Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Eugene's dropsy has really progressed :( help!

Test Results for the Following: haven't tested lately, will do so when im home

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature? 22 Celsius

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 38 gallons, running for years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50 and tetra whisper ex45

* How often do you change the water and how much? Lately about every two weeks (due to school) and about 40-50%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? about 5 days ago, 50%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, each about 4 inches plus tail

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Gel food every day. Frozen blood worms and brine shrimp as a treat

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Metronidazole

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Only metro within the last year, usually in the food

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Large gill tumor, black scales in a patch suddenly gold, eyes cloudy

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Lying upside down on bottom or floating upside down. Slightly tilted. Not using fins on one side of body, not eating

Hi guys. Im writing this on my phone on a bus, so bear with me.

Eugene has had dropsy on and off for a long time. It usually surfaces every couple months, and I treat him with metronidazole gel food that I make.

The last time this happened, I saw pineconing on him in January. I made up some gel food and treated him. The symptoms mostly went away but not fully. In February, it was back. So I decided to treat him again even though I really dislike using meds that much. Long story short, it did not work at all.

He is not able to swim upside right. He is either floating upside down or sunk right to the bottom upside down. He is also not completely vertically upside down, but tilted slightly to one side. It also appears that he isn't even using one side oh his body.

As a side note, Eugene has a large tumor on his gill. It hasnt been affecting him too much though but it sure looks uncomfortable.

Now I've been hoping that clean water and good food would help him feel better, but he's been getting progressively worse.

My other fish, Gill has been getting really aggressive toward Eugene lately so I had to put a tank divider in. Now Eugene can floated motionless and slightly tilted without getting picked on....

Unfortunately I haven't been able to set up a hospital tank due to life circumstances. .

Two days ago, when Eugene took a turn for the worse, his eyes started clouding over as if he has cataracts. This really worried me, so I decided to dose the whole tank with metro. I know its not good for Gill but theres nothing I could do about that and im not going to lose Eugene.

He was doing so poorly last night, I was afraid I was going to lose him overnight. But he made it through the night. He was lying upside down on the bottom underneath the bubble wall. He was still breathing.

Im headed to school now (hence the bus) but unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it home until Friday evening. My mom is at home with Eugene, so she'll be able to keep me updated and treat the tank with whatever you guys might suggest.

I really need help here. I have no idea what to do :(

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well. :hug. Please get those tests ASAP. Can your mom read the instructions and test and report back to you?

Is metro always in the gel food? If so, that is not good. They can become tolerant to te meds and they won't work anymore. Also, if he isn't getting the correct dose, it's not too effective. The healthy fish should definitely not be getting metro.

Oh no no, I only make metro gel food when I need to treat. Otherwise there's never any meds in the food. I know sometimes Gill gets a bit of it by I try my best to avoid having him get any of the medicated food. Eugene usually takes it right from a spoon from me.

I will ask my mom about the tests, at least for ammonia and nitrite/nitrate

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

hello Courtney..

i have been following Eugene's rounds of dropsy and through my own experiences and others that i have been involved in here and understand that where a fish will relapse under treatments is not a very good sign at all..

unfortunately, as you have experienced with Eugene. once dropsy affects a fish, it will continue to return, each time coming back faster and sometimes stronger. i had a fish which suffered dropsy and kept relapsing but responded to the meds 5 times. on the 6th time when things were looking good, under treatment he relapsed a few times and succumbed to the infection.

i notice you say that it's been since January that Eugene isn't well and now he is not responding to treatments at all. as well as having lost appetite. all signs of alluding a losing the battle this time around.

in all honesty, what are your thoughts? do you want to attempt another round of Epsom and possibly some other med? i do not know what to suggest one in the UK other than Metronidazole, but i can make a report to the mod team and we can discuss treatment options if any... or do you think it's Eugene's time to stop fighting? we will support either decision you make.

when was the last time he ate? have you seen his poop at all?

this time around, you will need to QT him and make daily 100% waterchanges if you decide that you want to help him fight.

we will also need the water params and pictures topview as well as a short video of his resting position and his movements if any.

Thanks helen. Ive decided to just not worry about what I need to get done at school this evening so i can head home and get eugene set up in a qt tank. I do want to keep trying, I know he's not ready to give up yet!

Thanks helen. Ive decided to just not worry about what I need to get done at school this evening so i can head home and get eugene set up in a qt tank. I do want to keep trying, I know he's not ready to give up yet!

ok hun :) i will make a report to the mod team (since i will be going to bed shortly) and they can make suggestions if anything else other than Metronidazole may help Eugene.

no problems, hun. i have submitted the report. please do provide param details from tank and tap as well as the requested media when you can :)

I'm wishing you all the best! My Speckle just came down with dropsy for the first time yesterday, and I am similarly worried. I'm sending healing vibes to Eugene :hug we can make it through this!

I hope I don't sound rude in saying this. But with a dropsy fish you really cannot let the water changes go to every two weeks. And if you absolutely must let it go for two weeks, do a 90% water change and not just a 50%.

Healing energy and lots of love to Eugene!

Thanks for the healing thoughts guys.

Ashlee, I know I can't let it go the long but I'm currently trying to get through my undergrad and applying to vet school right now... so I dont even have enough time to shower, let alone change the water more often :( I will start doing bigger changes though!!

Oh no :( the weather got so bad while ive been at school. They've closed the highway and buses are running at least 90 minutes late. I dont know what I should do. I dont know if I should try to make my way home or just stay here as originally planned. I live an hour and a half from campus so its a long way on a bus in bad road conditions. The power is out at my house so the filters are down (and heat lamps for my reptiles). Its juust not a good situation ugh. How urgent is this water change? If the params are okay, should I just not risk it?

Hope he feels better.

Okay, so my mom did the tests. Apparently ammonia is at 0.6 and nitrite is 0.2. I dont feel like these are very good at all. Should I make my way home?

If you can't make it home, I'd be sure to have her double Prime the tank. :D

The fish are important, but your well being is more important. Don't risk it if it's not safe to travel.

Hi guys. The roads were cleared up pretty fast so I decided to make the trip home. Although it took me three and a half hours. And then I got home and the power was out again! :madrant

Anyway, the power came back on about 45 minutes ago. So first thing I did was a big water change. I didn't have time to dig out the old 10 gallon to set up a QT tank for Eugene (everyone is going to bed now so I can't be making noise... the joys of not having my own place!)

He seems to be doing... okay. He's breathing better than he was when I left this morning. He still lying on the bottom, somewhat sideways, but mostly upside down. He's using all his fins now, not just those on one side. And my mom was able to get some food in him today (there were poops in the bowl he's been resting in). He seems to like relaxing in the bowl, but he does come out once in a while to float around the tank until he can find his way back into the bowl.

I'm really worried about him being sideways though. That's not a good thing to be when you're a fish.

Also not sure what I should do now. The tank was medicated since Sunday, so it has only been a few days with the medication there. I did about an 80% water change, so most of the meds are gone now.

I'm not going to be able to get the QT tank up until Saturday morning. There's just no way I can since I won't be home. What should I do in the meantime?

The only things I have on hand are: PraziPro, Melafix, and aquarium salt (and Prime, of course).

Thanks for your help guys :heart I'm so glad I have somewhere to turn when my little guys aren't feeling well!

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't look good. I told Helen that I have had some success with Maracyn, which contains the antibiotic erythromycin. I looked for a possible source in the UK, but all I found was this. http://www.vitamingrocer.co.uk/SearchResults.asp?Search=maracyn&Submit=

Perhaps you could obtain some from a veterinarian.

I think I can get Maracyn where I am. I've had success with metro several times before, but maybe he's developed a tolerance to it now. I'll look into that, thanks Sharon! :)

I wonder if my country flag is displaying correctly though? I have it set to the Canadian flag, and now two people have said UK! Hmmm, must look into this :P

No, it's fine, LOL. Helen said you were in the UK, so I never looked at your location. No problem in Ontario!

I can't offer any advice, but I wanted to pop in and say that I'm so sorry about Eugene. I really hope he pulls through for you.