Sign in to follow this  
FredTheGoldfish

I can't find any healthy goldfish to buy!

I hope this is the right thread for my post. (Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.)

Since Grace, my 1-year-old oranda, passed away, I've been visiting the local pet stores to find a new tank-mate for Lucy, my little red cap.

I'm having very bad luck finding healthy goldfish. (Actually the goldfish are having much worse luck than I am.)

At our local PetSmart, where I've bought my other fish, I asked my favorite fish-expert about their black moors. She pointed out the blue water in the goldfish tanks because she's treating all the tanks with medicine right now. The current shipment of black moors are mysteriously dying off. She recommended that I come back in a few weeks to see which fish survived. Great.

Next, I checked out our local PetCo, and found a similar problem. They had a large QT tank full of mature goldfish of all types, either dead in the corner or bottom sitting. A note beside the tank said "not for sale, under observation." There were other smaller goldfish tanks in the store, but the 3 goldfish in them were all bottom sitting and looking forlorn.

Interestingly, at the same PetCo, there was another large tank full of beautiful and healthy-looking young comets. Unfortunately, these comets wouldn't be good tank mates for Lucy, and I don't have a tank big enough for them, anyways. It's ironic that their "feeder tank" had the healthiest fish in the store.

So, should I just buy a black moor from PetSmart in a week or two, and hope for the best?

Well, in bird keeping, we always say patience is key. I'm thinking it is in GF keeping as well.;) Hold out if you can, sounds like you will be in for more heart break if you jump the gun. :(

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience finding a new fish. :(

Honestly, if your local Petco\Petsmarts are having recurring issues of sick fish, I would not buy from them. You may risk the chance of infecting your current stock through cross-contamination. Not only this, but if you notice the aquatics associates are generally ignorant to their fish, I would not support them through purchasing their fish.

Do you have any reputable local fish stores in your area?

Are you open to buying a goldfish online?

Well, in bird keeping, we always say patience is key. I'm thinking it is in GF keeping as well. ;) Hold out if you can, sounds like you will be in for more heart break if you jump the gun. :(

Very good advice, thanks. I just hope the situation will improve.

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience finding a new fish. :(

Honestly, if your local Petco\Petsmarts are having recurring issues of sick fish, I would not buy from them. You may risk the chance of infecting your current stock through cross-contamination. Not only this, but if you notice the aquatics associates are generally ignorant to their fish, I would not support them through purchasing their fish.

Do you have any reputable local fish stores in your area?

Are you open to buying a goldfish online?

Thanks, Georgia. :)

I haven't discovered any good fish store other than the big chains. There are a few local "pet stores" but they either don't carry goldfish (other than as feeder fish) or don't take care of their fish (extremely small, overcrowded tanks with beat-up fish inside.)

I buy from our local PetSmart because one of the employees is a goldfish expert and cares about the fish. Unfortunately, she can't fix all the problems there, but at least she tries.

I agree that I wouldn't support any store that doesn't take care of their fish. I won't go back to that PetCo. The images of their horrific QT tank will stick with me for a long time...

I looked online (at Rain Garden), but their fish seem to be huge/mature fish that are much bigger than (incompatible in size with?) Lucy. And also very expensive.

Maybe I should just stick with Lucy for now.

I completely understand. Good luck to you! :)

I completely understand. Good luck to you! :)

Thanks.

I sent you a message :)

Got it, thanks! I sent a reply back to you. :)

I thought that Daniel E (Floyd) might have been looking to rehome a fish. Maybe it might be worth it to see if he's still "fishing" for someone. :)

I would not buy a fish from any of those places. :(:no:

Edited by yafashelli

The one I have right now is a watonia. She is decent size and recently been through a few roynds of parzi for fluke prevention. She has been laying eggs. I have one fry from her.

All I am asking is for the shipping cost. I got her from Rain Garden. 9yga5u6e.jpg

IMG_20140119_094038_zps7a0718c7.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Why are you letting her go, Daniel?

I thought that Daniel E (Floyd) might have been looking to rehome a fish. Maybe it might be worth it to see if he's still "fishing" for someone. :)

I would not buy a fish from any of those places. :(:no:

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

The one I have right now is a watonia. She is decent size and recently been through a few roynds of parzi for fluke prevention. She has been laying eggs. I have one fry from her.

All I am asking is for the shipping cost. I got her from Rain Garden. 9yga5u6e.jpg

IMG_20140119_094038_zps7a0718c7.jpg

Wow, that is a gorgeous fish! :wub:

Unfortunately, my little red cap, Lucy, wouldn't be able to keep up with her, so I don't think they'd be good tank mates. :(

I hope you find a good home for her, though, she's so beautiful...

Thank you so much for the offer.

Edited by FredTheGoldfish

Why do you think Lucy would not be a good tank mate to anyone long-bodied? Orandas do just fine with any type of goldfish. You need not limit yourself.

I had one of the fish Daniel has, probably a sibling from a prior spawn, who was the slowest fish I had. Elvis' tail was like dragging around a wet blanket because of the length.

She is as slow as my butterfly teles. But im not going to push my fish on you lol. I will be glad to ship her to you if thats what you want though.

Why do you think Lucy would not be a good tank mate to anyone long-bodied? Orandas do just fine with any type of goldfish. You need not limit yourself.

I had one of the fish Daniel has, probably a sibling from a prior spawn, who was the slowest fish I had. Elvis' tail was like dragging around a wet blanket because of the length.

She is as slow as my butterfly teles. But im not going to push my fish on you lol. I will be glad to ship her to you if thats what you want though.

Oh, I assumed a long-bodied goldfish would be much faster than Lucy.

Also, wouldn't my 29 gallon tank be too small for her?

I wouldn't bet on any fish being faster than any other except on a fish-by-fish basis. I can tell you right now that Tsumo is actually much faster than Valentino, my tomasaba, when food is on the way. And that is from actually timing them. :o Tsumo will break the 1 second mark sometimes when I call his name for dinner! :teehee

The 29 may be small, but it would be something Daniel might need to decide.

Have you thought of keeping Lucy by herself? Or upgrading?

She is pretty good size. Idk how long a 29 would last her tbh. I also think she will be a rather large fish one day.

I wouldn't bet on any fish being faster than any other except on a fish-by-fish basis. I can tell you right now that Tsumo is actually much faster than Valentino, my tomasaba, when food is on the way. And that is from actually timing them. :o Tsumo will break the 1 second mark sometimes when I call his name for dinner! :teehee

You time them? LOL. :teehee

I do know that Lucy is generally a very slow swimmer (she wobbles around with her short tail.) And she's a slow/messy chewer.

Yes, I've thought of keeping Lucy by herself, if I have to.

And yes, I'm open to upgrading from our 29 gallon in the future.

You time them? LOL. :teehee

I do know that Lucy is generally a very slow swimmer (she wobbles around with her short tail.) And she's a slow/messy chewer.

Yes, I've thought of keeping Lucy by herself, if I have to.

And yes, I'm open to upgrading from our 29 gallon in the future.

Right now I am for a project for my Psychology 400 level class at college. :teehee I want to know some base stats for myself.

She sounds like a very cute little one. :heart I bet she'd learn quick to be crafty if necessary.

I hope you're able to find somewhere to buy fish soon! If you're prepared to spend a little bit more money, you could always check out Raingarden or East Coast Ranchu. :D

(I'm going to move this thread out of horror stories for you as it's not really one.)

ichthius has ranchu and i think he may have a few assorted goldfish swimming around, he lives in oregon.his site is goldfish garage.

I hope you're able to find somewhere to buy fish soon! If you're prepared to spend a little bit more money, you could always check out Raingarden or East Coast Ranchu. :D

(I'm going to move this thread out of horror stories for you as it's not really one.)

This thread definitely did improve unexpectedly. Thanks for moving it for me. :)

ichthius has ranchu and i think he may have a few assorted goldfish swimming around, he lives in oregon.his site is goldfish garage.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely looking around at my options. :)

That is a shame about the goldfish in those retail stores. I personally would wait for just the right fish that catches my eye. Maybe worth a drive somewhere else?

My personal choice is to not mix the fancies with the long bodies. Aside from having learned and read this on nearly every aquarium site on the internet, my long bodied fish are extremely faster than my fancies. I have seen one move across the tank in a blink, unlike my fancies. I keep them in separate tanks. I don't believe they would starve to death, but why stress them out at foodtime?

Have fun looking at mates for Lucy :)

That is a tough one. On the one hand it is good that the store is not offering its sick fish for sale, but on the other hand it is not good that they are getting so many sick fish in the first place. Perhaps you could go a little farther out of town for more options? Chain stores vary wildly from city to city. I am lucky enough to have a great Petsmart in my area, but that's probably because ALL the people who work in the fish area are hobbyists.

I have the same issues you have with the local store ... the neglect is so bad that I can't even go in there. There are sick and dead fish everywhere in the tanks and the owner is quite rude and only interested in playing on her cellphone. I am surprised they are still in business; many locals have noticed this and complained about it. :-(

That is a shame about the goldfish in those retail stores. I personally would wait for just the right fish that catches my eye. Maybe worth a drive somewhere else?

My personal choice is to not mix the fancies with the long bodies. Aside from having learned and read this on nearly every aquarium site on the internet, my long bodied fish are extremely faster than my fancies. I have seen one move across the tank in a blink, unlike my fancies. I keep them in separate tanks. I don't believe they would starve to death, but why stress them out at foodtime?

Have fun looking at mates for Lucy :)

Thanks, Mrs. Kay! :)

This morning, we drove into the city to find a really great fish store, and there we found an adorable little black ranchu! It swam right to the front of the tank and begged us to buy it, so we did! Lots of video and photos to come...

:happydance

That is a tough one. On the one hand it is good that the store is not offering its sick fish for sale, but on the other hand it is not good that they are getting so many sick fish in the first place. Perhaps you could go a little farther out of town for more options? Chain stores vary wildly from city to city. I am lucky enough to have a great Petsmart in my area, but that's probably because ALL the people who work in the fish area are hobbyists.

I have the same issues you have with the local store ... the neglect is so bad that I can't even go in there. There are sick and dead fish everywhere in the tanks and the owner is quite rude and only interested in playing on her cellphone. I am surprised they are still in business; many locals have noticed this and complained about it. :-(

Yes, I totally agree with you!

We did end up going out of town, and found a great family-owned pet store with a nice selection of happy-looking goldfish. :)