Is Your HOB Noisy? Comments Please

This has probably been discussed in an older thread so please pardon me if it is redundant :)

Excluding canister filters, I am just curious about your hang-on-back filters.

This is not to say that they are all noisy. I have a pretty silent Fluval C2 and I HAD a pretty noisy Fluval C4 (2 of them). I also have a humming Aqua Clear. Is it just luck? 'hit & miss'? Some people might think this is a petty peeve but I find a 'more than normal' amount of noise coming from a filter annoying. A little sound coming from the filter is to be expected. However, I have been through several NEW hob filters because it either has an annoying 'HUMMmm' or it Rattles. Is there a brand that is proven to be quiet? Which brand have you found to be the quietest? I have replaced motors & impellers. I know sometimes the rattling is caused by the impeller or the plastic parts. I have tried silicon on the impeller shafts which has sometimes worked temporarily. I have put thin layers of aquarium sealant on the lids in an effort to limit noise.

Just curious... How do you like your hob? and what brand? :hi

I have the Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 and it is actually quiet, except for the "water splash" noises it makes which I don't mind. The main annoying noise is the humming or grating sound of the impeller and I barely hear the impeller running on this filter. I have never tried any other brands except the Aqueon QuietFlow series, so I am no help there haha.

But this probably does not relate to this as it is a HOB for reptiles I guess, but I have a Reptofilter 125g and OMG. There is a huge humming noise from the impeller and there is no way I know how to stop that. I am actually worried it will bother my turtle and fish in there. I could hear it from across the kitchen :/ Just makes me worried they won't get sleep because of this.

Edited by orangeboar

I have used Marineland, Aqueon, and Tetra HOBs. They were all very quiet and worked very well. The only noise an HOB is likely to have is the water splashing, but that would be easily remedied by raising the water line.

I love the sound of the water splash. I can close my eyes and pretend it is a babbling brook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Supporter

Ive had tetra, marineland, aqueon, and aquaclear. The small marineland is the quietest I have probably followed by the tetra. The ACs are reasonably quiet, especially if you remove the lids. The marineland 400 was the loudest filter ive ever seen. Also every aqueon ive had has been loud. Thats just my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Noisy is also a very relative term. I have a 10 year old boy along with his friends plus a 12 year old daughter who likes to FaceTime everyone on the planet. With all the :blahblah going on here, I don't here my filters at all.

I could send the kids to your house. :rofl3

Seriously though, it does depend on the "background" noise at your house. When I'm home alone, like now, I do notice the sound of the filter. But when the furnace kicks on, I won't hear the filter anymore. The main sound I hear is the water coming out of hte intake and the bubbles from the air stone hitting the surface. If you're looking for quiet, a canister is the way to go. :D

:yikes I can't believe I just said that. :o

Also I know there are a few members with AquaClear filters that leave the top off of the filter because it rattles. :idont

I have an Aqueon and two canisters. The Aqueon is the only one I hear. I consider it pretty loud. I will sometimes unplug it for an hour or so if I am watching a movie in the basement.

I have a sunsun canister and it is very quiet. Sometimes I have to check the water surface to see if it is on lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's how my AC 20 is on the betta tank. I think the bigger the filter, the less likely it is to be silent. Well, as far as HOBs are concerned. :D

Of an Aqueon, two AC 70s and an Emperor, the Emperor won the quiet game.

I prefer how you can set up (and quickly clean) the AC so it was a fair trade off to me.. the rattling of the AC lid is what gets me, and I think your idea of adding a little sealant to the lid is brilliant! :D

I have 2 Aqueon 55/75 filter's on my 55 gallon and they are great!!!!! The only noise is the water splashing. I like it. I have 2 Penguin 350 filter's and they are also great!!!!

I'm extremely picky when it comes to filter noise since my goldfish tank is right near my bed. I have two other, smaller tanks as well and I live in a studio apartment so everything is in one room. Loud motors and/or rattling drives me mad! That being said, I have 2 Fluval C4 filters on my goldfish tank and I LOVE them! I've gone through a bunch of other filters that drove me nuts with the noise but the Fluvals are powerful, well designed, and quiet. Right now I'm home alone in my silent apartment maybe 5 feet from the goldfish tank and all I hear is a very, very faint noise coming it. They aren't dead silent (I don't think any filter powerful enough for a goldfish tank is COMPLETELY undetectably silent, though I hear canisters are close) and everyone is different when it comes to how much/what type of noise they can tolerate. Still, I think I'm much pickier than most people when it comes to filter noise and I'm satisfied.

That being said, each of my C4's was kind of loud when I first set it up. No rattling or anything but the "rushing" sound of the motor running was pretty noisy. After a few weeks each of them settled down. Until then I muffled it as best I could by covering the filter (minus the motor) with towels and just sucking it up until they became quiet. Since you said you had 2 that were bad I don't know what to tell you. :( Did you let them run for a few weeks before giving up though? Like I said, it made a major difference for me.

We currently have two Aquaclear 50s, and an Aqueon 10 plus a variety of 'no name brands'. Previously we have also owned an Aquaclear 20 and a Tetra (I forget what it was rated as, but it was one of the smaller ones). None of our current filters make any noticeable noise (other than splashing water). If I really stop to listen the Aqueon is quieter, but that may be more to do with the fact than it's newer (the AC's are 6 and 10 years respectively). The only filter I ever remember experiencing any noise with was the Tetra filter. I got rid of that one as soon as possible - partly for noise, but partly because I was unimpressed by it's filtering ability. I had it for less than a year.

I can say with the AC filters that if I ever get lazy and don't clean the impeller for a while I do start to notice a bit of a hum. Rinsing out any gunk (eg. vegetable matter that gets sucked in and builds up, cat hair, etc) on a regular basis prevents this from happening. I pull out the magnetized impeller and rinse it, pulling off any more persistent materials manually. Then I use q-tips to clean out the well it sits in. As long as I keep up with this cleaning (once or twice a month) I find they run really quietly.

I have 3 aqueon 55/75 which are my quietest filters. Next are the 2 aquatechs from Wal-Mart. The terra whisper 60 sounded like a train going through my bedroom since the day I bought it. Then the impeller busted. I was actually glad.

I am very happy with my Tetra Whisper filters. They are super quiet and powerful. I only have one (I got it used) that is slightly noisy. You can hear the noise of the water rushing through it no matter what you do.

All the other ones are very quiet :)

• Admin

My last 110 AC filter even after a clean and lube went to the noisy side... Also just bought a Emperor and after a month... Noisy... This is why Im building a pond, cant take it anymore...

For the most part, my Aquaclear harem (7-9, excluding spare parts) has been very well behaved. When noisy I clean them and restart. Sometimes I need to restart a couple of times before it quietens down. All but one have been bought used.

In my son's bedroom his AC50 is pretty quiet if we keep the water level high. Splashing noise increases as the water level drops. I am considering doing Shahako's gravity fed pond pump for his bedroom. Her design uses a submerged water pump that slowly flows back into the tank. This outflow can be submerged and should be very quiet. Still, the AC has not been noisy enough for my son to insist on making the pump (I have all the parts).

Less splashing noise means less oxygenation of the water, meaning not as good for the goldies. Really, I find an air pump or bubble wall much more noisy than an AC.

We currently have two Aquaclear 50s, and an Aqueon 10 plus a variety of 'no name brands'. Previously we have also owned an Aquaclear 20 and a Tetra (I forget what it was rated as, but it was one of the smaller ones). None of our current filters make any noticeable noise (other than splashing water). If I really stop to listen the Aqueon is quieter, but that may be more to do with the fact than it's newer (the AC's are 6 and 10 years respectively). The only filter I ever remember experiencing any noise with was the Tetra filter. I got rid of that one as soon as possible - partly for noise, but partly because I was unimpressed by it's filtering ability. I had it for less than a year.

I can say with the AC filters that if I ever get lazy and don't clean the impeller for a while I do start to notice a bit of a hum. Rinsing out any gunk (eg. vegetable matter that gets sucked in and builds up, cat hair, etc) on a regular basis prevents this from happening. I pull out the magnetized impeller and rinse it, pulling off any more persistent materials manually. Then I use q-tips to clean out the well it sits in. As long as I keep up with this cleaning (once or twice a month) I find they run really quietly.

i have a similar experience - two AC 70's which are quite quiet when i stay on task keeping the impellers clean. that said, the rattling lid does drive me absolutely batty… great idea to work out some kind of sealant or padding -- suppose i could keep the lids off, too… does anyone put their (pothos or bamboo) directly into the top of the filter boxes?

i have a similar experience - two AC 70's which are quite quiet when i stay on task keeping the impellers clean. that said, the rattling lid does drive me absolutely batty… great idea to work out some kind of sealant or padding -- suppose i could keep the lids off, too… does anyone put their (pothos or bamboo) directly into the top of the filter boxes?

That's odd about your lids rattling. I never noticed any kind of lid rattle until I built a 'cat guard' to prevent my one cat falling in the back of the tank. The back end rests on top of the filters and it rattles a bit with the vibrations from the filter, sort of an amplifier, but even so it's not very loud. The place has to be dead quiet to hear it.

I do. I have an AC 20 with lid off and lucky bamboo in the box.

hi bronwyn, hi lisa,

my lids don't rattle all the time -- it's just oddly every once in a while. sometimes i'll be standing in the kitchen and all of the sudden! a buzzing from the dining room! one little adjustment is all it takes to correct it. but honestly...

anyhow… i will have pothos and bamboo back in the main tank (currently being put back together) - and this time maybe i'll leave the lids off. plants inside the boxes could be a nice addition to the ones i have directly in the tank.

nice to know - thanks lisa! :)

christine

Edited by melusine

Yes Goldenhero, I had one C4 running for over a month before I replaced it. The second one ran for nearly 2 months. Same problem with the noisy impeller. I got tired of playing around with it every other day. I ended up replacing it with an AC70, which I like because it does hold nearly twice the amount of bio material in the box. BUT THE DARN THING HUMMMZzzzzzzzz.. I have canisters on my other aquariums and they are nearly silent. This particular aquarium is between my family room and living room on a granite countertop. Unfortunately no room for a canister there :)

I'm extremely picky when it comes to filter noise since my goldfish tank is right near my bed. I have two other, smaller tanks as well and I live in a studio apartment so everything is in one room. Loud motors and/or rattling drives me mad! That being said, I have 2 Fluval C4 filters on my goldfish tank and I LOVE them! I've gone through a bunch of other filters that drove me nuts with the noise but the Fluvals are powerful, well designed, and quiet. Right now I'm home alone in my silent apartment maybe 5 feet from the goldfish tank and all I hear is a very, very faint noise coming it. They aren't dead silent (I don't think any filter powerful enough for a goldfish tank is COMPLETELY undetectably silent, though I hear canisters are close) and everyone is different when it comes to how much/what type of noise they can tolerate. Still, I think I'm much pickier than most people when it comes to filter noise and I'm satisfied.

That being said, each of my C4's was kind of loud when I first set it up. No rattling or anything but the "rushing" sound of the motor running was pretty noisy. After a few weeks each of them settled down. Until then I muffled it as best I could by covering the filter (minus the motor) with towels and just sucking it up until they became quiet. Since you said you had 2 that were bad I don't know what to tell you. :( Did you let them run for a few weeks before giving up though? Like I said, it made a major difference for me.