Help - Speckle has dropsy! :(

kiwikacey

So - here is what I have done so far.

I woke up this morning and Speckle was pineconing slightly. She had been a little listless lately, but was eating/pooping fine and wasn't floaty or anything. The males have been chasing her around all over the place so I just figured she was tired. Anyway, I rushed to get her set up in the QT (10 gallon) before I had to leave for class and work, and started maracyn 2. I don't have a heater in there yet and have not done anything else since getting home 10 minutes ago. She is still tired looking, still alive (thank goodness!!!) and the pineconing has not gotten worse. What else should I do???

Thank you for any help...I feel so awful that my poor water piggy is sick :(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the link to the chart in my signature. Could you please fill that out completely?

Do you have Epsom Salt on hand?

Could you please provide some clear top and side view photos?

:hug Relax and let the Mods help out.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8+
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit drops
      • * Water temperature? 74
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallon, 7 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 Aquaclear 110s HOB
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 70% every week or so
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days, 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 other fish, approx 4 inches apiece
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime, Flourish Root tabs, VitaChem freshwater liquid multivitamin, algone in 1 filter basket
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A, 2-3x daily; peas; frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, hikari tubifex worms if I can find them, as treats
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No - QT got 2 packets on Maracyn 2 this morning as per instructions on box
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Last treated for flukes ~ 3 months ago, other than that I have not treated this tank for anything. When I first had Speckle a year ago, she had very bad septicemia. I treated her for that with Maracyn 2.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pineconing scales
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Seems to be breathing more heavily, pineconing, listless and gets tired faster while swimming

also @ ChelseaM...I do not have Epsom salt on hand. The earliest I can try to get some is tomorrow! Trying to get some photos....

Edited by kiwikacey

Try your best to get it tomorrow. It is the first go-to for treating Dropsy. Just make sure it is plain Epsom and doesn't have any scents in it.

-removed because of editing.-

:hug Many healing vibes your way.

Edited by ChelseaM

Great news! My pharmacy hadn't closed by the time I made it there, so I have epsom salt! Now what do I do?

& thanks all for the well-wishes :) I'm hoping she'll pull through

Dissolve 1/4 tsp Epsom per 10 gallons of water. :D

Is this okay even with the Maracyn 2?

Epsom is fine.

Are you treating with Maracyn 2 again? That would not be my first choice, and I would instead appeal to one of your neighbors for some Metro-meds.

Dissolve 1/4 tsp Epsom per 10 gallons of water. :D

Is this okay even with the Maracyn 2?

Epsom is fine.

Are you treating with Maracyn 2 again? That would not be my first choice, and I would instead appeal to one of your neighbors for some Metro-meds.

I am - that was just what I had on hand. Am also feeding medi-gold...

I'm sorry, but I think that combination of meds is really really bad.

1. Maracyn 2 is light sensitive, and degradation products are very toxic to the kidneys.

2. Kanamycin in MG is very harsh on the kidneys. Between these two meds, you may make the dropsy worse. :(

3. There is no metronidazole anywhere in the mix, and most of the time, metro is what's needed.

I can't presume to tell you what to do, but if it were me, I would do a 100% WC immediately, and get those meds out ASAP. Then get MMs or metro alone.

Alex - I will do this. How long will she be okay for? I have to order the meds and I will try to get them as soon as possible....I am really worried :( What should I do? Just epsom salt?

Good luck and be strong. The mods will help you through this all! Hang in there Speckles!

I can't get the MMs any faster than 5-7 days.....I'm afraid that might be way too long. Ahhhhhhhh! In this case, should I stick with only the Maracyn and NO medi gold? I will order the metro meds asap but can't imagine doing nothing for a week

Alex - I will do this. How long will she be okay for? I have to order the meds and I will try to get them as soon as possible....I am really worried :( What should I do? Just epsom salt?

We want meds in Speckle ASAP, but Epsom salt for now will have to do.

Are you near Lisa and company, or closer to Jason? I think if you can arrange to pick some up from them first so you can start, that would be much better. :)

Could you get powdered metro?

You won't be able to order MMs for a week? You could ask on the forum if anyone has MMs they could send you . . . I'm sure someone would offer. :D

No - I just ordered MMs but they won't actually be here for a week. I posted a note to Rick to ask if he could ship them any faster! I hope so....I will get some powdered metro in the meantime

& Alex - I'm not sure. I don't have a car, regardless, so picking anything up would be very difficult for me. Thank you for the thought! I am doing a WC now and will add back the salt

Edited by kiwikacey

We want meds in Speckle ASAP, but Epsom salt for now will have to do.

Are you near Lisa and company, or closer to Jason? I think if you can arrange to pick some up from them first so you can start, that would be much better. :)

Kiwikacey isn't in Michigan, Alex.

The meds should take a day or two by post if anyone could send some though.