• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight:

Ammonia <.25

Nitrite .50

Nitrate 0

I should be prepared for a water change tomorrow, shouldn't I. Should I be doing more than 50% now? Also, I think my filter may be slowing down a little. There is quite a bit of, debris we'll call it, on the surface of the sand, and some stuck to the outside of the filter intake. Is it time to clean the filter... and then how again? Just take out all the media and swish in tank water? Or do I take the filter box off the back and clean it out too? Or should I just leave it alone a while longer to avoid crashing what cycle I've got started?...

Yep, plan on a WC tomorrow. It depends on the nitrite tomorrow but I would plan on 50-75%.

For now, clean off the intake, and spray off the sponge and blue filter pad (if you have that, can't remember) with the sprayer thing from the sink. Leave the biomedia alone and I wouldn't do anything to the filter itself. :D

Yep, plan on a WC tomorrow. It depends on the nitrite tomorrow but I would plan on 50-75%.

For now, clean off the intake, and spray off the sponge and blue filter pad (if you have that, can't remember) with the sprayer thing from the sink. Leave the biomedia alone and I wouldn't do anything to the filter itself. :D

Got it, thank you! :)

Yes, this :)

Sorry so late to post this, busy afternoon/evening...

Before wc:
Ammonia .25

Nitrite 1.0-2.0?

Nitrate 0

pH

Tank 8.2

Tap 8.0

So I did a 75% wc and cleaned the sponges as directed above (well, I had help today!) I sure hope that improves the filter function again, because I was disappointed in my new gravel vac. We got a size bigger, one that said for tanks over 40 gallons. It did go faster, but didn't pick up much better than the little one.

I was given a spixy snail today - is there any process of qt for snails, or do I just put it in? :idont

Never heard of that kind of snail. :hmm

Anyway, for snails, I usually keep them in a separate container (doesn't have to be large If its just the one snail, depending on its size even a gallon would do) and do daily 100% WCs for about 2 weeks, no meds needed. :)

Edit. Looked it up. Type of apple snail, huh? :idont

Edited by fantailfan1

Never heard of that kind of snail. :hmm

Anyway, for snails, I usually keep them in a separate container (doesn't have to be large If its just the one snail, depending on its size even a gallon would do) and do daily 100% WCs for about 2 weeks, no meds needed. :)

Edit. Looked it up. Type of apple snail, huh? :idont

Cool, thanks!

You COULD add Tetra SafeStart. It is kinda worth the risk as many people has successfully cycled their tank with it.

You COULD add Tetra SafeStart. It is kinda worth the risk as many people has successfully cycled their tank with it.

I haven't seen it work for very many people, Vodka. Instant-cycle products like that are very hit-and-miss and it will still take awhile before the tank is truly cycled whether additives are put in or not.

Edited by ChelseaM

I saw the reviews of the TetraSafe. Most of the people there said it was good. But like I said, you will take risks.

I saw the reviews of the TetraSafe. Most of the people there said it was good. But like I said, you will take risks.

Reviews aren't as credible as experience. : ) The consensus here is that bacterial products like TSS aren't really worth it because they don't offer anything we cannot create more quickly ourselves. People have found that sometimes they work, but it is rare. On the Kokosgoldfish main site there is an article on the Nitrogen Cycle and fishlessly cycling an aquarium. I think it will give you an idea of how Lisa and J are instructing the cycle be made.

I have used BioSpira to fishlessly cycle a tank. But that was back when it was a refrigerated product and I do think the product has since changed. One of the main drawbacks to these products is that for them to be effective at all they need to be in the tank for a minimum of 5-7 days for the bacteria to colonize. And, if you have fish in your tank, you are usually changing water much more frequently than that. I'm sure SweetMamaKaty can vouch for me on that. :rofl

If I was to do another fishless cycle, I would probably give one of the products on the market a try. But I wouldn't bother using any of them with fish in the tank as you'll be changing out the water too frequently to benefit from it. And that's assuming the products work. As Chelsea said, many in the hobby are not convinced they have much impact. :D

Interesting discussion, thanks everyone!

I tried to look it up a little this morning, and read that they don't make that product anymore, but the owners of the company also own the company that makes SafeStart. I read though that if there was any point in the delivery of the product where it came into contact with too high of temps, it would be rendered useless, which could possibly explain why some claim success while others say it doesn't work.

Today before wc,

Ammonia .25

Nitrate .5 - 1.0

Nitrate 0

pH

8.0 tap

8.2 tank

Went ahead with a 75% because I had a good block of time to work on it! Trying again with no divider. It's been 1.5... 2? Hours, and so far he hasn't paid any attention to her. Fingers crossed! :D

Good luck without the divider. :D

I can send media if you want it. :teehee My BBs are very robust I've been told. :flex:

:tomuch:

Aw, gimme another month... :lol3 But really, I should set some kind of a date, that if it's not cycled by... July 1st... I will just accept that it's not going to happen in this lifetime and have you send some. :lol3

I am one of the recipients of Lisa's robust BB's. :teehee I will vouch for her!

She had my cycle going in less than a week, after about three weeks of 3x daily water changes because my nitrites were off the charts within hours. :thud