Sucked up my red cap into my gravel vac!

So while I was just doing a water change, I was scrubbing algae and looking the opposite way and when I turned around my red cap was stuck in the vac!! I quickly turned of the vacuum and he swam out but now his tail has red streaks and is folded.

Is there anything I can do for him??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure that he is in pristine water.

If you can fill in the information in the chart listed at the top of the topic, the moderators will be able to give you better advice.

A picture would help assess damage. Until then, make sure that his water is sparkling clean and maybe turn off the light. If he is with other fish, you might want to isolate him if it looks like the others are bothering him.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) don't have a kit for this
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) don't have a kit for this
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) don't have a kit for this
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) don't have a kit for this
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Ammonia test kit (drops) and Nutrafin test pH (drops)
      • * Water temperature? 70
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 80 gallons, running for approximately 6 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 304
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Just changed about a half hour ago, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 fancies (overstocked, I know) ranging from 2-7 in. The fish in question is approximately 4 inches.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra Aqua Safe Plus
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari oranda, saki hikari and hikari goldfish staple. Bloodworms occasionally. Fed twice daily.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Yes, a 2 in telescope was added on Wednesday after 4 weeks of QT
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I added 7 tbsp salt to the tank after I finished filling.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red streaks in tail, tail is bent
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Seems to be swimming and eating fine.

It was probably more traumatic for you than the fish. :teehee

If no other fish is picking on him, I'd leave him in the main tank and keep the water pristine as Susanne said. Obviously if they start harassing him, he starts acting abnormally and/or he won't eat isolate him and let us know.

The red in his tail will most likely clear up. Not sure about the bend without seeing a pic.

Keep us posted. :)

I would put some netting over the siphon. You can just use the netting used to tie hams, clemetines, etc. You can secure it with a rubber band. That should prevent it from happening again. I hope he feels better.

Checked on him this morning, he still has the red streaks but his tail seems to be coming unbent, it just looks a little wrinkled now. I tried to get photos but none of them turned out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk