, decor and other things, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

:hi

First off, I love having sand in goldfish tanks. They seem to do well with sand, it's easy to forage in for them, and looks very beautiful to me. Barebottom can be equally as beautiful, it just depends on your preference. :)

Are you open to live plants? They can be very rewarding and add a marvelous touch to your aquascape. I recommend hardy, beginner plants such as anubias, moss balls, and java fern. Both anubias and java fern prefer to be glued or attached to rocks. In my experience, anubias are pretty much impossible to kill unless you set them on fire. :rofl3

A nice, big piece of driftwood can really stand out as a centerpiece of your tank, and you can attach plants to it as well. It's a bit tricky to get it aquarium-ready, because you have to boil it to release the tannins it leaches out that lowers pH. Afterwards, it's best to soak it in a bucket of water for a few weeks, adding fresh water daily.

Keep lurking around the forum and you'll find some excellent aquascapes from other members! :thumb:

If you are going with artificial plants I suggest silk. In my opinion they are more realistic looking underwater and safer for your fish to swim around :) I have a nice natural color medium sized pebble gravel on the bottom of a couple of my tanks and I think it looks great. A couple of safely placed river rocks will add to the 'natural look' as well. I also have a small branch (boiled & leeched of tanins) in one of my tanks. Company always comment on how good that looks when they see it.

edit: just wanted to add that the branch was found in a river. (truckee river, N.California) :)

Edited by Mrs. Kay

Aquascaping, much like all design and judgements of taste, is primarily subjective. Design something first and foremost that will enhance your degree of pleasure. :)

There are a few rules to keep in mind when dealing with hardscape and plants, but they can be tweaked to a certain extent. Odd numbers of stone appear more natural and less systematically put in place—even though placing hardscape in odd numbers can be quite challenging. Plants are fairly simple. Just remember tall in the back, shorter in the front. As much as I'm fond of the whole overgrown jungle thing, don't be afraid to use open space either, especially in a goldfish tank. Having one main focal point often helps too. From there you can design outwards and take the eye where you please.

If you want to know some of the more legitimately established rules of aquascaping; for example, Dutch layouts, Iwagumi, Nature Aquariums, etc, let me know and I'll link some articles.

Aquascaping, much like all design and judgements of taste, is primarily subjective. Design something first and foremost that will enhance your degree of pleasure. :)

There are a few rules to keep in mind when dealing with hardscape and plants, but they can be tweaked to a certain extent. Odd numbers of stone appear more natural and less systematically put in place—even though placing hardscape in odd numbers can be quite challenging. Plants are fairly simple. Just remember tall in the back, shorter in the front. As much as I'm fond of the whole overgrown jungle thing, don't be afraid to use open space either, especially in a goldfish tank. Having one main focal point often helps too. From there you can design outwards and take the eye where you please.

If you want to know some of the more legitimately established rules of aquascaping; for example, Dutch layouts, Iwagumi, Nature Aquariums, etc, let me know and I'll link some articles.

I would love to see the articles, thank you! :)

Edited by JordanWong1998

Iwagumi and Nature Design.

http://www.jgarden.org/rothteien/philosophy.htm

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/tips-techniques/iwagumi-aquascapes-introduction

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/tips-techniques/aquatic-layout-guide-rules-composition-the-golden-ratio-creating-perspectiv

Dutch.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/crash-course-dutch-style-aquascaping.8713/

You may ask why I linked an article to the philosophy of Japanese gardening? Believe me, I was skeptical at first when I saw it mentioned on the Barr Report, but it makes a lot of sense. It provides an understanding of Japanese gardening, which is rather harmonious. Considering nature designs emanated from Amano, it only makes sense to have some sort of cultural understanding.

You may ask why I linked an article to the philosophy of Japanese gardening? Believe me, I was skeptical at first when I saw it mentioned on the Barr Report, but it makes a lot of sense. It provides an understanding of Japanese gardening, which is rather harmonious. Considering nature designs emanated from Amano, it only makes sense to have some sort of cultural understanding.

The funny part is that I'm actually Chinese and I do know a lot about the modern culture. I am very close with my Chinese relatives that live in Boston, and I have been to Chinatown many times! :) Chinese and Japanese are totally different. I know that. But they are the same Asian ethnic so I will have a some what understanding. Thanks for the article!

:Beware::goodpost