ill Panda Oranda-Bottom sitting-mouth open

Kendra

I followed the instructions on the box of TPG and intend to do a water change in the amount on the box at the 48 hour mark.

Hoping that TPG tx and dealing with the nitrate levels will bring about healing for Pearl.

My other fish seem fine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the instructions on the box of TPG and intend to do a water change in the amount on the box at the 48 hour mark.

Hoping that TPG tx and dealing with the nitrate levels will bring about healing for Pearl.

My other fish seem fine.

Kendra, what water change amount does the box say to do? The mods might recommend you change more water than the box says to. I don't know about this medication but a lot of other meds say to change out 25%, which is a really small amount for goldfish. Large water changes will combat the nitrates, but then you also have the issue of ammonia in your tap water (though Prime detoxifies it for 24 hours).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The box says 25% and if mods recommend a bigger change then I will do that. I use extra prime in the water to help deal with ammonia. I did a 50% water change yesterday and just added more prime to the water because the ammonia is reading at .25 in the tank. This usually happens in the first 24-48 hours of a water change due to the ammonia already in my tap water, but it does go down as the filter kicks in.

I am concerned about the nitrate levels in my tanks though. I just did a 2nd tap water nitrate test and it again came out negative.

After finding that the nitrate chemicals in the test kit I have been using for quite awhile was giving me incorrect test results, I have realized that I have had false beliefs about the quality of my tank condition. Wanting to remedy that.

My other fish seem fine.

Actually, I would like for you to do as close a 100% WC as possible, and then dose again the full dose recommended.

We are going to do this a total of 5 times like this.

The box says 25% and if mods recommend a bigger change then I will do that. I use extra prime in the water to help deal with ammonia. I did a 50% water change yesterday and just added more prime to the water because the ammonia is reading at .25 in the tank. This usually happens in the first 24-48 hours of a water change due to the ammonia already in my tap water, but it does go down as the filter kicks in.

I am concerned about the nitrate levels in my tanks though. I just did a 2nd tap water nitrate test and it again came out negative.

After finding that the nitrate chemicals in the test kit I have been using for quite awhile was giving me incorrect test results, I have realized that I have had false beliefs about the quality of my tank condition. Wanting to remedy that.

Well, you are doing a great job for your fish ... I am sure they appreciate your determination to make their world as nice and comfortable as possible!

20 ppm nitrate is not too bad, but I do agree that it is best for you to keep trying to get it below 10 ppm, especially with a sick fish. This can only be done through water changes since there are no bacteria that consume nitrate like there are for ammonia and nitrite. Plants can help bring nitrite down too, but not by much unless you have a LOT of plants (which is a lot of work in itself!).

Edited by *Amanda*

dnalex, I just got home and will be doing a 100% water change tonight and then putting the TPG in at full strength again. When do I do the next water change? Thank you very much for taking the time to advise me with this.

also doing a big water change in my 29 gallon tank to knock back the nitrates.

I did find one other store a little bit a ways from me that has some more TPG and will pick it up tomorrow.

Amanda, thank you for your kind words. I am very attached to my fish... I love having them.

off to change water

Pearl seems the same as when I left this morning. I just got set up to do a water change on both of my tanks. Pearl is the only fish that looks to be ill. The others are by appearances fine. After I finish with the water changes I will retest the nitrates.

Thanks for the well wishes!! Pearl is about the same this morning. I tried feeding her a few pellets and she can't keep them in her mouth. ;-( Blaze her tank mate was quick to suck up the pellets Pearl could not keep in.

Last evening I did a 100% water change. I added 100% strength TPG into the water afterwards. I will continue the rounds of TPG and 100% water changes for a total of 5 as you recommended dnlaex. I will let you know how it is going. she is responsive to my presence near or in the tank.I just keep sending her healing vibes, I am quite attached to her.

Test results this morning

pH 7.2

nitrates 0

nitrites 0

ammonia 0

I plan on testing the water daily and will be purchasing tests for minerals in the water. I have been told that the water here is soft.

Also did a 100% water change on my 29 gallon due to high nitrates and test results this morning

pH 7.2

nitrates 0

nitrites 0

ammonia 0

Thanks for the well wishes!! Pearl is about the same this morning. I tried feeding her a few pellets and she can't keep them in her mouth. ;-( Blaze her tank mate was quick to suck up the pellets Pearl could not keep in.

Last evening I did a 100% water change. I added 100% strength TPG into the water afterwards. I will continue the rounds of TPG and 100% water changes for a total of 5 as you recommended dnlaex. I will let you know how it is going. she is responsive to my presence near or in the tank.I just keep sending her healing vibes, I am quite attached to her.

Test results this morning

pH 7.2

nitrates 0

nitrites 0

ammonia 0

I plan on testing the water daily and will be purchasing tests for minerals in the water. I have been told that the water here is soft.

Also did a 100% water change on my 29 gallon due to high nitrates and test results this morning

pH 7.2

nitrates 0

nitrites 0

ammonia 0

Kendra, I hope Pearl is able to eat soon. If she gets to the point where she can physically eat but Blaze gets to all the food first, it is also an option to feed her in a floating mesh breeder or colander (or by hand). Alternatively, you could add a tank divider during feeding time to eliminate competition for food. I had to do this for my bubble eye when I first got him, but he quickly became just as capable of finding food as the other, less "disfigured" fish in the tank. :-)

sending the daily good-pearl-vibe! :)

(ps: i'm very attached to my sweeties, too… that's what i love about this forum. there are folk here in front of whom i can say that - who *absolutely* understand… thank u kokos!)

:P

Pearl is doing much better this morning!! Below is a link to a photo of her yesterday, bottom sitting, mouth open, tali and fins drooping. Very uncomfortable and sad little fishy.

Video today shows a much improved Pearl! Dnalex thank you so much for guiding me through treatment! I am very appreciative and so is Pearl.

Last night my boyfriend bought a piece of acrylic to divide the tank and then fed her small pellets, from a bowl in the bottom of the tank. She was able to eat. This morning I did the same thing but she only wanted to eat out of my hand, so I fed her that way and then removed the divider. She is lively and no longer bottom sitting. She also pooped this morning. I am just thrilled with the progress she has made.

Her tank mate Blaze has been keeping by her side the last few days, just sitting near her a lot. So sweet.

Tonight we will do another 100% water change and add the TPG again. Feeling quite hopeful for Pearl.

Thank you for all for the heart warming wishes for my fish.

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/yellowempress/library/?sort=3&page=1

We recently purchased a 65 gallon tank and hope to get it up and running in the near future. At some point, would love to put all 4 fish in a tank together. Honestly I did not imagine having more than 1 tank when we started this and figured on only 2 goldfish. But we love having them and are growing with them.

It is delightful to interact with the fish and they have such distinct personalities.

Have a wonderful day! Mine will be a brighter one for sure with Pearl feeling better.

What fantastic news! I'm very happy as well! :)

Please continue to remind me where we are in the treatment process as we move forward. My feeble can't remember much these days. :rofl