Goldfish with black eyes

If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it. I have been wondering this for a while, and if anyone knows the answer, that would be great!

I noticed that calico type goldfish seems to have one or both black eyes. I think I read up on this that the calico colour genetic makeup itself causes the black eye? If so, then it's understandable to me. But then I noticed that a bunch of pearlscale goldfish also usually have one or both black eyes and are normal coloured. Like if you look on Raingarden, a bunch of them have one black eye. I have not noticed this on any other goldfish type (or maybe I am just not seeing right haha), but the other species usually have both normal looking eyes. So what makes the pearlscale trait? I admit back when I was picking out pearlscales, it was extremely hard because even at the LFS, almost all of them had at least one black eye. Is it the "pearls"? Well hrm. Thanks for answering.

EDIT: Well Reading up further, I guess the term for this is "button eyes"? XD

Edited by orangeboar

I don't know the specifics about this, but have observed a similar thing.

I relate the black eye more to the nacreous scales than to the breed of the fish itself. Many pearlscales are nacreous, that is why in this breed we find button eyes more often than in other breeds.

Except for shubunkins and calico colored specimens in other breeds, of course, since calico colored fish have mostly nacreous scales. :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Sorry I can't help you on the technical aspect of this. I have wondered the same thing. I was noticing some fish in the store the other day (shubunkins) and some of them had black eyes. One had only one black eye. It almost looked larger than the other eye. I looked hard, wondering if something was wrong with the fish? hehe :)

Thank you! I did NOT know that pearlscales were nacreous haha. Learned something new today. So I guess that would kind of make sense then. But scale type connecting button eyes together... Genetics is a funny thing. xD

Yeah Mrs. Kay. I noticed that too. The kinda bigger bulgy eyes. xD Made the fish look weird. And then of course the black eyes.

I noticed for the black eyes, if you look at them from the front view, the eyes seem completely normal! So I guess the "pupil" is still there, just the "background" of the eye is all black o_O. Not sure how else to describe it haha.

I used to be weirded out by button eyes too. :peeka I almost didn't get my lionhead because of them! :o

Now, all but one eyeballs in my tank are black. Soooo, is this to say you did or did not choose a new little pearlie? :idont

Oh this was just a general question I had regarding what I noticed about pearlscales.

I did indeed choose a new pearly. 3 in fact... xD 2 died because the pet store got them all infected X_X I am VERY nitpicky about anything I am ashamed to say. So one black eye would be bothering me until the end of time. xD But I can get used to it... which is why I bought a Raingarden Pearly. She had a black eye. It was in this thread here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116212-i-am-so-sad-but-it-is-for-the-best/

Had to rehome her, not for her eye haha, but because I didn't have enough room.

Edited by orangeboar

Oh this was just a general question I had regarding what I noticed about pearlscales.

I did indeed choose a new pearly. 3 in fact... xD 2 died because the pet store got them all infected X_X I am VERY nitpicky about anything I am ashamed to say. So one black eye would be bothering me until the end of time. xD But I can get used to it... which is why I bought a Raingarden Pearly. She had a black eye. It was in this thread here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116212-i-am-so-sad-but-it-is-for-the-best/

Had to rehome her, not for her eye haha, but because I didn't have enough room.

oooohhhhh. Right. :(

I did read that thread, I had meant to comment on it. But I think you did a very good and unselfish thing to move her to a pond. :hug

Aww thank you Jen. I teared up a bit when I left. She was like everything I had been looking for in a pearly. Her body was super round haha, but not bulging out like the other pingpong pearlscales on the internet. I like the look of those, but worried about swim bladder problems in the future.

If I am being honest with myself, I cannot do the upkeep of having a pond. So only aquariums for me. But yeah, even if I upgrade my tank way up, I think my common goldfish will be taking up most of the space haha, so I have my 4 permanent forever goldies. No more. <3

guanine deposits under the scales cause the reflective sheen that makes a metallic scale look shiny. the scales on a calico that are shiny have guanine deposits underneath them, those that don't appear matt or transparent. This also applies to the gill plates and eyes. No guanine on the back of the eye and you get button eyes. No guanine on the gill plates and you get rosy cheeks.