Eugene's dropsy has really progressed :( help!

I just did an 80% water change, hope that's enough! I have to head to bed soon, so there's not much more I can do on that front...

No idea how much Eugene weighs, but he is a tiny bit over 3 inches from nose to peduncle :P

The maracyn says:

"Add the contents of one packet per 10 gallons of water and repeat every 24 hours for 5 days. Repeat this 5 day treatment only once if needed. Important: Treat for 5 days even if visible signs disappear. May be used concurrently with Coppersafe, Maracide, Maracyn Two or Maroxy."

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be able to do daily, but probably every other day, if not more often!

So when should I start the maracyn? And it says to dose for 5 days, I assume the meds would accumulate in the water, and that's what we want? Or I should do a water change (almost) every day and then add the dose of meds?

hi courtney, so glad things are moving forward ;)

i'll let lisa confirm about starting maracyn/erythro and those WCs -- i think the general logic is the *more WCs* the better -- especially when moving through a treatment like this.

[it's been a while since i used maracyn/erythro, but i did a 100% WC every day, and added a fresh packet each day. there was no 'accumulation' of meds in the water, true, but again, i think the benefits from the WCs outweighed that…. and/or, if i remember correctly, it's possible erythro is active in the water only for a 24 hour period, hence the package instruction to re-dose daily…. in which case it would not accumulate in strength over the 5 day period]

*i don't know what is correct in this case, though -- so please do let the mods clarify it for you.*

the main thing is: you're on the way.

i'm sending good thoughts! :)

:heart:heart:heart

Edited by melusine

Start the maracyn whenever you are ready. Christine is correct. Erythromycin is active for only 24 hours that is why you dose it daily therefore daily or every other day WCs will work fine. If you do every other day just be sure to double Prime on the day that you don't do the WC, ok? :D

Okay, sounds great!

Should I remove the biological stuff from my filter and just let it run with only the sponge in it? The instructions says maracyn won't harm the biological filter, but I don't know for sure.

I mean, worst comes to worst, I have another filter running on my main tank, and its got lots of bacteria living in there :P

Anyway, here's what I've done tonight:

- 80% water change

- dosed with one packet of maracyn

- a few pellets of MMs

- instructed my mom on what to do tomorrow since I'm staying the night at school tomorrow night :P

Also, is 20 pellets a day enough for him? He's a pretty big guy, although, at least half his length is from his tail :)

I went by a couple things to guesstimate what he would need as far as MMs. His length is about 3 inches. Going from Jess' thread on fish length vs weight, the range reported was 40-60 g. I have a fish about 3 inches and he is about 54 g. I estimated your fish to be about 50 g (his belly doesn't look as fat as my fish's :whistle ). So for a 3 inch fish, he looked avg to me, not skinny but not fat. Make sense?

I would remove the biological filter. Treating with an antibiotic will probably affect it at least a bit and since you will be doing large WCs every day or every other day, you can go without the biomedia.

And give your mom a hug. :teehee

in my experience, i *have* seen a cycle dip/crash using marcyn (tho not maracyn 2, which is a different drug).

(which is why that PRIME dose on a day without a WC is such a lifesaver!)

and i second the motion: give your mom a hug! :P so glad she was there to sign for the package!!!! :D

xo

Edited by melusine

and 2x that for you, courtney!!! :thumb:

now you probably are soooooo ready for bed!!...

sleep well -- and ROCK school tomorrow :D

i'll stay near, for updates...

:P

christine

in my experience, i *have* seen a cycle dip/crash using marcyn (tho not maracyn 2, which is a different drug).

(which is why that PRIME dose on a day without a WC is such a lifesaver!)

and i second the motion: give your mom a hug! :P so glad she was there to sign for the package!!!! :D

xo

I agree about the Maracyn and the cycle, and would go as far as to say that every waterborne antibiotic, aside from metronidazole, should be treated as having the potential to crash your cycle.

Hang in there, and good luck! :hug

Hi everyone!

Eugene seems to be doing well :) He's very much upside right (I haven't seen him upside down at all in a few days). He's lost some of his colouring though... I think I now have a Brown Moor :P

He's still sitting on the bottom though, but moving around a lot more, and reacts quite well whenever anyone walks into the room :)

Hopefully the meds are helping!

Hi guys,

Just an update on Eugene. Well, not much of an update, actually. It seems like nothing has changed with him recently. He's still sitting on the bottom. Eating the MM's like crazy, he seems to love them :)

How many days am I supposed to feed the MMs? I'll get some pictures as soon as I can :)

He seems to be swimming around (not on the bottom!) more than he was before, so that's an improvment!

I'm glad he's doing better, Courtney!!! :nana I was reading the thread and just wanted to let Christine know how awesome she was for being able to send the meds and the amazing help as usual from the mod team! :D and of course, Courtney for being so brave through all if this. It must have been tough seeing Eugene upside down at the bottom not moving too much. :grouphug

• Supporter

if he's away from tank lights, he will continue to go brown.. when he's re-introduced to the main tank, his black colouring will return :)

i hope he continues to improve.. c'mon Eugene! you can do it! :)