I've got the goldfish bug...

Elisa

Hey all....

So lately I've been itching for a bigger tank- more fancies, more gallons, more, more , MOARRRRR... :teehee
I'm a bit surprised with myself and I'm hoping that I'm not the only one who has had this feeling :blink:

....I think maybe I just tend to get obsessed with things?
I don't know.
I guess I just remember when I was younger and had 2 or 3 goldfish tanks up and running at a time.
And long to regain that sense of ruling over an epic fish empire? :rolleyes: lol

But then after those thoughts pass, I immediately jump to the heartache felt when all of them finally passed on :rip:
Which leaves me feeling very conflicted.

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy with my current setup and just having my little Mochi-bear :heart

But there's just something so appealing about the idea of having more goldfish (or at least another one...).
I am scheduled to move into a new apartment this summer and will have a lot more space and freedom to put up more tanks if I wanted to.

Why do goldfish have to be so addictive?

I am seriously fretting over this, which sounds utterly ridiculous....but it's the truth :doh11:
Anyone got any thoughts?

Sorry to dump this all on you guys :undecided:

Hi Elisa,

Don't worry. You are NOT the only one to feel that way! I started with a 60g tank with too many goldfish. Once I started learning what I SHOULD have been doing (nothing like starting it backwards hehe) and unfortunately after I lost some of my fish (entirely due to doing things backwards and not knowing) IT WASN'T ENOUGH!

Like you and others out there, I wanted MORE MORE MOOOOORRREEEE.

So......

I purchased a 29g tank for a couple more fancies.

BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH. I wanted MORE MORE MOOOOORRREEE.

So.......

I purchased a 40g tank. Of course for more goldfish.

Now I am busy busy busy.

AND.....

I think is just enough. EXCEPT..........

I WANT A LAKE LAKE LAKE!!! hahahahahah :thumbup2:

Hi Elisa,

Don't worry. You are NOT the only one to feel that way! I started with a 60g tank with too many goldfish. Once I started learning what I SHOULD have been doing (nothing like starting it backwards hehe) and unfortunately after I lost some of my fish (entirely due to doing things backwards and not knowing) IT WASN'T ENOUGH!

Like you and others out there, I wanted MORE MORE MOOOOORRREEEE.

So......

I purchased a 29g tank for a couple more fancies.

BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH. I wanted MORE MORE MOOOOORRREEE.

So.......

I purchased a 40g tank. Of course for more goldfish.

Now I am busy busy busy.

AND.....

I think is just enough. EXCEPT..........

I WANT A LAKE LAKE LAKE!!! hahahahahah :thumbup2:

This made me feel worlds better, thanks Mrs.Kay :D:heart

I think I'd like a lake too please !!! :rofl2

I can completely relate, I'm thinking a lot of us can : ) I think we enjoy and love the fishies so much of course we want more. I am absolutely addicted-I would have a houseful of aquariums if I could : ) I do keep a reality check for myself frequently-do I have the time for another, how much quality room do I have for how many total fish (because you know you will see that one you just have to have which may involve more maintenance etc). I think if you have the time, space, and funds for more then go for it : ) I think mochi would be happy with a tank mate too. Good luck!

It's normal lol. I started out with too many fish in a 10 gal! eeek! Then I got a 55 and quickly over stocked it. Then I got a 29 and another 29 and another 50.....anyway be careful haha.

If we had more space I would love to get a 55 gallon and start to get some fancies. Along with my 75 with my 2 babies, I startedkeeping two bettas in a 10 gallon. All the empty spaces in the house I see as potential places for tanks, but my mom wont have any of it! :teehee

• Supporter

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE.

Just kidding.... kind of :D

I'm pretty sure when you joined koko's, you also joined goldfish-aholics and it was only a matter of time before you went over the deep end

I am still cycling and I already have delusions of grande where I have over a 100 gallon with 4-5 squeeeeee worthy cuties. NAH.... a POND!!! ALL THE GOLDFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, so basically, you're in good company!

*insert evil laugh here*

You are among friends, Elisa. The one thing I would suggest is that you think through any acquisition and make sure that your life has the ability to accommodate MOOORE. Consider the 40 breeder and one more goldfish. I have seen people expand too quickly and too far and the giant tanks become a burden. :)

Hi, my name is Kyle and im a recovering goldfish addict.

At first there was just one, but it was lonely so i got another one. Before i knew it i had a 20g, a 40g, a 60g and a 100g stock tank.

I plan to breed eventually so having so many tanks makes sense, but it feels like its getting out of hand....but i want MOOORE!!

(everyone in the group: ) "Hi Kyle." :rofl

I have leaned into this goldfish obsession.

One way to look at it is that our pets are lucky to get such conscientious caregivers as servants owners.

We're passionate about our hobby and want more responsibility as our skills grow. I wonder how many fish biologists/LFS owners/aquarium docents started out with a 10 gallon? As long as I don't spend more than I can afford, neglect other responsibilities, or become unrealistic about projecting time commitments etc. I'm staying in balance.

Goldfish keeping is a fascinating and life-affirming subject that is its own reward.

:nana of coarse they're addicting! They are aquatic dogs :heart

I have three tanks, but that's only because my husband curbs my enthusiasm :( if I could I'd have a 500 gal and a ginormous outdoor pond :Jig: I don't have a pithon type water changer... Just use buckets and muscles :flex: I call that commitment :happydance

The bad part ..... Is when somebody gets sick :o then it can get overwhelming quickly!

:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3:rofl3
Hi, I'm Elisa and I'm a goldfish addict.

hehehehe

Ohmygoodness you guys, I have run out of my 'like' quota, or else I would have liked everyone's comments !
You have all made me feel worlds better, I am just happy to have such a lovely group of people to express my thoughts to !

Elisa, how big is your tank now?

It's a 20 gallon....
I really should have listened to everyone when they said to just go for the 40 gallon :oops:

Yes. I have 3 tanks. 55g with 4 goldfish, 29g with a turtle and fish, and a 20g tropical. Goldfish are my favourite as you can see by the biggest tank. xD I do have a big itch to get another goldfish from time to time since there are so many different varieties. But I go with the feeling that if I just start calling them "fish", then I have too much. So with my 4 goldies, I call them each by name everyday, so I think that is my max haha. When I had a 5th pearlscale, I just called her "pearlscale" lol. So yea... Too much for me even though I want more. :o)

Hi, my names Alicia, and I am a goldfish addict.

I started off with 2, and now I have 8 :yikes I have 4 in a 72g, 2 in a 40g and 2 in another 40g. I love my fish, but I regret this decision, as the maintenance is such a pain at times.

I'm currently working on getting a big tank for all of them (after losing my job I decided that the tank I wanted was too much, but now that I've got my job back I'm back on the hunt for a new tank, just a little cheaper haha).

Even now I struggle not to take fish home.

I'm so proud of myself, I haven't been to my lfs for 2 weeks :rofl I made the mistake of finding a gorgeous red and white chu, that I know is still available...I need to be good...

Hi, my name is Bronwyn and I'm a goldfishaholic.

My husband and I have had two tanks for most of our marriage, 3 at the beginning, one for a couple years in the middle and now we're up to three again. When we have multiple tanks one has always been for goldfish and one for tropical. At the moment we have a 55g with a black moor, two calico ranchu and a dojo loach, the 20g has a fantail and a ranchu and the snails (I'm waiting for them to get a little bigger, then some will go into the 55g and one in the 10g), and the 10g is tropical with mollies. The goldfish tanks are overstocked, but frequent maintenance takes care of that. I am very happy with the fish I have now, but if I had space I would definitely be on the lookout for a blue oranda.

I am not currently looking for any 'more' tanks, but I am constantly browsing the classifieds for upgrades to my current tanks so that I can have proper stocking by the time the fish are fully grown. The official plan is to replace the tanks I currently have (the plan is to find an 80g or 90g for the fish in the 55g and move the fish from the 20g to the 55g), but I have a feeling once my 20g is upgraded I'll turn it into a snail only tank.

Any time I get the bug I just remind myself of how much maintenance I have to do now and it usually dulls the itch.

Hmmm...I don't have any gold fish yet. I joined only one month ago and thought I'd eventually get a 40 or 55 gallon. One month later, and I'm thinking a 120 gallon might be a better option. :hummm Is there a just thing as a 120 gal? The biggest I've seen in LFS is 75, though my ex had a 90 gallon salt water while we were married. I really don't want to have goldies while I'm still living here, so that is a deterrent. Unless I get a generator first....

One good strategy is to just sit and appreciate the fish and set up you currently have. I like to look at my tank and think about how awesome it is that I have maintained a miniature ecosystem within those glass walls for a year now!! And how happy the goldies are to see me at dinner time! Our consumer driven society drives us to always want more, which keeps us striving, but striving isn't good if it is at the expense of gratitude for what we already have.

Having said that, in a couple of years when I move house, I'm probably going to get another big tank for more quick squishy faces in my life :blush:

My name is Linzi, and I have Multiple Tanks Syndrome :rofl

• Supporter

One good strategy is to just sit and appreciate the fish and set up you currently have. I like to look at my tank and think about how awesome it is that I have maintained a miniature ecosystem within those glass walls for a year now!! And how happy the goldies are to see me at dinner time! Our consumer driven society drives us to always want more, which keeps us striving, but striving isn't good if it is at the expense of gratitude for what we already have.

Having said that, in a couple of years when I move house, I'm probably going to get another big tank for more quick squishy faces in my life :blush:

My name is Linzi, and I have Multiple Tanks Syndrome :rofl

MTS!!!! :rofl