I've crossed the dark side....

Georgia

The sandy side, that is! :D

Yes, yes, my Koko friends, it is true, I am no longer a sand virgin. :rofl3

I added Caribsea Super Naturals sand to the tank a yesterday, and it's finally clear. :nana It's a bit of a darker tan. My mom kept complaining my tank was looking "plain" and I was making her house look ugly ( :rofl), so I decided to change it up a bit.

The fish are doing great! Lots of foraging and sand being blown out of their gills.

Okay enough of my yapping; here's some PICS!

DSC_1143_zps1c2fe46c.jpg

The tank is still looking a bit plain, I'm still looking for the perfect piece of driftwood as my centerpiece.

DSC_1177_zps2648b150.jpg

DSC_1170_zps4d24ece3.jpg

DSC_1162_zpsc5a2198c.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy! Bet the fish love it.

There are a lot of things that can be planted in sand . . . just so you know . . .

:D

Nice sand =]

If you have a petco or petsmart, check there for mopani drift wood in the reptile section.

Its awesome hard wood that sinks and has nice color to it. It will stain your water, so boiling/ soaking is recommended.

I think petsmart is cheaper than petco though when it comes to the mopani =]

Sometimes its good to sand down the sharper edges. but since you have single tails it might not matter since they are a tad more agile...my fish are the most clumsy fish ever.

They also tend to have nice little nooks and crannies to stick moss and anubias in too.

I have a beautiful piece that i used to keep in my tank, its huge, i had it covered in anubias and java fern.

My goldfish got to big and i had to tank it out, they kept trying to fit behind it.

When i get a bigger tank than my fifty five i will use it again!

I love it! I can't wait till that beautiful driftwood piece walks into your life :D You're tank is going to look bomb when you're done!!

All these barebottoms are being covered and I just exposed mine :peeka I'm never with the trends :P

Aww thank you everyone!

Nice sand =]

If you have a petco or petsmart, check there for mopani drift wood in the reptile section.

Its awesome hard wood that sinks and has nice color to it. It will stain your water, so boiling/ soaking is recommended.

I think petsmart is cheaper than petco though when it comes to the mopani =]

Sometimes its good to sand down the sharper edges. but since you have single tails it might not matter since they are a tad more agile...my fish are the most clumsy fish ever.

They also tend to have nice little nooks and crannies to stick moss and anubias in too.

I have a beautiful piece that i used to keep in my tank, its huge, i had it covered in anubias and java fern.

My goldfish got to big and i had to tank it out, they kept trying to fit behind it.

When i get a bigger tank than my fifty five i will use it again!

I did look at their wood when I was there! My parents dropped me off there for like 2 hours when they went shopping so I loitered a bit. :rofl There was some beautiful grapewood pieces, but I recall reading somewhere they were toxic to aquarium fish. I'll have to look around next time.

If you have any pictures of your tank to direct me to, I'd love to get some inspiration!

I really like it!

How many pounds did you use? My 40b has about thirty. Do you know the shade?

Around 15ish.

I believe the shade is similar to Sunset Gold. :idont The bag didn't exactly state the color. It has a bit of a yellowish tint. The anubias in the middle reminds me of a palm tree on the beach. I'm very fickle when it comes to aquascapes. :rofl3

How are you faring with the sand? The only thing that makes me nervous is my fish don't see the pellets too well when it hits the sand, it blends in.

Gorgeous! And the fish are looking bright and healthy too! :D

Hi Linzi! :hi Thanks for looking! :)

Nice!! Gravel next!!:-)

:scared Uhhhhh I dunno. I was having heart palpitations when I was adding the sand, so I probably won't be doing any major changes any time soon! :rofl3

Very happy! Bet the fish love it.

There are a lot of things that can be planted in sand . . . just so you know . . .

:D

Thank you! c:

I bought an argentine sword and a compacta the other day so I may just put them in the goldie tank, with root tabs, of course. :D

I hope you'll be selling some more driftwood soon, put me on your waiting list! :bat:

:rofl

Compacta the sword, or Compacta the hygro?

I had a few swords when I started out keeping goldfish, they did well, even when I didn't know much about plants.

There isn't any driftwood in the works at the moment, but I am growing a few other anubias pieces that will be posted eventually.

Did a minor change to the tank a few minutes ago. I planted the argentine sword(which became several tiny swords upon opening) I bought the other day and stuck in half a root tab.

Hopefully my knuckleheads won't bother them. :lol3

DSC_1178_zps8d69339a.jpg

DSC_1179_zpsff84e6df.jpg

• Supporter

I have lots of them. They grow great. And when they get bigger ther will kinda look like Amazon swords. Or atleast mine does.

5ynuqe2a.jpgits what most of the stuff on the right is lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel E.

I suggest planting the Compacta sword as well. When I plant, I plant heavy, so if the fish decide to pick on the plants, they spread out the abuse, instead of placing their attention on just a few select plants.

Thank you Mikey and Mike! (:rofl) It's still a work in progress. :P

I have lots of them. They grow great. And when they get bigger ther will kinda look like Amazon swords. Or atleast mine does.
5ynuqe2a.jpgits what most of the stuff on the right is lol.

Oooooh, pretty! :heart They look like narrow-leaved amazon swords, almost.

I have high hopes for these little plants, hopefully I don't brutally murder them. :rofl3