Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Eugene's dropsy has really progressed :( help!

Hi guys,

Just an update. Eugene was being a little more active this morning when I woke up. He was attempting to swim around more than he was yesterday. But now he's settled back down and it moving around very much. I've just got him transferred to the QT tank now. I'm just a little worried that the aeration is a little strong. I have a pretty powerful air pump, designed for tanks up to 60 gallons (I believe). It's causing quite the turbulence in the tank.

I had a smaller air pump, I just don't know where it is. I'm going to try to look for it, but if I can't find it, I'm not sure what I should do. I put a filter on the tank for now (I'll remove it from the tank when I get the meds so I don't ruin the biological filter). I've got the output turned way down low, so that won't be causing any problems

EDIT: found the air pump, got it set up now :) much better!

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

MM's and Maracyn/erythromycin in the mail as we speak! should be there by approx. noon tomorrow. :)

courtney has the tracking info, etc. via PM.

fingers crossed for eugene. :)

xo

christine

MM's and Maracyn/erythromycin in the mail as we speak! should be there by approx. noon tomorrow. :)

xo

christine

Thanks for doing this, Christine!!

xo

christine

Thanks for doing this, Christine!!

hi lisa! :hi

<3 everyone here is so wonderful. Thank you all so much for your help. The meds should be here tomorrow afternoon, and I'll be treating the tank as soon as I get home from school.

Eugene is such a strong little guy, I really hope he can pull through!!

we're all rooting for him xo. :heart

they could be there by 10:30a -- i'll have a hawk's eye on that tracking!

the mods can instruct you just how to go forward.... you're in good hands!

just talked to fedex, and the package has not yet cleared customs. :o

if it clears tonight then it will be there weds by 5p. they say the delay is not unusual, but poo!

anyhow. fingers crossed it gets to you soon, courtney….

good thoughts,

christine

Hey guys! Happy to say that, although the meds haven't come yet, Eugene is looking a little better! He's actually been upside right (but still on the bottom) for most of the evening!

Did a water change, and he seems to be happy :) Hopefully the meds get here soon so we can help speed his healing!

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

courtney has the long :( version of this in a PM… so i'll just say

fedex has totally messed up - the mailing label/air waybill apparently got torn from the envelope by some machine in the sorting process (they think) and so the package has been sitting at the airport at customs 45 minutes from courtney's house since 11a this morning. nobody at fedex got assigned to fix the issue this afternoon, and i was given wrong information earlier when they told me the delay was nothing to be concerned about. nobody yet (two supervisors later, 10pm my time) can tell me how they are going to solve the problem and just get the **** thing delivered. i'm supposed to call corporate in the morning.

i apologize. this should go in the rant thread. the upshot for this thread is that there is a delay in getting eugene his meds, and i feel terrible. tomorrow i will look into preparing a second, identical package, and sending that. let me see what i find out in the morning, and i will make a plan.

good night all,

hang on little eugene!!

xo christine

I'm so sorry about the screw up.

You are such a fantastic person for doing this, Christina!

well, that's international post at it's very best.. sorry this happened. hopefully it will be sorted soon. christine, don't beat yourself up, you aren't a transport company. take it from someone who has to deal with international packages daily.. this is not the worst that can happen.

hi helen and alex,

thank you for these kind words - and the perspective :) you're so right! there's a lot worse that could happen… so: it's a new day, and: whew! :P

the good news is that fedex shows the package delivered. the next question is whether or not customs left all the stuff in the package! (no one could confirm this for me this morning :doh11: ) ANYhow… there *should be* 24 packets of maracyn erythromycin, and about 2 oz or so of metro meds…. fingers crossed!!

i'm sure courtney will post when she's home and can see that it's all there.

(hi courtney! i hope it's all there!!!) :)

in any case: here's good good thoughts especially for little eugene, today.

i'll check back soon

:) christine

Never a dull moment when it comes to our fish! Glad it made it to her. Hopefully everything is in there!!

You did your best, Christine. It was definitely beyond your control. :hug

Hi everyone!!

So happy to say that I got the package once I got home from school! Thanks for the note and all your effort (and the meds!!) Christine! You've been so wonderfully helpful.

Now on to the next step! The directions on the Maracyn box say to add one packet per 10 gallons of water and repeat every day for 5 days. I suppose I should go ahead and start that right away!

Also, should I be feeding Eugene the Metro Meds along with treating with Maracyn, or should I save that for after the treatment?

Will be waiting to hear if there are any special instructions!

:)

Oh! Also, Maracyn is supposed to not kill the beneficial bacteria, so should I just leave the filter in there? Or should I remove it? I'd feel awfully wierd not having a filter on a tank!

hi courtney! hooray! :)

please let the mods confirm this, but i do *not* think that the meds are to be used together. if you are able, let's see if one will pop in to advise you before you begin treatment...

Alrighty, I'll wait then :)

Just so everyone knows, Eugene is sitting upside right on the bottom, with his dorsal fin up higher than I've seen in a long time!! :)

hooray! :)

has eugene had a WC today? it *might* be something the mods will recommend, a nice big one before commencing treatment - so there's nothing else in the water.

and he's in the 10 gal QT, right?

;)

Edited by melusine

Yep, he's in a 10 gallon. I did a water change yesterday. I was thinking about doing one tonight too before the meds. Maybe I'll get dinner cooking, and do a water change then :)

i've gotta get dinner going too :) water change is always a good idea before meds, IMHO. and by then maybe someone will pop in. :)

i'll pop back in after dinner! ;)

If he's been eating then I would go with the MMs. I'll have to look back and see if Sharon recommended the Maracyn in conjunction with that.

Do you know what he weighs? If not, please measure him from nose to peduncle. :D

Yes, I did use Maracyn along with the MM.

Thank you Sharon.

I would do a 100% WC today, then add the Maracyn as directed on the package. Can you tell me what the directions are please? :idont