Anyone ever order driftwood from "alternetx" on eBay?

They've been a member since 1999, and have 100% positive feedback, out of Minnesota.

Anyway, they have a lot of smooth-looking driftwood from Lake Superior.

Thoughts, experiences, other vendors you like to buy driftwood from?

From one of their listings:

You are bidding on a unique piece of natural driftwood straight from the shores of Lake Superior and surrounding areas. It is perfect for use in an aquarium, reptile habitat, craft project, or any one of hundreds of other purposes! Make your project truly one of a kind with this piece of driftwood!

A few things to consider before adding it to your aquarium/habitat:
* I only collect driftwood that I would feel safe putting in my own aquarium. Anything rotten, moldy, or questionable is left on the beach.
* As with ANY natural driftwood, you run the risk of introducing something in your aquarium/habitat that you do not want in there. To minimize this risk, I have taken the following steps to prep all my driftwood placed in my aquarium, and have not had any problems: 1) Boil or pour boiling water over this driftwood to kill anything. 2) Place in sun to dry out for a couple days to make sure everything is dead. 3) Boil again for good measure.
* As with ANY piece of driftwood, they have tannins in them which can cause a brownish tint to the water. Boiling helps release these tannins, but some may remain. Water changes & activated carbon filtration help remove these tannins from the water. This driftwood has been floating in Lake Superior for who knows how long, so most should be tannin free, but there might still be some lingering.
* Most of these pieces will initially float in water. Boiling will help quicken the water-logging process, but some method of weighing the wood down will almost certainly be required. There are many methods to do this that you can read about online. The method that I have used numerous times is to take a piece of slate tile, drill a hole through it, and use a deck screw to attach the driftwood to the tile. Then simply bury the tile in your substrate, and your driftwood looks like it is naturally submerged. For an additional $5, I will provide a piece of tile with a few holes drilled in it and a couple screws for you. Just send me a message and I will send you an amended invoice.

Shipping on this piece is to the USA only. Be sure to check out my other auctions for driftwood and rocks! I will combine shipping on multiple orders. The highest shipping rate will be charged initially, after that $1 for each additional piece will be added. The more you buy the more you save!

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask. Thanks for looking!!

I know nothing about the specific seller but they don't seem to be running any scam outside of the - selling wood they picked up on the beach and you could to - part. You are paying them for their time picking the wood up.

The language is a bit ambivalent in one place:As with ANY natural driftwood, you run the risk of introducing something in your aquarium/habitat that you do not want in there. To minimize this risk, I have taken the following steps to prep all my driftwood placed in my aquarium, and have not had any problems:

I'm not sure if this means that they have boiled/treated the wood you will receive (another feature of the time you will be paying them for) or if they just mean that they have done this to the wood in their own aquarium.

Basically, think about how much your time is worth. If their service seems like a good deal, buy the wood. If not, go out to Lake Monroe (I went to grad school at IU - you may have a different lake) and pick up some wood you fancy :)

OH, I think you're right, I took that to mean they had already prepped it, but I maybe they're just telling how to do it! I might message the seller when I'm closer to making a decision and see what they say. Thanks for the input!

Thank you - so is theirs already prepped? Or is that something that I'll need to do myself regardless of where I buy it? I'd be willing to pay more if the hard part is already done of course! :D

You would have to email jeff@aquariumdesigngroup.com. he is great to work with.