andry6

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5 ppm
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 7.6 (KH 7 drops/125.3) (GH the first drop turns the water a very light green. Never registers orange at all. Why is the tank water softer than the tap??? because I added the salt??( see below)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) PH 7.6 (KH 7 drops/125.3) (GH 7 drops)

• Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit (drops)/API GH & KH test kit (drops)
  • * Water temperature? 68 degrees F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gal./running for almost 10 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Tetra Whisper 30 (145 gph) & Aqueon 30 (200 gph) so...345 gph
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week/40%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago/80%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish(oranda & fantail)/approx. 4 1/2 - 5" including tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime with every water change
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Previously fed API premium goldfish pellets (sinking)

Marineland color-enhancing goldfish flakes (soaked in tank water for 5-10 minutes so they sink)

Peas (once a week)

Stopped feeding those foods and began feeding Hikari purple pellets on 2/28 (just a few pellets once daily to see how they would react to the new food)

Fed peas only on Sunday, 3/2 once I noticed a problem

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

• * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi and salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Sunday a.m. did 80% water change and added prazi and .1% salt to tank. Nothing since then.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I can see red veins in white oranda's tail. Normally only one or two, but Sunday I noticed a couple more
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

(FYI: I refer to them as "he/him" but have no idea if they are boys or girls!)

Sunday morning I woke to the oranda acting normal but fantail was sitting with his belly resting on the gravel at the bottom of the tank. He would swim when provoked by the other fish, but then return to back corner of tank and rest on the bottom again.

In a panic, I only checked ammonia (.25) and nitrates (10), nothing else. (Not sure why I had the ammonia - but I've been at zero since then.)

I immediately did the 80% water change and added Prazi and salt. (I was going to do the Prazi last week in response to my previous post ("why does my fantail do this after eating") but didn't get a chance until Sunday due to my busy schedule and sick family) I decided to give them a couple of peas because I was afraid that the fantail was constipated. I noticed long clear poo stuck to one of the plastic plants in the tank, but I don't know who made it. After I fed the peas the fantail had THE BIGGEST, FATEST green poo about 1/2" long come out. I've never seen poo so big.

Toward the end of the day Sunday, the fantail seemed to be acting normal again. I figured that he must have felt great after making that gigantic poo! But, the oranda started acting a little slower than normal. Not coming up to the tank to greet us etc. Both fish had their fins up, so I thought that was a good sign.

Yesterday, they seemed to be acting close to normal, but I noticed the clear stringy poo again. I fed them a few pellets and kept an eye on them. Everything seemed ok. They were greeting us at the tank like normal.

Today, when I go near the tank, the fantail will occasionally dart away and hide behind a plant. (not every time, but he doesn't normally do this) I threw in a pea for each of them and they gobbled them up. As soon as I walk away he comes out and acts "normal" swimming around looking for food at the bottom of the tank, fins up...and the oranda is acting totally fine! I am so confused right now.

I know I'm throwing a lot out here, but so much is happening over the past few days and only having these to fish for less than a year with no previous fish knowledge I don't know what to do. I feel helpless to say the least.

Edited by andry6

Let me sum up the things that are problematic, and then we can go from there, after you verify

1 - low to no gH in the tank, despite good levels in the tap

2 - fish have become skittish since Sunday

3 - other changes in behavior

4 - both still eating well, Saki purple only now...

Sorry to hear that you fish are not feeling well. A couple questions for you that may help the moderators to guide you: Is this the first prazi treatment that you have done for these fish? If not, when was the last prazi treatment prior to this current one. What other fish medications do you have on hand?

I prazied about 6 months ago. That was the one and only time since purchasing these little guys last May. And I do not have any other meds on hand since I have never had a need.

Darting was the behavior that really worried me. They have never done that. It's as if they were afraid of me when I came by the tank. :cry

I did notice the stringy poo. It was super skinny, like thread, about a 1/2" long (still attached to him). It was food colored, then clear, then food colored. (thicker in the spots where the food color was)

I threw some pellets in there and they both charged at it like they've never been fed in their life. So, they are still very much interested in food and continued to search for scraps on the bottom of the tank.

I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that has happened to spook them. I'm so confused at how they have been acting.

Can the GH level be bothering them? I don't understand how the levels on the tap are ok but the tank is so low. Could it be because I added salt and they were shocked by it? They weren't darting until after I treated the tank and added the salt. And today they aren't darting - could they have adjusted to the change in the water? (FYI: We do have a water softener but the GH on the tap is ok for them isn't it?)

On top of that, I still don't understand the previous bottom sitting of the one fish or the poo. Constipation? Something internal - parasite/infection?

I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that has happened to spook them. I'm so confused at how they have been acting.

Can the GH level be bothering them? I don't understand how the levels on the tap are ok but the tank is so low. Could it be because I added salt and they were shocked by it? They weren't darting until after I treated the tank and added the salt. And today they aren't darting - could they have adjusted to the change in the water? (FYI: We do have a water softener but the GH on the tap is ok for them isn't it?)

On top of that, I still don't understand the previous bottom sitting of the one fish or the poo. Constipation? Something internal - parasite/infection?

While going through fluke treatment, your fish may be irritated (bottom sitting, darting, looking forlorn, etc.). Fluke die-off can cause this. The hope is that this irritation doesn't go on for many days. Possibly the poo will even out by then too.

Regarding the water GH issue, I've not heard that salt affects the GH. What type of salt are you using?

I am using API aquarium salt

Okay, I've sent a message to the moderators asking about this GH issue. I doubt the salt is affecting the GH.

GH is a measurement of calcium and magnesium in the water (and other metal oriented ions). Magnesium does help with regular pooing and other bodily functions. Calcium is needed for bones, teeth, and scales (also aided by other minerals).

When do you notice that the tank GH goes down after a water change? 2-3 days after? What is the tank GH immediately after a water change?

I am using API aquarium salt

Okay, I've sent a message to the moderators asking about this GH issue. I doubt the salt is affecting the GH.

GH is a measurement of calcium and magnesium in the water (and other metal oriented ions). Magnesium does help with regular pooing and other bodily functions. Calcium is needed for bones, teeth, and scales (also aided by other minerals).

When do you notice that the tank GH goes down after a water change? 2-3 days after? What is the tank GH immediately after a water change?

Unfortunately, I don't usually check the GH. I figured that what was coming out of the tap was ok, and I never thought that once in the tank the GH would go down.

The minerals start to be used once they are in the tank, but for it to drop that much in a week does sound suspicious. When was the last time you did a water change?

I changed it on Sunday morning. Prior to that, I change it once a week - about 40%. I checked the hardness of our tap (city) water months ago and it seemed fine, so I never really paid attention to the hardness in the tank again. The PH is always at 7.6 - never changes.

So when you took the tank GH measurement that you indicated in the form, it was just before the water change? And the tap GH measurement was done months ago? Can you test the GH of the tap water now?

Also, regarding the minerals that make up GH, aquatic plants also use those minerals. Do you have lots of live aquatic plants in your tank?

So when you took the tank GH measurement that you indicated in the form, it was just before the water change? And the tap GH measurement was done months ago? Can you test the GH of the tap water now?

Also, regarding the minerals that make up GH, aquatic plants also use those minerals. Do you have lots of live aquatic plants in your tank?

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The GH measurement that I indicated in the form was taken yesterday. I tested the tap. tested the tank and posted the results. The water change was Sunday and I did not test the GH on that day. Prior to that I hadn't tested the GH for months because what came out of the tap back then was at an acceptable level.

All plants in the tank are fake.