Video of my 65 Gallon

• Supporter

Lovely tank and your goldies are so cute!!! I have a 65 gallon as well and my tank temp is currently in the 71-74 range. I have one air pump with 2 stones on either side of the tank to aid in additional surface movement... but also because I think it's pretty to look at :D

• Supporter

Thanks amoonklein - how many fish do you have and what is your filtration and wc schedule?

I have 2 goldies in the 65 wiggling around. Right now, I'm still cycling (but almost finished thank goodness) so my water changes are more frequent and dependent on water conditions... but every 5 days at the latest.

Your goldies are beautiful... but I'm especially partial to that gorgeous red/white oranda!!

Beautiful setup :) I think you could do one more if you are perfect about your water changes. Just make sure they are large water changes, I do 80% weekly and sometimes and extra WC midweek if I fed them heavily.

Beautiful. :heart I love all those fins!

What is your WC schedule and how much are you taking with every WC? What are your water parameters? I think 3 is a comfortable number with ~20g per fish. Anything more and your schedule would likely have to change a little. Also since the tank is taller rather than longer they are already taking up that floor space.

I definitely would suggest adding airstones for a taller tank. It will improve the circulation as well as aiding your agitation. :)

I change weekly 30-40% with the current set up. Prime, temp matching.... all the good stuff. I realize I could do more, but this routine has worked for me for quite some time so I am hesitant to change it. If I do add another fish, I will up the %.

I have an air pump and will try set up this weekend, but seems to me like all is well as of now.

thanks.

I change weekly 30-40% with the current set up. Prime, temp matching.... all the good stuff. I realize I could do more, but this routine has worked for me for quite some time so I am hesitant to change it. If I do add another fish, I will up the %.

I have an air pump and will try set up this weekend, but seems to me like all is well as of now.

thanks.

It is usually recommended to do at least a 50-75% change weekly here on Koko's. :) Most of us (Myself included) that have similar tank and tap ph do around 90% or so, draining the tank to around the tops of our fish's spines. This is because of dissolved wastes in the aquarium, which with heavy waste producers like goldfish can be higher than in your average tropical tanks. I know this seems like a lot, but it is totally worth it to give your fish as clean of water as humanly possible as often as possible. I know it has aided in helping my fish reach large proportions very quickly. :)

I can't wait to see more videos of these guys on here. I really enjoy them.

Thanks - appreciate that more is better, but I live in Canada and with winter, tap water is extremely cold so temperature matching is very difficult. I don't like to use hot tap water and instead use boiling water to match as best I can. With 30-50% this is doable, but anything greater and it is quite tough. Summers are of course easier and I usually do more.

I have to ask a salt questions please:

I used to use API aquarium salt, which comes in the form of "full", un-ground granules. For that, I know the measurement is 1 teaspoon per gallon to achieve 0.1% and so on...

Another form of aquarium salt I found is fully ground ie: fine like table salt. What is the measurement (table or teaspoon count) for fully ground salt to achieve 0.1%? thanks.