Sign in to follow this  
yafashelli

No Longer Bare, Sandy Bottom! Super Pic Heavy!

Wow! Tammy. I love it. The sparkle rocks and the rocks with words are really pretty. And the fish are just wonderful/. I have a picture of your old tank in my screensaver file, and it looks like i'll need to update it...

I like the lighter colored bottoms, because the fish seem to pop against it. My only objection is that they seem to get dirty quickly. Will look forward to hearing how you find the maintenance.

Congratulations!

mj

Gorgeous!!! :heart you have me all excited!!! :nana you, your fish, and your plants will love it!!!!

Thanks, Mikey! I've had my hands in the tank for the last two days, and my hands are like prunes. It's naptime, now! :rofl3

Aaahhhhhhhhh can I come over and watch them?!?

I love that sand sooooo much more than mine, it looks incredible!!! :wub: Enjoy that sand bottom~!! :heart :heart

/screeeeeam :happydance

Yes, you can come over and watch them. Just give me at least six months notice, so I can start picking up my son's mess. :rofl3

Next time it goes on sale, pick up a couple bags. It's really beautiful, and I also liked the texture of this much more than the Petco sand. I sat both side by side, for about a half hour, until I made the final decision. Lol!

I think I might have to make a transition.........maybe.

Yes! Do it, so that we can be plant/sand twins! Dooooo iiiiiit!

Wow! Tammy. I love it. The sparkle rocks and the rocks with words are really pretty. And the fish are just wonderful/. I have a picture of your old tank in my screensaver file, and it looks like i'll need to update it...

I like the lighter colored bottoms, because the fish seem to pop against it. My only objection is that they seem to get dirty quickly. Will look forward to hearing how you find the maintenance.

Congratulations!

mj

Wow! I can't believe that I'm on your screensaver; I feel honored! :o You'll have to tell me what picture! :P

Believe me, my big mouth will be sure to tell you all about how I'm liking this sand. :pp

tony+the+tiger.jpg

I think that says it all.

Nicely done Tammy.

:)

tony+the+tiger.jpg

I think that says it all.

Nicely done Tammy.

:)

Thanks, Mike!

:clapping:

I absolutely LOVE it!! :lisa:

And the rocks weren't from me, they were from Waldo, remember? He wanted to tell you thank you for helping his mom out so much with him and that you ROCK!! :rofl He thinks he's punny like :alex

:rofl3

Fabulous! I hope you continue to love it!!

:clapping:

I absolutely LOVE it!! :lisa:

And the rocks weren't from me, they were from Waldo, remember? He wanted to tell you thank you for helping his mom out so much with him and that you ROCK!! :rofl He thinks he's punny like :alex

:rofl3

Fabulous! I hope you continue to love it!!

Well, remember to thank Waldo, won't you? Tell him that he's super punny, like his uncle Alex. :D

I think (or at least, I hope) I'll continue to love it, even after the algae, and the fish, make it all disgusting. Lol! I got my pics now, because of it.

Your tank looks gorgeous Tammy!

Your tank looks gorgeous Tammy!

Thank you so much! :)

Gorgeous!!!!!!!

Thank you! :heart

your tank is just gorgeous!!!!

i have been thinking about sand vs. barebottom lately….. ooooo, here's another vote for sand….

:D

i'm curious about maintenance for sand. do we have any threads dedicated to sandybottom care, specifically?

The white sand and black background make such a wonderful canvas for all of your fish and your beautifully arranged plants and rocks. Gorgeous! How are the fish reacting to the change?

Edited by LisaCGold

Very very pretty, Tammy! I hope you love it!!

:o amazing how much it brightens up the tank :D How's your experience been with maintenance? Does it seem to get dirty faster than darker sand b/c it's white?

:o she just put the sand in yesterday :krazy: don't ask about maintenance yet :yikes

Ha! Not even yesterday! Last night, and then more this morning! :rofl3 I did a water change today, and it wasn't so bad. I'll still take the plants out, for each w/c, so that I can vac out the poop that accumulates around the rocks, but other than that, it should be fairly simple!

I take the plants and wood out cuz the poop tend to collect around them :teehee

your tank is just gorgeous!!!!

i have been thinking about sand vs. barebottom lately….. ooooo, here's another vote for sand….

:D

i'm curious about maintenance for sand. do we have any threads dedicated to sandybottom care, specifically?

I don't think so, but I would have liked to have seen one--I asked a LOT of questions before I did this. Lol! Over, and over, and over again.

You should make one!

The white sand and black background make such a wonderful canvas for all of your fish and your beautifully arranged plants and rocks. Gorgeous! How are the fish reacting to the change?

I was worried about the black background being too dark, actually, so I'm relived to hear someone say otherwise. Thank you! The fish seem to really like it, actually! :)

Very very pretty, Tammy! I hope you love it!!

Thanks so much, Shawn! :D I love it tons--let's see how it is six months from now. :rofl3

ok. maybe i will start a thread…! :D

lemme ask u this,

how would you compare the grain of your moonlight sand with the caribsea sunset gold? thing is, i want a natural look - and the off white will probably be too light.

a deeper natural color (browns, greens, blacks) would be ideal -- but it looks like w caribsea sand i'm looking either at the tahitian moon black (which i've had before and it drove me crazy - i actually didn't like the sparkle) or some level of off white.

sunset gold is currently in the running -- but are those coarser grains ok?

and: (haha! i'm now full of questions!) did you get any good info on all the 'eco' options that caribsea offers? some of those have slightly different color ranges, so they're on my radar….

:idont:hmm:)

ok. maybe i will start a thread…! :D

lemme ask u this,

how would you compare the grain of your moonlight sand with the caribsea sunset gold? thing is, i want a natural look - and the off white will probably be too light.

a deeper natural color (browns, greens, blacks) would be ideal -- but it looks like w caribsea sand i'm looking either at the tahitian moon black (which i've had before and it drove me crazy - i actually didn't like the sparkle) or some level of off white.

sunset gold is currently in the running -- but are those coarser grains ok?

and: (haha! i'm now full of questions!) did you get any good info on all the 'eco' options that caribsea offers? some of those have slightly different color ranges, so they're on my radar….

:idont:hmm:)

The sunset gold is a slightly larger grain size, and is a little bit darker. I think that Molly has it. She tried to tell me to get it, but it was already too late! Both are beautiful sands, and I highly recommend either one!

thanks, tammy :) i've been googling now for a while and leaning toward that sunset gold or pool filter sand -- we're still in 'discovery' but some time soon i'm going to go for it. your tank change is inspiring! :D

christina

thanks, tammy :) i've been googling now for a while and leaning toward that sunset gold or pool filter sand -- we're still in 'discovery' but some time soon i'm going to go for it. your tank change is inspiring! :D

christina

I was going to use pool filter sand, actually. The Caribsea went on sale before our part of the world started carrying it, so I took the plunge. I highly recommend PFS, but it will need a bit more rinsing than the Caribsea will.

christina

I was going to use pool filter sand, actually. The Caribsea went on sale before our part of the world started carrying it, so I took the plunge. I highly recommend PFS, but it will need a bit more rinsing than the Caribsea will.

great to know!

since all the darlings are currently in QTs, it's a good time to make adjustments to the main tank. quite excited for what's possible, now! :)

hope you've had a great evening!

Love it! :thumbs:

Thanks so much! :)

christina

great to know!

since all the darlings are currently in QTs, it's a good time to make adjustments to the main tank. quite excited for what's possible, now! :)

hope you've had a great evening!

Thank you! Let me know if you need more help making a decision!

It's gorgeous, Tammy! :D

Did you end up using any crushed coral? I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but have forgotten. :rofl

It's gorgeous, Tammy! :D

Did you end up using any crushed coral? I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but have forgotten. :rofl

Thanks, Dan. I haven't added crushed coral yet, but I might do so still. The difference in the sand textures is a little offputting, which is why I haven't bought a bag yet.

yeah we dont want tammys bottom to get irritated

:tomuch:

yeah we dont want tammys bottom to get irritated

:tomuch:

I must have a sand grain stuck somewhere because the filter is loud! :o:no:

All of me is irritated now, not just my bottom! :rofl3