Please help me figure out what is wrong with my fish

andry6

OK, since I'm using prazi in the tank, I'm due for a large water change tomorrow. After that I will wait 24 hrs and re-test the GH

OK, so I know it hasn't been 24 hours yet, but I just tested the water out of my tap today and the GH is low also. One drop and it immediately showed a pale green. When I tested it the other day, it must have been right before our water softener went through a regeneration cycle and the water was "harder". So I've come to the conclusion that I either have to have my husband run a water line especially for my use for the fish tank which bypasses the water softener, or buy something to raise the GH in my tank.

My easiest choice is to buy something to raise the GH, because the water line would most likely be in my basement and I sure would hate to have to lug bucket after bucket up a flight of stairs and across the house with every water change. :thumbdown

I know that two products are Seachem Equilibrium or Replenish. Since I don't have a planted tank would Replenish be my better choice?

I believe Alex uses Epsom salt among other things to bring his GH up. If he doesn't pop in sometime this evening, I'll bring this to his attention. :D

Thank you! Actually I have TONS of Epsom salt left over from an injury my horse had and have been looking for a way to get rid of it! :D

I'll wait to hear what he says!

They seem to be acting much better. Eating very well too! No more floating or bottom sitting and they aren't slurping at the surface after eating anymore. When I did the water change they didn't even flinch that my hand was in there rearranging the plants. They swam right up to it! So...I'm still super confused as to their previous behavior. Could flukes or some other parasite/worm have been the cause and the Prazi is working to remedy whatever was going on??

For now, I would recommend trying Replenish or Equilibrium. A few of us are in the middle of testing the DIY gH boosting in the goldfish setting, but it will be a little while longer before I am comfortable making this a public recommendation. :)

Ok. Thank you! :) I will order some tomorrow. I can't find a LFS around here that carries it :(

If you are going to order, another option is the Ultimate gH Booster from Green Leaf Aquariums. :)

Ok. Thank you! :) I will order some tomorrow. I can't find a LFS around here that carries it :(

If you are going to order, another option is the Ultimate gH Booster from Green Leaf Aquariums. :)

Is there one you prefer over the other? :undecided:

They seem to be acting much better. Eating very well too! No more floating or bottom sitting and they aren't slurping at the surface after eating anymore. When I did the water change they didn't even flinch that my hand was in there rearranging the plants. They swam right up to it! So...I'm still super confused as to their previous behavior. Could flukes or some other parasite/worm have been the cause and the Prazi is working to remedy whatever was going on??

I use gh booster from green leaf aquariums. It's cheaper than replenish or flourish.

Regarding your fishes' previous behavior, when my fish were going through fluke die-off (due to praziquantel treatment) and then secondary infection due to die-off they had very similar symptoms to your fish, including freaking out during water changes. When they started getting better they wouldn't flinch during water changes and would alway swim close to where my hand was and just generally acted like water changes didn't bother them (they liked trying to eat everything that was floating in the water).

Most likely flukes and the die-off process in the early rounds of praziquantel were causing many of the symptoms your fish were exhibiting. Praziquantel works quite well, and it was hard for me to watch the early healing process.

Edit: just tonight as I was fixing a plant in the tank, one of my goldfish came over and fish kissed my hand several times. Love, love, love it!

Edited by LisaCGold

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! :hi

I just wanted to post an update on my fishies. Both seem to be back to normal. :clapping:

I have been doing the Prazi/salt treatments and just started round 4 yesterday. Feeding Hikari purple pellets (which they LOVE!) and have no floaty issues that I was previously having.

Can anyone tell me if 4 treatments of the Prazi is enough? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to stop too soon either.

I'm still waiting for the Seachem Replenish to arrive to boost the GH. Not sure why it's taking so long to arrive, but when it does I'll be straightening out my GH problem and hopefully all will be well.

It will be one year of fish keeping in May for me and I can't thank all of you enough for walking me through and holding my hand through all of this! I never knew how much was involved in keeping a happy healthy tank! I know I still have A LOT to learn, but it's comforting to know I have a place to go when I need help!

If both are acting normally, you can stop after this round. I like to treat every 3-6 months just to keep the fluke population under control. When I do this, I simply add a dose of Prazi after a routine weekly WC, no salt. It stays active for about 4 days and I continue on with my regular WC a week after I added the prazi.

When and how often (or if you even treat routinely) is up to you. I don't stick with a real tight schedule. It depends on what I'm seeing in the tank. I last treated about a month ago as had noticed 3 of my 4 fish yawning excessively. Added the prazi, the fish did not seem to even know it was in there but the yawning was done by the end of treatment. :D

Let us know if you need help with the GH.

I'm glad things are going so well!! :nana

Hi guys! :hi

I just wanted to post an update on my fishies. Both seem to be back to normal. :clapping:

I have been doing the Prazi/salt treatments and just started round 4 yesterday. Feeding Hikari purple pellets (which they LOVE!) and have no floaty issues that I was previously having.

Can anyone tell me if 4 treatments of the Prazi is enough? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to stop too soon either.

I'm still waiting for the Seachem Replenish to arrive to boost the GH. Not sure why it's taking so long to arrive, but when it does I'll be straightening out my GH problem and hopefully all will be well.

It will be one year of fish keeping in May for me and I can't thank all of you enough for walking me through and holding my hand through all of this! I never knew how much was involved in keeping a happy healthy tank! I know I still have A LOT to learn, but it's comforting to know I have a place to go when I need help!

I think 4 rounds is enough. :)

About half a year from now, when you remember, just add a dose in after a WC, and then forget about it. :)

I'm so happy everyone is doing well! :)