Sign in to follow this  
choji002

Water's height

Hi guys, I'm new to goldfish keeping, I've just started 20 gallon tank forsome goldfish and I really want to know more about the water level in the tank. I've read some articles about it and some recommends that it should be between 15 to 20cm to give the fish less water pressure and nice tail, but I saw lots of video on youtube of some tanka fully filled .So which one is better ?

I'm also interested to know this - I always thought the water was supposed to be up high, under the trim so you can't see it, but I see pics of tanks where the water level is a couple inches below...

Goldfish prefer a more horizontal swimming area which is why a lot of folks around here like the 20g long and 40g breeder tanks. Also, some of the really big aquariums have favorable dimensions. Some goldfish are more prone to swim bladder problems that make deeper water difficult for them. I think aesthetically speaking it looks better to fill the water to the top, but by utilizing a tank with longer dimensions you can accomplish both. :)

Yah, I've been asking my self this question since I started my first tank, but these are only recommendations from some guys on the internet and the information is not yet confirmed.

Goldfish prefer a more horizontal swimming area which is why a lot of folks around here like the 20g long and 40g breeder tanks. Also, some of the really big aquariums have favorable dimensions. Some goldfish are more prone to swim bladder problems that make deeper water difficult for them. I think aesthetically speaking it looks better to fill the water to the top, but by utilizing a tank with longer dimensions you can accomplish both. :)

Yes, I thought about the bladder issues too, that's why I only have my tank 3/4 filled but since I saw lots of fully-filled tank so I think I should bring this up so I could get advice from you guys. ^^

Yes, I thought about the bladder issues too, that's why I only have my tank 3/4 filled but since I saw lots of fully-filled tank so I think I should bring this up so I could get advice from you guys. ^^

How big is your tank...dimensions? How many fish do you have in that tank? And, do they have swim bladder or floating issues? The reason I ask is that by lowering the level of water you are decreasing the volume of water available to the fish which will increase the concentration of waste products. If your fish is healthy, then I think it would be more advantageous to fill the tank to the top.

How big is your tank...dimensions? How many fish do you have in that tank? And, do they have swim bladder or floating issues? The reason I ask is that by lowering the level of water you are decreasing the volume of water available to the fish which will increase the concentration of waste products. If your fish is healthy, then I think it would be more advantageous to fill the tank to the top.

I have 2 tanks: 1st one is 60x30x40 (cm) for my telescope and oranda , 2nd one is 50x30x35 for 3 little lionhead. ^^ They are doing fine and they love to swim around my hand.

Edited by choji002

:hi Okay...my calculator was on fire...sorry! I'm getting about 18.5 US gallons for the tele and oranda and 13.75 US gallons for 3 little lionheads. Please correct me if my math is off. The rule of thumb that most use on this forum is 20 US gal per your average fully grown fancy. It looks like you are a bit overstocked and will be having to do very frequent large water changes to keep your water parameters in check for the time being. When you decide to upgrade, you can consider tanks that have longer dimesions. But for now, if your fish seem to be healthy I would fill the tanks up fully and suggest daily water changes.

:hi Okay...my calculator was on fire...sorry! I'm getting about 18.5 US gallons for the tele and oranda and 13.75 US gallons for 3 little lionheads. Please correct me if my math is off. The rule of thumb that most use on this forum is 20 US gal per your average fully grown fancy. It looks like you are a bit overstocked and will be having to do very frequent large water changes to keep your water parameters in check for the time being. When you decide to upgrade, you can consider tanks that have longer dimesions. But for now, if your fish seem to be healthy I would fill the tanks up fully and suggest daily water changes.

Thank you for your help, it is really hard to ask for advice at the pet store bcuz some of them do not know much about goldfish and I have to search for information on the internet. Even the owner of the pet shop that I often buy from tell me it's ok to place more than 5 goldfish in my tank

Oh goodness! I am very glad to help. :) Fancy goldfish are very different in waste production than other fish. Keeping your stocking within the appropriate limits will help your fish be healthier in the long run. Do you have a testing kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

I fill my tanks to the rim, 1/2" from the top. More water. More swim :)

I consider buying a water testing kit but it is too expensive at my local pet shop, so I have not bought any yet. But I've been doing frequent water changing and observing my fish' s behaviors.

Can you order from Amazon.com? If so, the API Master Kit is pretty reasonably priced.

I asked my cousin to buy it for me cuz he will return from the States this May. ^^ btw I live in Viet Nam. It is strange that all fish at my local pet shops can live in tap water @@.

I asked my cousin to buy it for me cuz he will return from the States this May. ^^ btw I live in Viet Nam. It is strange that all fish at my local pet shops can live in tap water @@.

that's probably because the water doesn't contain chlorine, or chloramines, or very low amounts of it.

where in VN are you?

Also, given that it's only 20 gallons, you are better off filling it up.

that's probably because the water doesn't contain chlorine, or chloramines, or very low amounts of it.

where in VN are you?Also, given that it's only 20 gallons, you are better off filling it up.

I live in Ho Chi Minh city, I'm still in college.

It was last yeat,first time I bought my oranda at my local pet shop I did ask them if I have to treat the water but they told me that I didn't have to. You know I'm newbie and I believe in them and it turned out to be true. I feel guikty saying this but I didn't have a tank back then I let little oranda lived in a container about 13gal and I always do 100% water changing with untreated tap water and he has been doing fine. It's been almost a year until I bought a tank last month and I moved him in new tank.

Edited by choji002

I fill my tanks to the rim, 1/2" from the top. More water. More swim :)

I do the same! Moar water :nana

Yay fill the tank to the top, I was worried about it but it's clear now. Thank you

where in VN are you?Also, given that it's only 20 gallons, you are better off filling it up.

I live in Ho Chi Minh city, I'm still in college.

It was last yeat,first time I bought my oranda at my local pet shop I did ask them if I have to treat the water but they told me that I didn't have to. You know I'm newbie and I believe in them and it turned out to be true. I feel guikty saying this but I didn't have a tank back then I let little oranda lived in a container about 13gal and I always do 100% water changing with untreated tap water and he has been doing fine. It's been almost a year until I bought a tank last month and I moved him in new tank.

Well, tanks are nice for displaying the fish, but if you want some beautiful, colorful, and really healthy goldfish, make a pond.

The temperatures where you are are quite perfect for keeping goldfish outside.

yah it's good that I don't have to worry about heater, but I don't have enough space for a pond. I like indoor pond more teehee.

Some members have gorgeous indoor ponds that you could model from. Personally, I love Chelsea's! Just use a stock tank. They're cheap compared to tanks and will offer a lot of space for your goldfish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup I love too, when I was a kid I always dreamt about a small pond with cute little goldfish in it and I would be there swimming and touching those little ones lol

Thanks, Justin!

I really do enjoy my indoor pond setup. When you get room for it, it would be a very wonderful thing to do for your fish. I am very jealous that you live in a country where "Yellow Powder" is easily available, Choji.

For now, fill the tanks all the way up. You'll need the water space more than you need show-groomed fish right now. :)

I like to keep my tanks very full too. I agree the more water the better but ALSO it makes less ambient noise. With a 90 gal & 29 gal in the living room there is a good bit of noise..no way around it but keeping the water level as high as possible lessens it.

I realized both tanks had at least an inch or two from the brim so I went about filling!! I just got finished raising the water level in both tanks to the bottom of the rims! WoW!! Much less noise! And looks pretty cool too!

(I'm just a happy camper today!!)

*Note*

By "BRIM" I mean the water level is to the BOTTOM of the rim that goes around the tank.

Edited by Jeana727